2002 lightning brake pedal

jrpetrie

I have a 2002 lightning and the brake pedal would go to the floor, I replaced the master cylinder and now it goes about half way down before I get pedal, if I pump it there is plenty of pedal. could I have a faulty master cylinder or am I missing something
thanks

FireGuy

Clear As Mud
Established Member
First question, is it new or or rebuilt master, and did you bench bleed it before installing?

jrpetrie

I brought it in after and had all the fluids changed for my 100,000 miles service and they said they changed the brake fluid but the pedal didn't get any better

ashleyroachclip

Established Member
With the engine off , pump the brake pedantic it is hard
Hold it there , and see how long it takes to start creeping to the floor if it does.
If you have a system in good repair ,it will hold that firm pedal pretty much until you let off the pedal .
If this is the case ,do this .
With a tape measure , determine how far it is to the brake pedal from the seat back with the pedal pumped til firm .
Go to a hardware box store , buy an adjustable length shower curtain rod .
Adjust that rod to the approximate measurement you got.
Pump the pedal , I sent the rod from the seat back to the brake pedal.
Do not take your foot off the pedal until you are close to that point the rod holds the pedal down.
Once that is done , go to the right rear bleeder , open , watch for air and repeat until you have no air .

jrpetrie

With the engine off , pump the brake pedantic it is hard
Hold it there , and see how long it takes to start creeping to the floor if it does.
If you have a system in good repair ,it will hold that firm pedal pretty much until you let off the pedal .
If this is the case ,do this .
With a tape measure , determine how far it is to the brake pedal from the seat back with the pedal pumped til firm .
Go to a hardware box store , buy an adjustable length shower curtain rod .
Adjust that rod to the approximate measurement you got.
Pump the pedal , I sent the rod from the seat back to the brake pedal.
Do not take your foot off the pedal until you are close to that point the rod holds the pedal down.
Once that is done , go to the right rear bleeder , open , watch for air and repeat until you have no air .
I will try this , im on vacation right now so next week

Users who are viewing this thread