2001 cobra built engine d1 procharger first time at the track

mcusack336

Hey guys,

grew up around racing but never actually ran down the track myself. so i took the car to the local 1/8 strip and had a go.

best run was a 8.88 at 87 mph

RT:.65
60 FT:2.240
330ft: 5.992
1/8:8.883@87

bad reaction times really hurt my time(.65) and the fact i cant shift 2nd but hopefully will be a lot better with the t56 in it

car made 453/453 at fastlane on 10lbs of boost on 93 car is running nitto nt555r rear tires. currently swapping a t56 in it since the 3650 doesnt let me shift to 2nd gear above 4k

y9uw85X

was trying to launch at about 3k but have no 2 step and a very heavy clutch so it was tough to say the least

Last edited:

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
remember reaction time doesnt factor into your ET, thats just how long it took you to break the beams to start measuring your ET. Don't worry about the RT until you get your launch figured out to get a good 60', itll come with practice

I had to heat the living shit out of my 555Rs to get em to hook in my lightning, obviously the 60' needs a lot of work and hard to judge much else with a trans that doesnt wanna go into second.

mcusack336

yea I didnt heat them at all. just rolled to the line and staged. they didnt seem to spin much at all but maybe i wasnt launching at a high enough rpm. going back on the 14 of april so we will see if I can do better then

Last edited:

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
the mph being that low would be my concern but Im just chalking that up to his second gear problem

mcusack336

went back this weekend and ran a 8.57 at 89 mph. seems like right around 90 is all im gunna get out of it with my current trans situation. 60 ft was still high at a 2.2. guess its time to learn how to do a burnout and get them tires sticky!

guy never pulled his t56 so I couldn't buy it, getting ready to have surgery so will have some time to source one. Be about 6-8 months before I can drive the car again so if you are remotely close to Winston Salem, NC and have a t56 for sale let me know!

Last edited:

WhiTriCobra

PDP
Established Member
What size are your tires? what rpms are you launching at? But not spinning? That 60' is definitely killing your times.
remember, when you get back to the track, that DR's love and need to be heated pretty good. But hopefully track prep is good. sometimes they lay down the glue and some times they halfazz it.
when you find a T56, ask a lot of questions. See what they did prior to their car while it was still in. I bought one off of here about 4 years ago (turning my 03 cobra to an auto, sold my T56, decided not to and bought a T56) and it grenaded on the dyno. Fuked up a lot of stuff when that happened. something internal just locked up. I found out later that his car was a drag strip queen and beat it up pretty good.

and good luck with the surgery and fast recovery.

Last edited:

mcusack336

What size are your tires? what rpms are you launching at? But not spinning? That 60' is definitely killing your times.
remember, when you get back to the track, that DR's love and need to be heated pretty good. But hopefully track prep is good. sometimes they lay down the glue and some times they halfazz it.
when you find a T56, ask a lot of questions. See what they did prior to their car while it was still in. I bought one off of here about 4 years ago (turning my 03 cobra to an auto, sold my T56, decided not to and bought a T56) and it grenaded on the dyno. Fuked up a lot of stuff when that happened. something internal just locked up. I found out later that his car was a drag strip queen and beat it up pretty good.

i have 275/40r17 nitto nt555r on the back at 15psi. I try to launch at 3000-3500. sometimes get some wheel hop and have to get out of it immediately. suspension is all stock so i know i am in need of some bushings.

thats a good point. at this time i think ill just keep saving for a new magnum. Car will be down for awhile since i wont be able to drive it, migth be the best option

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
ya, a new trans really might be a less hassle option. Be very careful of wheel hop, thats how ya break half shafts

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
I am not well versed in the IRS, I have seen people claim the full tilt boogie bushing setups help significantly. There are plenty of fast IRS cars out there.

Stopsign32v

Established Member
What gears do you have?

Not sure I'd jump to a T56, nothing wrong with a good 3650. You have a problem somewhere. I run faster than that in a lightly bolt on Mach 1 making less than 300rwhp. Find the problem before you go throwing money around. Just my .02

mcusack336

What gears do you have?

Not sure I'd jump to a T56, nothing wrong with a good 3650. You have a problem somewhere. I run faster than that in a lightly bolt on Mach 1 making less than 300rwhp. Find the problem before you go throwing money around. Just my .02
I have stock gears, 3.27.

i have a 2nd gear synchros issue as in the trans will not go into gear willingly over 4k rpms. replacing it I would want to upgrade the internals while it was out and for the price difference a t56 is a much better option, that was just my thinking

i have no doubt you have better times then this but is your mph around the same as mine? if so then i think i most likely have a problem.

Stopsign32v

Established Member
I have stock gears, 3.27.

i have a 2nd gear synchros issue as in the trans will not go into gear willingly over 4k rpms. replacing it I would want to upgrade the internals while it was out and for the price difference a t56 is a much better option, that was just my thinking

i have no doubt you have better times then this but is your mph around the same as mine? if so then i think i most likely have a problem.

Yes, I trap 89.9mph best

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Yea I try to get out of it immediately. Think it would be worth building the rear end up or just doing a solid axle swap when I do the trans?

If the car is going to be driven around town more than at the strip upgrade the IRS. Find a set of 03/04 half shafts to throw in there while it's apart. If it's going to become a drag strip terror then swap in an SRA.

Just my opinion.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
I vote solid axle even around town. IRS sucks ****.
That would be your opinion. I've had two cars with IRS and prefer it over SRA. I think my 04 rides better then our 06. And I don't have wheel hop anymore.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Stopsign32v

Established Member
That would be your opinion. I've had two cars with IRS and prefer it over SRA. I think my 04 rides better then our 06. And I don't have wheel hop anymore.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Solid axle > IRS at the track

And that isn't just my opinion.

I think there might be a different section on the board for making your car ride smooth on the road.

Users who are viewing this thread