13 Boss LS -power adder

krman68

Established Member
My brother in law is in the process of buying a new 13 Boss LS. He has significant track time in a 70 Boss So he knows how to drive on track. With the 13 he is considering a SC to be installed at the dealer prior to delivery. Personally I would get the car, then decide if you need another 200 hp.

Has anyone added a SC to their Boss? If so what were the upsides and what were the downsides? How about hood clearance? Any need to change the grille for increased airflow?

Any info would be great

thanks

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
A lot of the guys that have gone away from the n/a coyote in the Boss have gone the Hellion TT kit..

I'm not sure the reason...but this way you get to keep the Boss Manifold looking pretty on the engine.

86Fbody

Established Member
I would suggest getting the car and then deciding what it needs. I bet he would be surprised that it handles it's own without the need for power adders.

BUCKET

Established Member
Get it. Drive it. Then add boost

Personally I have a twin turbo'd '13 boss non LS

Smile on my face everytime I drive it before the twins.

Now you can't smack the smile off my face with a sledge hammer!

guarnibl

Established Member
I put down around 575 RWHP @ 11 PSI with the following:

Boss 302 (Non LS) in Performance White
Whipple 2.3 supercharger
3.0 pulley
JLT Big Air 127mm + JLT Oil Separator
Super Cobra Jet Throttle Body
47lb injectors
Kenne Bell BAP
Stock Exhaust
12 degrees timing (maxed)
~11.8 AF ratio
91 octane

No cooling mods -- stock heat exchanger that came with the FRPP kit. It was pulling timing at 100 degrees for inlet temps so I am getting the AFCO dual pass next, along with the extreme duty radiator and Boss 302S race hood.

We're adding full Kooks exhaust including side pipes next -- should keep us at around 10 PSI total and around 600 rwhp.

The car feels so raw, even with Boost. It's INCREDIBLE.

Getting around 22 mpg on the highway, too.

We're going to be adding a 16 PSI pulley + E85 tune next. Hoping to hit 800 rwhp that way. Once power is figured out we'll add some suspension -- so far only have done control arms lower/upper in the rear (billet) from FRPP and Steeda. No wheel hop though -- but the stock springs are super floaty so we're going full coil overs

Last edited:

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
a black vortech kit looks super sweet under the hood.

A polished paxton would not be bad either.

All can be had for much less than any of the other kits as well.

IamRacerX

No brand loyalty rhetoric here.
Established Member
Imo. Road racing and adding a blower or turbo to a na motor don't usually mix well. I would think long and hard before adding forced induction to a car that will be road raced. I have heard of some cooling issues with the forced induction cars under hot and extreme conditions.

jayman33

I put down around 575 RWHP @ 11 PSI with the following:

Boss 302 (Non LS) in Performance White
Whipple 2.3 supercharger
3.0 pulley
JLT Big Air 127mm + JLT Oil Separator
Super Cobra Jet Throttle Body
47lb injectors
Kenne Bell BAP
Stock Exhaust
12 degrees timing (maxed)
~11.8 AF ratio
91 octane

No cooling mods -- stock heat exchanger that came with the FRPP kit. It was pulling timing at 100 degrees for inlet temps so I am getting the AFCO dual pass next, along with the extreme duty radiator and Boss 302S race hood.

We're adding full Kooks exhaust including side pipes next -- should keep us at around 10 PSI total and around 600 rwhp.

The car feels so raw, even with Boost. It's INCREDIBLE.

Getting around 22 mpg on the highway, too.

We're going to be adding a 16 PSI pulley + E85 tune next. Hoping to hit 800 rwhp that way. Once power is figured out we'll add some suspension -- so far only have done control arms lower/upper in the rear (billet) from FRPP and Steeda. No wheel hop though -- but the stock springs are super floaty so we're going full coil overs

Who's tuning your car? 575 at 11lbs of boost is pretty weak if you ask me plus isn't a 3.00 pulley good for 12psi? With the 3.25 pulley I made 605RWHP at 10lbs. Just curious.

I've been contemplating putting a Paxton on the Boss but under extreme heat during racing I can see becoming a problem.

Grant808

Established Member
In before TXPD... :)

I'd suggest waiting...and also suggest NOT having it installed by the dealer, unless they are going to maintain the warrantee since they did it. And who would be doing the tune?

As for the heat exchange issues...I guess it depends what he's going to use the car for.

Last edited:

kbroush

Established Member
I would suggest waiting too. I wanted a supercharger for my boss but I am happy with the power it has NA. I would love more power but I do like how balanced the car is. I was looking at a procharger, then I could keep the good looking boss intake and high rpm characteristics. The Vortech and Paxton kits are really good too.

LostPony

Established Member
I know the 12 cars had cooling issues without a blower but haven't heard yet if the 13s are having similar issues. I would wait to do a blower on one. Besides that, sticky rubber and good brake pads will have you running down most anything out there with a good driver behind the wheel. Even on stock rubber and a decent street pad I can run down most Vettes at our little track. I just have to keep an eye out for those pesky modded Porsches and Z06s.

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Twin Turbo or Procharger, you can use the Boss intake with those options.

or paxton, or vortech.....
which are

less expensive, more power potential, better intercooler, better air box placement, less crank stress....

just a few of the advantages of the paxton / vortech setups we sell :)

UrbanKnight

Hard Core Car Whore
Established Member
Rather than make a seperate thread, maybe I can ask here since its all relevant.

I got my 2013 boss after sellign my 775rwhp Mach 1...I miss the power, but LOVE the handling and all around deemanor of the car, yet I still crave more power...

Whats the limits you can push these roadrunners to powerwise, and what kits get you there?(i.e Paxton makes x, vortech makes y, and so on.)
Also, what else needs upgraded to add the blower? I was all in on the Mach, i know the Boss can take more before needing a complete build...

Thanks

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Rather than make a seperate thread, maybe I can ask here since its all relevant.

I got my 2013 boss after sellign my 775rwhp Mach 1...I miss the power, but LOVE the handling and all around deemanor of the car, yet I still crave more power...

Whats the limits you can push these roadrunners to powerwise, and what kits get you there?(i.e Paxton makes x, vortech makes y, and so on.)
Also, what else needs upgraded to add the blower? I was all in on the Mach, i know the Boss can take more before needing a complete build...

Thanks

Paxton and Vortech are essentially the same, other than the head unit. The Paxton hands down, is the best bang for the buck power / dollar wise than anything else out there.

It will outperform every other entry level supercharger kits, and even most upgraded supercharger kits.

I have probably 30-40 guys, just on SVTP running the paxton / vortech kits, with excellent results.

My personal car has been 9.03 @ 154.55 @ 3850lbs.

We will be adding a kit to the Boss over the winter as well. I'm still debating the black Vortech kit, or the competition kit (basically what I have now) for the boss.

guarnibl

Established Member
Who's tuning your car? 575 at 11lbs of boost is pretty weak if you ask me plus isn't a 3.00 pulley good for 12psi? With the 3.25 pulley I made 605RWHP at 10lbs. Just curious.

I've been contemplating putting a Paxton on the Boss but under extreme heat during racing I can see becoming a problem.

Those numbers were on a superflow which consistently reports a lot less than a dynojet. So probably much higher. Comp auto is tuning me. It's a really really safe tune and only hitting 12 degrees. 91 pump gas and it hit 11.5 psi. The car feels more like 650 rwhp to be honest. Our dyno runs were only third gear pulls too.

darreng505

Established Member
Imo. Road racing and adding a blower or turbo to a na motor don't usually mix well. I would think long and hard before adding forced induction to a car that will be road raced. I have heard of some cooling issues with the forced induction cars under hot and extreme conditions.

Hi,
I'm interested in this comment. Is it just your opinion or is there some information about forced induction in road race cars? Just looking for info on this as I am planning on a procharger for my AIX boss build, but also will rebuild the motor to support it. Not just slap a power-adder on. hehe.

And increased cooling is necessary depending on boost levels. Ignoring cooling on SC'd or turbo'd cars will always end poorly.

D

Users who are viewing this thread