Your opinion on stock cut springs?

mustang_guy

Established Member
Ive been hearing about cutting half coil on your stock springs on an 03-04 cobra to lower it. Ive been told the ride quality is better than the H&R springs. Whats your opinion on this? Anyone have it done?

SLEEPERSTATUS

Banned
my buddys redfire with cut srpings hes says theres no prob at all i think i might do it as well
CIMG1020.jpg

Jefe

Established Member
Doing that exact thing Saturday hopefully. 1/2 coil front and rear maybe 3/4 coil rear to bring it down a bit more. They ride just like stock which usually means better than aftermarket. Linear > progressive

Is that your Cobra? Looks lowered in the front already...

I had H&R's before, Super sports, and they were so bouncy on rough roads it was horrible.

Last edited:

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
I have cut the springs on dozens of Cobras and everyone has liked how they came out and how good the ride is.

They have linear rate springs so it doesn't affect ride quality. Also, you can get the EXACT ride height you desire by cutting them. Not what some company "Thinks" is the ride height you want.

Another plus is that you don't have to remove the isolators to get the desired ride height like a lot of people do with aftermarket springs.

I actually have my front springs cut and I have H&R race in the rear. (Only because I wanted to bring the stance in the rear back up a little more and someone here had a set of H&R's when I was looking for another stock set to cut).

mustang_guy

Established Member
cool. Good news.
I recently found out my car has 1/2 coil stock springs cut in it. The car sits really nice but the rear sometimes looks a bit high. I was a bit surprised to see stock cut springs in it and I didnt think it would be a proper setup. The ride is good tho and the stance it almost perfect so I will most likely keep the stock springs.

Here is a picture of what it looks like, the rear is a bit high depending how Im parked

3-11.jpg

5-16.jpg

back.gif

Jefe

Established Member
Those 18's definitely make it look lower than it is too. Any scraping issues?

mustang_guy

Established Member
Those 18's definitely make it look lower than it is too. Any scraping issues?

No scrapping issues at all but I take it easy on the bumps and driveways. The BBK X pipe on it sits a little bit low tho and I scrape on it (very rarely) when getting onto high driveways. If it was a magnaflow or UPR X pipe scrapping the exhaust would not be an issue.

blackvenom77

killer cobra
Established Member
I cut one full coil off mine with no isolators. It rides and looks perfect! :rockon:

It scrapes but that comes with the territory thank goodness it's not a daily driver.

YGETV8

Established Member
Use an abrasive cutting wheel. You can get them for use in disc sanders or die grinders with the right attachments.

I find it funny that this same question (posted quite often) a couple years ago brought the scorn of many, saying: "Don't be ghetto. You've got a $35K car... spend the money for real springs!" Now that enough of us have done it, you don't hear near the negative comments! I cut mine several years ago, about 7/8 coil all around. Have been nothing but happy with the results!

SLEEPERSTATUS

Banned
what about a spring compressor or whatever that tool is to take the springs off that i heard you can just went....know what im talking about?

Last edited:

YGETV8

Established Member
You shouldn't need one for the front springs, but they sure come in handy for the rear. I rented/borrowed an internal compressor from a local auto parts store.

Users who are viewing this thread