00-04 Lightning motor swap

madstyle1

Established Member
has anyone here done or seen a motor swap on a lightning? was thinking of getting a lightning and putting a 2011 gt500 motor on it?

smog is something to consider, shouldnt be a problem but would like to cover all tracks

i live in CA btw. thanks

Orange95

Reality is only as far as you can see
Established Member
There's a few build threads over on LightningRodder. The most detailed is probably Harley356 though.

Harley#356

9.89 @ 138.78 in a HD!
Established Member
I'm in the final stages of that swap right now. A few guys have done it before as well. Not a whole ton of info out there, but enough to get a feel for what's involved.

I have a full build thread on LR with tons of details, probably the most inclusive end to end thread covering every little detail of the swap, but you'll have to put your dues in reading all my updates LOL.

Cliff notes:
-Exhaust is easy, ARH, Kooks, and i'm sure other brands, will sell their Lightning exhaust kit with 4v flanges, and it all bolts up just like it was meant to be
-Intake side is easy, all GT500 stuff
-Accessories, these can be a pain. Turbo guys have it easy, they run a navi timing cover, keep the alt, w/p, a/c, & p/s in the factory 2v locations. S/C guys have it a little harder because we have to shuffle everything. I'm running the 07-10 GT500 PS pump, i'm running the gt500 flipped alt kit for single belt drive conversion, but still running an accessory belt for p/s & w/p. My w/p I'm running a 2v style pump, but had a custom offset w/p pulley made to kick the pulley out for 4v acc belt alignment, and keeping my 2v style water port/oil filter adaptor on the side of the block
-Wiring is easy. 2v harness can be reworked just by splitting out the coil & injector wires from 1 bundle to separate bundles. Coil polarity gets flipped for 4v coils. CHT sensor gets relocated to the back of the pass head, few top end sensors shuffle around (IAT2 now on the other side), so minor reshuffling of wires, it's easy if you're patient.

The hardest part....fitting a monster blower in there, but may be easier with a stock 4v blower lol. I'm shoehorning a 4.9L KB in mine, and I had to cut my firewall even further than it was before, but it's all working out. I do have to have the plenum modified to kick the TB angle over 1", and I had to get a custom TB spacer made to kick the TB out 3" so it wasn't tucked under the wiper cowl. I also need to put 90's on my master cylinder to kick my brake lines down to clear my intake tube, and I have to get a custom rad overflow tank because my airfilter now lands where my tank used to.

So long story short, a little shuffling of wire & accessories, for the most part it all bolts up no prob, and the biggest headache is just fitting a monster blower because the 4v s/c sits down & back rather than up & forward like the 2v blowers.

LOTS more pics on the LR Gen 2 L section if you want to see/read more.

GT265.jpg
GT286.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread