11-14 S197 Platform: Areas of Improvement

Stellerjd

Established Member
Hi all,

I'm looking for opinions/ideas on the 11-14 S197 platform that owners wish they could either change or improve, and not offered currently in the aftermarket. It can be anything. And GO!

Stellerjd

Stellerjd

Established Member
The brembo equipped cars aren't bad! What kind of brakes do you have on your car now?

Brutal Metal

Established Member
The brembo equipped cars aren't bad! What kind of brakes do you have on your car now?
I have the Centric Rotors and their powerstop pads, they bite better than oem BUT it isn't even the same ball park as my Lexus...I've driven Fords for 30 years, their brake systems aren't the strong suit...

Stellerjd

Established Member
What model Lexus is it? I'll do some research on their brake components to see what their engineering advantages are.

Keep the ideas/opinions coming!

basspro302

Established Member
Brembo cars can do 60-0 in 107 feet a z28 camaro with carbon ceramic stops in 100 i would say thats damn good.

Brutal Metal

Established Member
^^ It's not only stopping distance I think overall brake pedal feel has some bearing on how one views a brake system. Non Brembo Coyote's are of course better than the New Edge platform but there not "Incredible" lets talk reality...

basspro302

Established Member
No one compares base brakes if you want braking you get a brembo car. Brake pedal feel has nothing to do with performance so thats personal preference. I guess brembo doesn't know how to make good brakes

Brutal Metal

Established Member
No one compares base brakes if you want braking you get a brembo car. Brake pedal feel has nothing to do with performance so thats personal preference. I guess brembo doesn't know how to make good brakes
The OP asked a question and I answered it... Yeah I don't enjoy spongy pedals.

Stellerjd

Established Member
I realize the aftermarket makes a vast majority of products that are improvements over stock, but is there anything that the aftermarket has left to be desired or improved upon?

Have you purchased a component and ended up not really pleased with certain aspects of it? NVH, design errors, adjustability, etc.

I am very familiar with what the aftermarket has to offer, however, I have not tested every single product and that is what I am after.

jk57

Established Member
One thing that bothered me that cheap Plastic steering wheel on my 2012 base like really putting that on a gt .. That lasted about a month replaced it with a gt 500 steering wheel

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

noldevin

Established Member
I think the aftermarket has performance pretty well covered.

A few things that I've found myself looking for but not really finding:

Adjustable rear sway bar with settings that are softer than stock
Solid performance-oriented FUNCTIONAL front splitter for the 13-14.
A decent selection of lightweight/functional hoods (most are heavy and just for looks). A competitor to the tiger racing hood would be interesting.
A decent replacement for the rear license plate surround. The stock striped one doesn't go with anything on the car IMO. The only choices I've seen are the ugly RTR pocketed one and carbon fiber.
An in-car controllable dual mode axleback (that actually sounds good)

A few other parts that are out there but have rather limited or undesirable choices, especially on 13-14:

Front upper and lower grilles
Aftermarket body pieces (bumpers, fenders, side skirts, etc)
Rear decklid covers
Aftermarket headlights designed to improve light output rather than look cool (or both)
Quality steering wheels that retain the airbag

Stellerjd

Established Member
I think the aftermarket has performance pretty well covered.

A few things that I've found myself looking for but not really finding:

Adjustable rear sway bar with settings that are softer than stock
Solid performance-oriented FUNCTIONAL front splitter for the 13-14.
A decent selection of lightweight/functional hoods (most are heavy and just for looks). A competitor to the tiger racing hood would be interesting.
A decent replacement for the rear license plate surround. The stock striped one doesn't go with anything on the car IMO. The only choices I've seen are the ugly RTR pocketed one and carbon fiber.
An in-car controllable dual mode axleback (that actually sounds good)

A few other parts that are out there but have rather limited or undesirable choices, especially on 13-14:

Front upper and lower grilles
Aftermarket body pieces (bumpers, fenders, side skirts, etc)
Rear decklid covers
Aftermarket headlights designed to improve light output rather than look cool (or both)
Quality steering wheels that retain the airbag

This is exactly the kind of feedback that I am looking for!

Let's be honest, our cars aren't perfect from the factory and neither is the aftermarket. Feedback from the consumer like this is very beneficial to manufacturers and to the guys who wish to improve or fill these gaps.

I would love to purchase a complete magneride suspension for my 2011 S197. This would dramatically increase the quality of ride as well as the suspension performance of the vehicle.

chris_302

Established Member
One of the biggest issues IMHO that has been addressed numerous times are the brembo brakes. 14" - 4 pot. The s550 PP has a new 6 pot system and larger rotor.

The clutch is terrible on our cars, there are aftermarket parts that are a huge improvement over OEM. MGW Shifter, Exedy clutch, Mcleod, etc. Exedy actually supplied the clutch for the 302s.

If you have spongy pedals, something is wrong with your system. No one likes going 70mph+ with spongy pedals.

The boss has stiffer sway bars and spring rates vs the GT model/base.

There are plenty of aftermarket manufacturers that offer upgraded parts and that are actually proven in strips/road race applications as well as DD'ng, most are vendors on here.

gt5.0coyote

Established Member
A front splitter made to fit the stock 2010-12 front bumper without putting the gt/cs front on. Something like the Arp for the s550

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Users who are viewing this thread