15346 99/01 Cobras built, how many still on the road?

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
What do you guys think? How many of these cars are still actively driven? I don't see them very often other than a couple at decent sized all Ford car shows. I see more Terminators around by far.

On one hand these cars are at least 11 years old and were probably driven very hard or crashed by irresponsible owners they may end up in a junkyard faster than your average car.

On the other hand, many SVT owners take pride in their cars and drive them only when it's nice out and keep them in the garage the rest of the time, so they may outlive your average cars.

I'm guessing somewhere around 12000 of them are still living.

8095 1999 Mustang Cobras were built
7251 2001 Mustang Cobras were built

UPDATE 2-24-14

A guy on Chicagoland Mustang forums has a work program where he can determine how many of each type of car is still on the road. According to his program, as of June 2013 there the following number of Cobras in operation.

99 cobra: 5,926
01 cobra: 5,496

Glad to see there are still around 75% of them on the road.

Last edited:

Darkc0bra

....Pass
Established Member
I drive mine everyday....rain, sun, even snow, ice and race once in awhile. I am sitting at 49k miles!!!

Kirk01

Established Member
I see more fobras and 03/04's than I do 99/01's. It's kind of sad. Wonder where they all went :shrug:

Black4VPower

SVT Poster
Established Member
I'm from Massachusetts and bought my 99 Cobra in Ohio after a few months of searching for a black 99/01. It currently has 71,000 miles on it and drives like a dream. In the last few years I think I have only seen one 99/01 Cobra around here.

98_Undertaker

Established Member
2001 Cobra daily driven 152,xxx miles see's all weather rain sun snow...

Been to the Tail of the Dragon, to the drag strip several times and auto-x'd a couple of times. Stock motor, and transmission just a 03/04 Cobra clutch upgrade and stock IRS.

Last edited:

4a7191a

Established Member
the one me and my ex had we traded in, it had 121k miles on it and they were hard miles. it got wrecked hard years back and never was the same, thats why i was wanting to let it go. if it had never been hit, it would of been a keeper. never had a problem out of it other than a water pump.

32ValveRom

Don't mess with Teksids
Established Member
Idk, I see them every good once in awhile. I probably see more GT500s but, hey. Driving a rare car ain't bad

Jaysin

Established Member
I rarely see them around here too. Mine isn't my daily, but I enjoy driving it. I'm sitting at 94k miles, slightly modded. Haven't driven mine since November, but it's being worked on.

Black*Death

Sleeping
Established Member
People always think my 99 is a Fobra due to the "Mustang" bumper..I always ask them what New Edge year did the Cobra come with a "Mustang" labeled bumper?

My car was built in May 1999 so pushing 13 years now..paint looks that old unfortuantely..

I would guess 9k or less cars..tough to say...

Elwood P Dowd

Established Member
Just picked up a black 99 convertible last fall with a little over 90,000 miles on the clock. Car runs great but I dont DD it I just drive it when its going to be nice out. Got a lot of shit from guys on a local forum for buying a 99 because it's not a Terminator and has an IRS which probably means wheel hop and the whole not having 320 hp incident but I'm happy with my purchase and after calling SVT and confirming that they did fix the problems on mine to get it up to 320hp I 'm happy as can be.

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
People always think my 99 is a Fobra due to the "Mustang" bumper..I always ask them what New Edge year did the Cobra come with a "Mustang" labeled bumper?

My car was built in May 1999 so pushing 13 years now..paint looks that old unfortuantely..

I would guess 9k or less cars..tough to say...

I've gotten that a time or two also. I just tell them to look at the rear suspension and tell me if it's a Cobra or Gt. In 3 times none of the guys recognized they were looking at an IRS.

Bought my car in May 2008 with 40k on it. It now has 58k and usually only gets driven on nice days. No problems thus far.

The number is only going to dwindle, especially hearing that some of these cars are DD's

trxcobra

Established Member
I'm from Massachusetts and bought my 99 Cobra in Ohio after a few months of searching for a black 99/01. It currently has 71,000 miles on it and drives like a dream. In the last few years I think I have only seen one 99/01 Cobra around here.

I am also from MA, my cobra has just under 80k now and although i am on my 2nd motor, the car itself hasnt given me many issues at all. Definately not too many around here though!

Users who are viewing this thread