01 cobra swap

scottydsntknow

Established Member
Just finished this swap in December.

In short... its a 95% drop in.

Assuming you have a complete 99/01/Mach Cobra engine including intake...

You need to:

-Rewire COP wires for 4V. This means reverse the wires on the plug when you extend them. You will need 4V COPs
-Cut off 2V alternator plug and wire on the 4V pigtail, its the alternator repair kit and you can get it from Tasca. Polarity also needs reversed for this, it is the outside 2 wires, the center wire you just tape up and is not used.
-You need a 4V alternator, all other accessories bolt right up
-You need 4V exhaust manifolds, your GT exhaust will bolt right up to those
-You'll need to find a 99/01 Cobra throttle cable or a Mach throttle cable, they are OOP and people generally want $75-$125 for them
-You will need a Cobra/Mach cruise cable, those you can still get new
-You will need the 4V throttle body and IAC
-You will need a 99/01 Cobra air intake. Stock is best as it is already cold air, fits great and pulls from the fender and isn't restrictive. I got one in mint condition from ebay for $180. MAF is the same.
-You will need to extend a few other wires like the plug for the IAC, TPS plug etc... not hard
-You will need the 99/01/Mach coolant crossover if your motor didn't come with it
-You will need to get the tstat housing and the hoses that attach to it if your engine didn't come with them. The stat housing on the Cobras is external, not in the intake crossover. For a stat, grab a Termi-Stat (google it).
-Good idea to do the head cooling mod while the engine is out of the car
-If you need to pass visual you'll need to source a 99/01/Mach EGR tube, EGR valve is the same

Tune, get ahold of James Gordon from Tuning By James. Guy has my 99 4V purring like a kitten on the 2V ECU using a used $100 SCT X3 and pulls hard past 7k with a spot on AFR. You will want to make sure you have a wideband installed if you don't already and bugged into your SCT device with a firewire. Google how to do this if you don't know how. You take a firewire, cut an end off and take 2 of the 6 wires inside and bug one into the wideband output wire and the other to a power source. The firewire then plugs into your SCT device and is required for datalogging.

Any other questions PM me, more than happy to help and its all still pretty fresh.

Last edited:

cruz1017

Established Member
Just finished this swap in December.

In short... its a 95% drop in.

Assuming you have a complete 99/01/Mach Cobra engine including intake...

You need to:

-Rewire COP wires for 4V. This means reverse the wires on the plug when you extend them. You will need 4V COPs
-Cut off 2V alternator plug and wire on the 4V pigtail, its the alternator repair kit and you can get it from Tasca. Polarity also needs reversed for this, it is the outside 2 wires, the center wire you just tape up and is not used.
-You need a 4V alternator, all other accessories bolt right up
-You need 4V exhaust manifolds, your GT exhaust will bolt right up to those
-You'll need to find a 99/01 Cobra throttle cable or a Mach throttle cable, they are OOP and people generally want $75-$125 for them
-You will need a Cobra/Mach cruise cable, those you can still get new
-You will need the 4V throttle body and IAC
-You will need a 99/01 Cobra air intake. Stock is best as it is already cold air, fits great and pulls from the fender and isn't restrictive. I got one in mint condition from ebay for $180. MAF is the same.
-You will need to extend a few other wires like the plug for the IAC, TPS plug etc... not hard
-You will need the 99/01/Mach coolant crossover if your motor didn't come with it
-You will need to get the tstat housing and the hoses that attach to it if your engine didn't come with them. The stat housing on the Cobras is external, not in the intake crossover. For a stat, grab a Termi-Stat (google it).
-Good idea to do the head cooling mod while the engine is out of the car
-If you need to pass visual you'll need to source a 99/01/Mach EGR tube, EGR valve is the same

Tune, get ahold of James Gordon from Tuning By James. Guy has my 99 4V purring like a kitten on the 2V ECU using a used $100 SCT X3 and pulls hard past 7k with a spot on AFR. You will want to make sure you have a wideband installed if you don't already and bugged into your SCT device with a firewire. Google how to do this if you don't know how. You take a firewire, cut an end off and take 2 of the 6 wires inside and bug one into the wideband output wire and the other to a power source. The firewire then plugs into your SCT device and is required for datalogging.

Any other questions PM me, more than happy to help and its all still pretty fresh.[/QUOTE

scottydsntknow

Established Member
NP. The tune I got from James is 100% remote btw.. If you have a local dyno guy you KNOW is good maybe go with them but if you want a 100% for sure good tune James is your guy. The car was in NJ and James is in FL and it was all done via email sending rapid rate logs to him and him sending me revised tunes until he was comfortable with it. It was about 10 revisions IIRC... but James is very particular about his tunes which is a good thing.

cruz1017

Established Member
sorry to keep bothering you about this man just one more question.. im having trouble finding a gt harness from a manual car, is there a difference between the harnesses from an automatic and manual? can only find people parting out autmatic mustangs and i wasnt sure if that harness would work

scottydsntknow

Established Member
If its a 99-04 GT or Mach then the engine harness is identical. The difference is the trans harness section. Like... if you do a manual to auto swap you'd unplug the manual trans harness from the main engine harness and plug in the auto harness.

You don't have a harness on the car you are swapping??

scottydsntknow

Established Member
Bullitt harness will work fine. Honestly if you have a 4V harness why are you not using that? Just use a 4V ECU and turn PATs off in the tune.

cruz1017

Established Member
there were a few connectors that werent matching up, there would be two male connectors instead of male and female, then i remembered you said you had used the 2v harness so i thought that might have been easier

Users who are viewing this thread