1998 GT 4.6 to 2006 4.6 engine upgrade

rebelproud

So, im new both here and to modular engines. Looking at the specs, the 05+ 4.6 creates significantly more power than my 98 or the PI 99+ engine. Would a swap be feasible if an engine were obtained for a reasonable price. I know there'd be some computer crap thatd have to be done. Would the newer 05-10 engine bolt up to my 98 5 speed trans?

Sent from my SM-N920V using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Sluggie24

Established Member
You would need the computer and engine harness for sure. I would think the trans would bolt right up. Would be cheaper and make more power to just add a supercharger though IMHO.

StrayBullitt

Established Member
You can make your 98 motor perform comparably to a stock 3v motor with swapping on the PI heads and adding a good set of cams. 3v motor they dyno about 270 rwhp stock. My buddies PI swap car with bolt ons and Trick flow stage 1 cams made 297 rwhp.

StalkerStang

Established Member
There was a place that made a kit to put a 3v in 2v car with factory 2v wiring and pcm. It might be discontinued though.... it locked out VCT, used adapters for headers, some brackets were used, had to be tuned.

Honestly though, for the money it ain't worth it. Some TFS heads on a 2v will make more power and cost less. No hassle of a motor swap too....

rebelproud

Im looking into cold air, PI, underdrive, ac delete (I already have a pi intake on the car), good exhaust, a tuner, 70mm Throttle body, screaming demon coils, bigger water pump, air/oil separator, short throw and 4.10 gears. I figured that'd help, but man, when new 4 cylinders and v6's are pushin +/-3, im just trying to keep up at this point

StrayBullitt

Established Member
Im looking into cold air, PI, underdrive, ac delete (I already have a pi intake on the car), good exhaust, a tuner, 70mm Throttle body, screaming demon coils, bigger water pump, air/oil separator, short throw and 4.10 gears. I figured that'd help, but man, when new 4 cylinders and v6's are pushin +/-3, im just trying to keep up at this point

That's a solid start. I ran 13.1 at 104 untuned with those mods on my old PI swap car and with stock gears even. But with about 260lbs taken off of the car. It had an easy 12.8-12.9 in it with a tune. I'd splurge for the 78mm throttle body/plenum combo though if I were you, they perform the better by about 8 rwhp IIRC.

rebelproud

I figured for the price +/- 2k for these upgrades on Americanmuscle.com and i can buy piece by piece this should at least be a good start. Like i said i dont really plan on running my car on a track or anything. I just dont want to be embarrassed on the highway by the newer v6 and 4 cylinder cars running as much or more hp than me.

StalkerStang

Established Member
Those coils and a "better" water pump are a waste of money.... you will see nothing from them.....

For 2k you can get a used supercharger kit and make more power.

StalkerStang

Established Member
The air oil separator actually does something. Where the "upgraded" water pump and coils will be no better than the OEM ford stuff..... sometimes they are worse. I would just use stock replacement Ford stuff if you change them.

BDs01MGGT

Established Member
Don't know if you'd be up for it but you can swap your 2v heads onto a 3v short block. That combo will up your compression to around 11.4:1 with stock 2v heads. Add a set of cams and headers and you'll be around 320 wheel hp. Pistons will have to be notched with aftermarket cams. But you'll also have an aluminum (WAP) block which weighs about 75 pounds less then the one you currently have and a stronger rotating assembly. Also going with route you'll be able to use all your factory wiring and computer.

Users who are viewing this thread