2007 Shelby Weight Problem????

1993cobramustan

P'O'd SVT POSTER
Established Member
According to the recent Jan and Feb magazine articles, weight of the car (coupe??) comes in at 3855 lbs, with 10 gals of gas, 4155 lbs. Has anyone looked at the 2004 cobra and done a comparison in weight and determined if the new Shelby is worth the extra bucks???? Based on the standard Corvette C6 times, is this car going to be any quicker?????

blueovalkid

The Snake Pit
Established Member
1993cobramustan said:
According to the recent Jan and Feb magazine articles, weight of the car (coupe??) comes in at 3855 lbs, with 10 gals of gas, 4155 lbs. Has anyone looked at the 2004 cobra and done a comparison in weight and determined if the new Shelby is worth the extra bucks???? Based on the standard Corvette C6 times, is this car going to be any quicker?????

The weight of the GT500 coupe is 3850. (at least that is what the mags are telling us) With ten gallons of fuel AND the driver it is 4155.
Yes I wish the car was lighter too, but I dont believe the extra 200lbs that the car has over the 03-04 Cobra, is going to ruin the car either.

The whole C6 comparison is irrelevant to me. I DONT want a Corvette! I want a Mustang! I wish everyone who keeps threatening to buy a Corvette instead, would... and then leave! Thats more for us! And dont let the door hit you on the ass on the way out! Rant off. :cuss:

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
And people wonder why I went on a diet and lost 10 lbs.

G. El Dorado

Established Member
blueovalkid said:
The whole C6 comparison is irrelevant to me. I DONT want a Corvette! I want a Mustang! I wish everyone who keeps threatening to buy a Corvette instead, would... and then leave! Thats more for us! And dont let the door hit you on the ass on the way out! Rant off. :cuss:

I agree 100%!

blueovalkid

The Snake Pit
Established Member
capello said:
Lets all trade up to a 06 Z06.....

If I am going to trade up from a GT500, its not going to be a Z06. Its going to be to a Ford GT. :rockon:

Diggy Moe

Established Member
I'm a loyal mustang fan looking to buy a new stang.But the Shelby,doesn't do it for me.Roush,Steeda,and Saleen mustangs are over priced.So the competitor is the only choice.
The january showing is when my mind will be made up.

badsube

Rescue Chief
Established Member
speaking of january, does anyone know the date of the first auto show scheduled? i just want to know when all the speculation will stop, although i think it's safe to say it will be one heavy piece of metal with one hell of a motor, but not much more.

Jpjr

Established Member
i don't really see the weight argument? these cars have always been tanks.. and the shelby is proportionally larger just like the GT. its hp to weight should be very similar though right? and with the larger displacement that ratio should move faster as the boost turns up.

SMOKE

Old School ROUSH
Established Member
Gross Curb weights:
SN95
96-98: 3064 approx
99-04: 3242 approx
S197
05-06: 3477 approx
Numbers are rough approximates, but the trend is apparent. Proportionally larger equates to heavier. The late model mustangs have gotten bigger and heavier and stiffer for better or worse.

1993cobramustan

P'O'd SVT POSTER
Established Member
badsube said:
speaking of january, does anyone know the date of the first auto show scheduled? i just want to know when all the speculation will stop, although i think it's safe to say it will be one heavy piece of metal with one hell of a motor, but not much more.

Detroit Show opens Jan 14...Press preview is on the 8th, so we might start getting info then.......

1993cobramustan

P'O'd SVT POSTER
Established Member
blueovalkid said:
The weight of the GT500 coupe is 3850. (at least that is what the mags are telling us) With ten gallons of fuel AND the driver it is 4155.
Yes I wish the car was lighter too, but I dont believe the extra 200lbs that the car has over the 03-04 Cobra, is going to ruin the car either.

First of all, we are comparing cars for another reason....Any manufacturer, can add some components to an existing car and say its the greatest since swiss cheese.....All we are saying is, if you are going to follow in the Shelby tradition, and for over 40,000.00...how about doing a little more engineering to replace some weight in the unibody, so that the car really has no equal....Chevrolet does it with the Corvettes, why can't Ford do it...(Aluminum block, lightweight body components......etc....etc....)

Users who are viewing this thread