2000 R cf air splitter - another run

Andy M

Established Member
Folks,

I'd like to get some more of these done up for those of you who are interested, before my fabricator runs out of the cf material. He has enough to make a few more before he orders some more material, which he has told me will be a LOT more expensive next time around. It appears the cost of the cf material is going up and will be quite a bit higher in the future due to high demands in the marketplace.

So, I need to hear from you ASAP if you want one.

Send me a PM asap!

Andy M

Established Member
another one almost ready to ship out.......

This one is going to Ben O. Almost ready to ship it. He will have his painter do the paint job on it.

Anyone else interested?... before the cost of the carbon fiber material goes sky high??

RJY

Established Member
Andy, how much for a complete splitter (painted, ready to go) + shipping to Los Angeles?

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
I've said this before, and I'm going to say it again. Anybody that even thinks about buying a Ford splitter should have their head examined!

Andy's C/F splitter is the be all to end all. The cat's ass. Nothing even compares to it. It's the best there is. Period!

That's all there is to say on this subject! :thumbsup: :coolman: :beer:

Andy M

Established Member
Guys,

I will check with the fabricator this week to see where he is scheduling-wise. When I picked this one up, he indicated he is swamped until June. I also need to see where he is with his current stock of carbon fiber and carbon kevlar material (both of which are used in the construction of this piece) on hand.

I will keep you all posted and will PM and/or email those of you interested in having one.

04svtdriver:

As Bruce mentioned, this splitter will NOT fit on your stock 03 bumper cover. To use this splitter, you must replace it with a 2000 R bumper cover.

Andy M

Established Member
Guys,

Several of you have sent PMs to me concerning price for one of these splitters. I need to check with the fabricator on two things before answering for certain:

1) availability of his current stock of cf and carbon kevlar materials to ensure he has enough to make a few copies

and

2) how much additional cost will be tagged onto the current price due to rising material cost.

I will let you all know what I find out this week. Be aware that he is very busy at the moment with a large marine project with a commercial customer and cannot get to any new splitters until around June timeframe. Once I know for sure how many of you are certain you want one, I can relay this information back to him for scheduling of time and materials.

Just as a point of reference, here is where the price has been for the past few of them that I've done for some of the other R owners...

$1000.00 - splitter
$120.00 - new fork from Ford Racing (exactly the same one that came on the original splitter
$50.00 - set of brand new DZUS fasteners - again from Ford Racing
$75.00 - aluminum skid/rub plate under front lip (if you want one)
$450.00 - painted color of car (Performance red) and clear coated (done professionally)

Total = $1695.00 + shipping (figure somewhere between $125 and $200 or so depending on where you are

I know this sounds like a high price to pay, but believe me, once you see the piece - it is VERY high quality and is lightyears ahead (in quality workmanship and weight reduction) ahead of the original piece. Just the POC (piece O crap) piece from a Ford dealer will run you $500 and then you still need to paint it, so you are looking at close to $1000 and trust me when I say this - the stock one will fall apart at around 130 mph or so if you don't spend some additional money and time on reinforcing it. I know - I've been there!!!

This thing weighs only 6.5 pounds without hardware and is VERY strong. He reinforces it with carbon kevlar sandwiched between the carbon fiber layers. The outside shell used a very strong epoxy resin which he pours in the mold first. He then layers all the materials in between and pulls a very strong vacuum on it and then lets it sit for several days curing. This guy is the BEST there is. You should see some of his work done on high performance racing boats!!!

Anyway, I wanted to keep you all informed and let you know up front what kind of funds are necessary to get one of these. I think if you ask anyone else here who has bought one - they will tell you it is definitely worth the money!!

Last edited:

JorgeG

Established Member
I can also attest to the quality and craftsmanship. I bought the one Bruce had (new) and it is very well done to say the least I am working on the skid plate and should have it ready for Sebring (hopefully) It is light and sturdier than the POS stock flapper

Andy M

Established Member
Last time I spoke with him, he said that when he is finished using the current roll - the next roll will be significantly more expensive. Not sure yet how much more, but I will find out soon enough. He said he was told that Boeing Aircraft has ordered much of the available stock to use in their manufacturing process.

Of course, this could just be some ploy by the distributor to justify raising the price??? :rollseyes

Saleenrose

Established Member
Does this splitter help the vibrations at high speed, maybe extra supports to reinforce for 150+. Open track car and hit 150 every 2.25 miles.

BlackBolt9

Asphalt Donuts
Established Member
Andy M said:
Last time I spoke with him, he said that when he is finished using the current roll - the next roll will be significantly more expensive. Not sure yet how much more, but I will find out soon enough. He said he was told that Boeing Aircraft has ordered much of the available stock to use in their manufacturing process.

Of course, this could just be some ploy by the distributor to justify raising the price??? :rollseyes

Their next generation plane, I believe 787 :shrug: is all composite. I got a tour of the new autoclave during an interview in Wichita, KS. They are building it to be able to produce the fuselage in one big piece. Talk about an amazing complex!! Sorry for the hi-jack.

Andy M

Established Member
Saleenrose said:
Does this splitter help the vibrations at high speed, maybe extra supports to reinforce for 150+. Open track car and hit 150 every 2.25 miles.

Nope, you MUST also reinforce your bumper cover for this splitter to be fully effective. Although this splitter will not fall apart under high speed/load like the POS factory unit, it will still move up and down with the bumper cover if you do not reinforce it. Actually, you will experience total failure of the attachment points where the bumper cover attaches to the car. They are made of plastic and WILL fail.

I've done 170 in my R with this splitter on the car AND the total front fascia reinforcement - with no vibrations and no failure of any components. By the way, with the splitter AND the rear wing on the car, 170 felt like a walk in the park!! The car was absolutely stable at that speed! Kinda scary actually! :eek:

Saleenrose

Established Member
does someone have a reinforcement structure, or a model of what was done. Looked at using mounting plates on the upper 2 plastic mounting points.

Andy M

Established Member
Do a search on this forum with the word "splitter" in it. It should return a bunch of hits... some time a few years ago when I first bought the R, we had several lengthy discussions here concerning how to do this... and someone (can't remember who at the moment... that's what happens when you get old I suppose :rollseyes:) posted a diagram... I will see if I can locate it for you when I have some time to search.

97CasperCobra

Track is Crack
After you reinforce the stock splitter it weighs roughly 60 pounds versus the carbon fiber one of about 15...IF that. Andy's piece is DEFINATELY worth the extra money. :thumbsup:

FordRacing200

Banned
Andy M said:
04svtdriver:

As Bruce mentioned, this splitter will NOT fit on your stock 03 bumper cover. To use this splitter, you must replace it with a 2000 R bumper cover.
You mean a 99 or 01 cobra front bumper right? Because I've never seen a 00 R bumper that isn't a one piece mold with the splitter attached, and the 99-01 bumper is essentially the same as the 00 R minus the chin spoiler which just clips on anyways right??

Users who are viewing this thread