00R OEM wheel offset/backspacing?

Goose17

I have a major ego, and need attention.
Established Member
Does anyone know the backspacing and offset of the 2000 Cobra R factory rims? I am leaning towards buying the aftermarket set from LMR.com to set my original wheels/tires aside, but I don’t know if the specs are the same.

I am also leaning towards putting BF Goodrich g-Force 2 tires size 275/40/18 on the aftermarket rims... thoughts?

My originals only have 950 miles on them and on the rare occasion I take the car out for a spin, I like to have some fun with it and feel slightly guilty spinning the original tires when I know they cannot be replace.

I can always put the originals back on if I ever take the car to a show.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Goose have you ever tried to call Mike at BuyFordRacing.com in MI? He sometimes has older stashed parts, the real wheels or the FRPP versions were sold for a while.
-J

Goose17

Established Member
Goose have you ever tried to call Mike at BuyFordRacing.com in MI? He sometimes has older stashed parts, the real wheels or the FRPP versions were sold for a while.
-J

I did not know about him, but I’ll give him a call to see what he has.

I ended up buying a set of 00R repop wheels from LMR.com during Black Friday. I also got some Nitto NT05s. I am awaiting some valve stems and center caps before I mount them. I am planning to pull my 900 mile mint originals to preserve them. I want to go out and spin some tires... have a little fun without worrying about hurting the rare originals.

Goose17

Established Member
Did you research and get the correct Dill stems and caps? I have a set of OEM wheels.

Not really. I have an extra set of NOS Ford center caps. They are not compatible with the aftermarket wheel (unless I want to cut them). I tried, but they would not fit despite both being 2.5”. I just bought some metal valve stems and some 00R center cap decals that should look close. These wheels are for driving/playing. If I ever take the car to a car show, I’ll slap the originals back on it.

specracer

SVTOA MCA
Premium Member
Got it, I was talking about valve stem caps. I wanted to match the ones on the OEM, called Dill to try to figure out what they were, traded a couple VM's, and I dropped the ball after that.

Goose17

Established Member
Goose17, I just tagged a guy Joe Swansonson on "SN95 94-95 Mustangs only" FB page says he may be selling his set of OEM 0R wheels. He may be contacting you.

Sent from my SM-S903VL using the svtperformance.com mobile app

I definitely appreciate it, but unless he wants to sell at a good deal, I’ll probably pass. I am pulling my originals off to preserve them and installing aftermarket versions from LMR to have some fun on. A second set of OEM wheels really doesn’t help me since I just want a set that I don’t worry about chips with.

I tried installing the aftermarket set today, but one wheel was bad.

jrgoffin

Been around...
Established Member
Do a simple Google search for one of the Ford Racing catalog PDF's rather than get uncertain answers. All the wheel specs are in them and not hard to find.

Goose17

Established Member
This evening my oldest helped me finally get the aftermarket wheels/tires on the R. I can now play with the car and not worry about getting chips in the OEM wheels or wearing out irreplaceable original tires. I ended up having to separate original center cap fronts from the rears and adhering them to the aftermarket centercap backs. I tried some aftermarket R decal centercaps, but they didn’t work so well. I had an extra set of NOS centercaps anyway, so I modded them to work with the aftermarket wheels. The Late Model Restoration wheels ended up being 10” wide, despite their website listing them as 9.5”. They work great though and clear everything (although I haven’t driven it yet and done any full-lock turns). The Nitto 275 tires are actually narrower than the OEM BFG 265 tires. 285 Nittos would have been closer. I’ll report back after a drive, but so far, so good. I can now store the originals for safe keeping.

EE2_F8144-1179-499_B-8_FF9-16_E2789750_BB.jpg

97_AE5_B76-_C997-4000-9_BCA-7_B4_A4_EA8_D5_CC.jpg

Original gear removed:

F3_D35_CC7-_EB62-4_B61-9_C33-6420396_BF5_B6.jpg

Goose17

Established Member
My oldest and I just got back from a shopping run in the sleigh... the new tires are STICKY - even at 44 degrees! I felt much better hammering the car knowing the original tires are stored away. With no insulation covering the wheel wells, you could hear a lot of pebbles getting thrown into the fenders from the new tires.

1164_A143-93_BE-4293-9972-_C2_A6_E89_BBE29.jpg

1123_B0_A8-7312-4_D35-9_CFF-68924_BE89_EEC.jpg

Mwynn

Established Member
Yes, its a different car when 18 year old rubber is removed and replaced with new!

TFStang

Established Member
Goose...did you end up buying both the wheels and tires from LMR, or did you purchase the tires elsewhere? What size tire did you go with?

Users who are viewing this thread