2001 Cobra R, do you like the looks?

Mac99Snake

GSIP
Established Member
This was my R clone, except it had an 03 hood and engine.

file_zps0df543ae.jpg

CobRoush-00

Established Member
Get prepared if you go R...if you don't get the entire kit, people will almost immediately recognize that it's not an R and give you shit about it. Even if you get the entire kit and wheels, when you street drive it, due to how valuable R's for, the first question will be "Is that a real R?" And you'll get shit when you have to say no.

And then the avalanche of clone hate will come. If you show the car, this is an absolute no-no as many judges have an unwritten rule that you are immediately written off for a clone.

And who cares? If the OP loves his car, it really doesn't matter what "Haters" say. As long as he doesn't go out promoting he owns a true 00R. If there was a forbidden rules about a clone 00R, Ford would not have made the kit available to other Mustang owners. Let the "Haters" get a life!

00fobrar

Established Member
http://westcoastmustangs.com/temp/clone_at_knotts.jpgIf this is going to be a car driven on a regular basis, I'd say go for the 03/04 Cobra look. A Cobra R front end only works if you have a high suspension or don't plan on driving it much. If you've dropped the car, you are going to be focused A LOT on the road making sure you don't smash up the splitter.

This wouldn't happen to be your car, would it? :) I think I saw it in 2005 or 2006? If so, nice clone. :thumbsup:

clone_at_knotts.jpg

That would be mine!

Darkc0bra

....Pass
Established Member
2000 R not 2001 :fart: and I love the look of the Cobra R. If I ever get my hands on one I don't know what I would do with myself :rockon:

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
The black Cobra R clones are sweeeet. I've seen a few out and about at various shows over the years.

01RedBeardCobra

Established Member
Don't matter to me what ppl think. I'm not doing it to pretend its an R, just trying to make the car look nicer lol. I see plenty of people with 01's that have 03/04 hood and bumper. Because it just looks better... Lol

1hot281

Established Member
Not much about the Cobra R is done for the heck of it. Nearly everything is functional and has a purpose for track driving.

I don't think Ford released the Cobra R parts with the intention for people to make clones... rather I'd assume they released them because they're functional, and they know plenty of Mustang owners open track their cars and would like the benefits of Ford's R&D.

For the OP, do what you think looks good. As someone else stated above, the Cobra R front splitter isn't very street friendly... especially if you're lowered and your area has a lot of speed bumps and steep driveways

Last edited:

Lonehorse

Established Member
^ I actually Pm'd a guy a month or so back about that spoiler but didnt hear back

That's me. Sorry, it's a new email address I had set up and wasn't using yet. Forgot I had used it to set up my membership here. Just saw your message the other day. I got the mold made and the first repro out of it. Been testing it on my car to make sure there aren't any issues before I start selling it.

Lonehorse

Established Member
Oh okay. Let me know how it goes I'd be interested.

Definitely. I'm trying to get a list together of interested people. The more I have made at once the better price I can get. The fab shop killed me on the mold and one reproduction.

TBCobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
Looks pretty good. Is that sonic blue by the way? Doesnt quite look like it but its nice.

Lonehorse

Established Member
Looks pretty good. Is that sonic blue by the way? Doesnt quite look like it but its nice.

It's actually Atlantic Blue. Has a little bit of green in it compared to sonic. Not too many were made in that color.

Lonehorse

Established Member
What prices are you setting on it?

Probably around $250. I'm sure alot of people will think it's a bit pricey but that's the problem with making a piece for a small niche market. That's probably why no major companies ever made one. But if you really want to stand out from the herd, trust me, this will get people doing double takes. I constantly get bombarded with ?s and compliments about it at car shows.

notchstang92

Spoolin'
Established Member
I like the hood, thats why I have on my car from HO Fibertrends. It's fully functional and fit like an OEM hood. I don't like the front bumper or the wing. I don't mind side exhaust though and w/o tailpipes you have one less thing in your way if you are doing any IRS work.

jrgoffin

Been around...
Established Member
I like the hood, thats why I have on my car from HO Fibertrends. It's fully functional and fit like an OEM hood. I don't like the front bumper or the wing. I don't mind side exhaust though and w/o tailpipes you have one less thing in your way if you are doing any IRS work.

:thumbsup:

My hood from them should be arriving tomorrow. They cut the vents out for me - looks real nice so far. It will be great to have a functional heat-extracting hood. I'll also pass on the front splitter and rear spoiler!

333_zpsbc188a74.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread