'13/'14 H/E Pump Mounted to Frame on a 2008

54First

Grouchy Old Guy
Established Member
After some research, I decided to replace the stock H/E pump on my 2008 GT500 (VMP/AFCO H/E and VMP oversize reservoir) with the one from a '13/'14. I had three choices for location. Stock position above the H/E, on the engine like the '13/'14, or on the driver side frame rail behind the bumper. I canned the stock location because it blocks too much radiator real estate. I had trouble visualizing the engine location, so I ordered the factory bracket assembly and a power steering pressure hose that would have to be moved and modified. That looked like asking for frustration and pain. That left the frame location. More research. I found this picture from an article that Justin at VMP had something to do with.

install-intercooler-pump.jpg

While the picture was a major help, I didn't like the Adel clamp holding the pump on with one bolt. I couldn't identify the molded hose going to the H/E and couldn't tell how the hose from the reservoir was routed. Also, my horns are on the other side of the car IN FRONT OF THE RADIATOR. So! Time to start bumbling ahead.

Here's a list of items I used:
Purchased:
DR3Z-8501-A '13/'14 Pump $263.51 AutoNation (Tousley)
DR3Z-8N500-B Bracket (Rt Side of Pump) $13.16 "
DR3Z-8N500-C Bracket (Lt Side of Pump) $8.22 "
DR3Z-8N500-A Bracket (Main) $23.44 "
DR3Z-14A411-C Wire Assy (Plugs into Pump) $6.09 "
Conn-75571 EV1 Injector Connector Kit $4.99 Ballenger Motorsports
(Plugs into Old Pump Cable) ( www.bmotorsports.com )
Gates 3/4" Heater Hose (6ft, more or less) $10.14 O'Reilly Auto Parts
White and Black 18ga. Wire (6ft each) $6.99 ea./40'
Several 6mm-1.0 Bolts & Nuts

Tools:
Metric Common Hand Tools
Nutsert Tool and 6mm Nutserts (optional)
or
Self-Tapping Bolts
Power Drill and Bits
Soldering Iron and Solder

From My Scrap Bin:
Aluminum Bar Stock (1 1/2"x1/8"x~7")
Aluminum 3/4" Thick Wall Tubing (Less than 5")
Plastic Wire Loom

The first thing I did, because it was easy, was to relocate the horns using the aluminum bar stock. Picture is self-explanatory.

IMG_0819r.jpg

Next, I decided to see if there was a way to use the very sturdy '13/'14 mounting assembly on the frame. Well, it was better than I could have hoped. Note the aluminum tube spacer on the bottom bolt.

IMG_0827r.jpg

Here are the nutserts to help you locate the holes.

IMG_0825r.jpg

Next came bolting the pump to the bracket. The B & C brackets surround the pump and then bolt to the A bracket on the frame. The first fitting had the pump slanting down toward the rear of the car. Time to start bending stuff. Actually, it took some minor bending to the main bracket and also to the pump clamping brackets. There's another aluminum spacer below the nut and behind the elongated hole at the bottom of the assembly.

IMG_0837r.jpg

Well, it's mounted and it's solid. Go to Post #2 for the electrical.

Last edited:

54First

Grouchy Old Guy
Established Member
Take the plug from Ballenger and the black and white wires and solder/crimp together. A note of caution. While the plug is a common Bosch EV1 injector connector, they're not all created equal. Most of the available ones (Ebay,etc.) are unbranded, common plastic with 20ga. pigtails attached. The Ford wiring diagram calls for 18ga. wire. I had bought an Ebay special with the intent of disassembling it and changing wires. But with further searching I came across Ballenger. Their plug is branded (TE Connectivity) and made of PBT, a Thermoplastic Engineering Polymer. TE part number 106462 if you have your own supplier.

IMG_0843r.jpg

Remove the non-pump end from the Ford cable and solder the the black Ford and Ballenger wires together. Same with the white wires. Your new extension cable.

IMG_0844r.jpg

Now for the plumbing. This is one of my favorite parts of the whole installation. Well, you have to get hose from your reservoir to the pump. It looks next to impossible, BUT, if you take your stock reservoir to pump hose, turn it UPSIDE DOWN and cut a couple of inches off what is now the top, you can snake it through the other tubes and hoses and IT FITS PERFECTLY. (I have a VMP oversize reservoir, so my stock hose was waiting in my parts bin.) The pump to H/E hose bend is gentle enough that you don't need a molded hose and it tucks into the bumper cover with no problem. Straight bulk hose is fine. I zip tied my extension cable to the hose.

IMG_0847r.jpg

I made a bracket with a hose clamp with two layers of shrink tubing to hold the hose away from the A/C condenser. Also pictured is the stock pump to extension junction.

IMG_0855r.jpg

There's a major flow improvement just running the pump with a jumper, but the car's still on the lift and it's cold here, so I have no operational data to report.

Steve

Last edited:

Black Cobra '99

Established Member
Great write up. You took an interesting approach to this install, and I like how you mounted the pump.
I'll be doing this install in thee summer with VMP's relo bracket.

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
Looks like I need to order the A bracket. The nutserts are a nice touch too.. Thanks, Steve.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
After some research, I decided to replace the stock H/E pump on my 2008 GT500 (VMP/AFCO H/E and VMP oversize reservoir) with the one from a '13/'14. I had three choices for location. Stock position above the H/E, on the engine like the '13/'14, or on the driver side frame rail behind the bumper. I canned the stock location because it blocks too much radiator real estate. I had trouble visualizing the engine location, so I ordered the factory bracket assembly and a power steering pressure hose that would have to be moved and modified. That looked like asking for frustration and pain. That left the frame location. More research. I found this picture from an article that Justin at VMP had something to do with.

View attachment 56915

I like this 2013/14 pump install idea, and Great thought for use with the correct pump bracket...........Very nice!

So now I have a question..................What is that "S" sticker shown in the picture above?? I have one on my 2008 also, same place. I thought that "maybe" it was some sort of identifier that was installed by Shelby when my car went thought the Mod Shop? I see you have it also...........

What is that "S" sticker for???

R

Last edited:

54First

Grouchy Old Guy
Established Member
What is that "S" sticker shown in the picture above?? I have one on my 2008 also, same place. I thought that "maybe" it was some sort of identifier that was installed by Shelby when my car went thought the Mod Shop? I see you have it also...........

What is that "S" sticker for???
R

In eight years of owning the car, that sticker never registered with me. I didn't even notice it in the picture until you pointed it out. Well, my first thought was that it stood for "sticker". Then I crawled under and looked at it. It's on a crossmember and it has a part number on the other end of the sticker (7R3V-5019-A). It turns out that is a part number for a "frame crossmember" specific to a "coupe, Shelby version". So my guess is the big "S" makes for easy identification during assembly.

Steve

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
In eight years of owning the car, that sticker never registered with me. I didn't even notice it in the picture until you pointed it out. Well, my first thought was that it stood for "sticker". Then I crawled under and looked at it. It's on a crossmember and it has a part number on the other end of the sticker (7R3V-5019-A). It turns out that is a part number for a "frame crossmember" specific to a "coupe, Shelby version". So my guess is the big "S" makes for easy identification during assembly.

Steve

^^^^^^^^That could be it.

R

KRS

Established Member
Conn-75571 EV1 Injector Connector Kit $4.99 Ballenger Motorsports
(Plugs into Old Pump Cable) ( www.bmotorsports.com )

View attachment 56917

Well, it's mounted and it's solid. Go to Post #2 for the electrical.

Nice clean installation, if I wasn't mounting mine in the 13/14 location I would definitely copy your installation. I appreciate the Ballenger plug information too, it was the last thing that I needed for my installation.

Are you considering a bypass hose for your reservoir?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread