04 Mach 1 Engine noise

Blue04Mach1

Established Member
Hey everyone. I just picked up this car for pretty good deal. I knew before I bought it that the engine was going to require some work if not a complete overhaul. That does not concern me at all as I intend to keep this car for quite awhile. The guy that I bought it off had it towed to the local Ford dealership and they started it once and figured it was a piston or wrist pin. It seams to be coming from the passenger side.

I was just wondering if anyone here might be able to narrow down what I should look at first. The car has 83,000 miles on it. I don't believe there are any major mods other then full exhaust and CAI. Oil pressure is reading good on the gauge. Oil level is good. I know a lot of you have loads of experience with these engines so I wouldn't mind hearing your opinions. I'll post a link to the video so you can hear the sound that it is making.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Wow, that's pretty bad. Let us know what you find out when you start pulling the motor apart.

MackDombles

Established Member
I wish I could hear that in person. From the video it sound anywhere from a Bad exhaust leak on one cylinder, to a blown out spark plug. Obviously with a smooth idle the plug is out of the question. Do you have headers?

Sent from my SM-G930V using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Blue04Mach1

Established Member
I wish I could hear that in person. From the video it sound anywhere from a Bad exhaust leak on one cylinder, to a blown out spark plug. Obviously with a smooth idle the plug is out of the question. Do you have headers?

Yes it does have full length BBK headers installed not that long ago. Its funny, my wife's uncle said the same thing about maybe being a bad exhaust leak. Maybe I'll have to get a stethoscope and do a bit more investigation. If it is just an exhaust leak I got the best deal ever.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Definitely sounds like an exhaust leak close to the head.

MackDombles

Established Member
Listen for the last noise it makes after you shut the key off in the vid. It is a compression release after the engine stops. Milliseconds but it's there. I'm not sure anything inside Is still moving that could cause that after shut down. Maybe I'm hearing things. Or maybe the video masks something.

Blue04Mach1

Established Member
Listen for the last noise it makes after you shut the key off in the vid. It is a compression release after the engine stops. Milliseconds but it's there. I'm not sure anything inside Is still moving that could cause that after shut down. Maybe I'm hearing things. Or maybe the video masks something.

No you are right. It was very obvious when it was shut down. I thought it was a little odd.

Blue04Mach1

Established Member
So I pulled all the spark plugs. They were all still tight. I found quite a bit of oil in the coil area on the passenger side though.

I'll check the exhaust manifold next just to eliminate that before I start pulling the engine.

Blue04Mach1

Established Member
Any update?
No not to much progress. I pulled the exhaust off the passenger side in hopes of finding a loose bolt or gasket issue but everything looked good. As well I removed the valve cover hoping I might find a bad spring or any tell tale sign of damage but alas nothing.

I was thinking of pulling the head next but do you guys think it would be better to just pull the engine and remove to head? Is it a pain to do with the engine still in the car?

Mike's03Mach

Established Member
Mine sounds that same on start up. I took it to a shop and all they said it's coming from the bottom end. It sounds like it's coming from the drivers side. I need to post a video in here.

Nightmare90gt

Established Member
check your timing chain tensioners and i would pull the pans if you don't find a messed up tensioners. kinds sounds like rod knock but could be chain slack also.

Users who are viewing this thread