2007 Shelby Weight Problem????

Evil_Merlin

Got VTEC?
Established Member
snakedoctor said:
all I'm saying is that the shelby is overhyped. Ya'll will see when it comes out. There are gonna be alot of hurt feelings.

No, what you are saying is crap. It's already looking like the GT500 will be 470-480 horses at the crank or around 450 at the wheels.

I don't know about anyone else, but it took me a full exhaust, cai and a throttle body to get my 04 up to that.

I don't think the GT500 is being overhyped at all. This one forum shows just the opposite. Sure there are a lot of people who feel the 03/04 Cobra is better, and even a few morons that think the 01 Cobra is the best car ever, but the simple fact of the matter is the GT500 is superior in almost every way (with the exception of weight) over the 03/04 Cobra. That includes handling, even with the supposed POS solid rear...

Evil_Merlin

Got VTEC?
Established Member
HISSMAN said:
New 03 cobra...Only about well, zero parts are the same.

I think what he is saying HISSMAN, is this is the 03/04 Cobra all over again, meaning a hell of a start/base for one hell of a ride...

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
I would say that it may be under rated on the power side, but only to the tune of about 465 crank HP. Another bad thing about it is the new Hybred Roots blower they are using. The top end is showing to be even less than the gen blowers on the Terminators. But the low and mid range is up a bit. I will just keep my eyes out for internal quality. The engine has a lot of potential, but the stock bottom end may be lacking.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Oh, and the snout appears to be much thicker on the new Eaton...so that may limit how small we can go with a pulley. A 3.0 may be pushing it. And we already know that a lower pulley swap will be very difficult, if not impossible without serious modification. The car will be a beast, but it most likely will not be as cheap or easy to mod as the 03/04 cobras. Except for the exhaust system..that will be a snap.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
HISSMAN said:
New 03 cobra...Only about well, zero parts are the same.

03 svt = heavy, nose heavy, lots of power, decent handling

07 svt = heavy, nose heavy, lots of power, decent handling

whats different about these two mustangs? small differences in numbers, and a new chasis and body for the 07. thats it. :burnout:

Evil_Merlin

Got VTEC?
Established Member
HISSMAN said:
I would say that it may be under rated on the power side, but only to the tune of about 465 crank HP. Another bad thing about it is the new Hybred Roots blower they are using. The top end is showing to be even less than the gen blowers on the Terminators. But the low and mid range is up a bit. I will just keep my eyes out for internal quality. The engine has a lot of potential, but the stock bottom end may be lacking.

Considering the car isn't even in production form yet, how can one make assumptions on the top end?

Captain Beyond

Established Member
Evil_Merlin said:
No, what you are saying is crap. It's already looking like the GT500 will be 470-480 horses at the crank or around 450 at the wheels.

I don't know about anyone else, but it took me a full exhaust, cai and a throttle body to get my 04 up to that.

I don't think the GT500 is being overhyped at all. This one forum shows just the opposite. Sure there are a lot of people who feel the 03/04 Cobra is better, and even a few morons that think the 01 Cobra is the best car ever, but the simple fact of the matter is the GT500 is superior in almost every way (with the exception of weight) over the 03/04 Cobra. That includes handling, even with the supposed POS solid rear...

+1 :thumbsup:

stangfreak

Established Member
if the new cobra weighs like a freakin pickup truck, i am going to slap the guy who designed the car in the face. they already made the 03 04 cobras heavy as it is

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
well considering its an all around bigger car, i, personally, would not expect it to be lighter. but thats just me i guess.

SVTkel

SVTKel
Established Member
Once upon a time I seriously debated trading in the Cobra and getting the $. Then putting my name on the "list" - I am glad I didn't when I found out they were dropping the twin screw.

Anyway, my point is the one thing I dislike about the Cobra is the damn IRS (wheel hop, breakage etc). One reason I would get an 07/08 Gt500 is because it has a solid.

And yes it will be a multi year production vehicle.

Orange Poison

Established Member
capello said:
Lets all trade up to a 06 Z06.....

I'd get one....if they're weren't so much damn money. Guys around So. Cal have been paying in excess of 90k!

for the new Shelby
4155 pounds is too damn heavy!

Last edited:

TheOne™

Established Member
i guess they even brought the weight apart from the old styling:), member back in the day cars were heavy and powerfull?:)

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
Blue Poison said:
I'd get one....if they're weren't so much damn money. Guys around So. Cal have been paying in excess of 90k!

for the new Shelby
4155 pounds is too damn heavy!

i know a guy in northern california that paid msrp for his new silver c6 z06. yea the 03 cobras are really light. :bash:

1993cobramustan

P'O'd SVT POSTER
Established Member
blueovalkid said:
This would be a good argument if the C6 and the GT500 were the same price, but they are not. (C6 starts at 44900, 46195 w/avg equip-numbers from GMs site- vs somewhere just north of 40,000 for the GT500 -although we really dont know what list will be yet nor do we know really what we will see in the production car but that is a whole different matter)
I dont want to hear about dealer markup either, thats not Fords greed but the dealers. If you are dumb enough to pay it, well then that is your problem.
I would like to think (hope) that if HTT had another 4 or 5 grand added to the price of this car that maybe he could have lightened up the car and added a few things that many feel are missing. (independant rear, aluminum block...etc.)

I think the car should follow in the Shelby tradition, not Ford bean-counter tradition.....Add a little bit more, get a lot more in performance, I know there are at least 7000 people out there who would buy it....and pay another 150.00 a month........

Vibrant_Sn95

Established Member
snakedoctor said:
It doesn't matter the 03-04 Cobra is a better bargain over the shelby

Because it was built off an ancient platform and it's interior was tad bit better than the one in my old 94 GT (which was dated back in 94). The 03/04 Cobra's had a great engine in a not so great cheap package/platform.

Seriously, It's like everyone forgot how old the 03/04 Cobra's platform was (fairmont/fox anyone??). Finally we have a new platform to work with. Yeah, there's a weight gain, but none is commenting on how much more solid the new platform is, etc...

I have no doubt, the GT500 will be a much better car than the 03/04 Cobra. Much like the new Mustang GT vs the previous gen 99-04 GT. The GT experienced a weight gain too, but it's still a much better car than the 99-04 sn95's....same with the GT500 in relation to the previous Cobra's i'm sure.

As for the guy comparing the GT500 to the c6 and wondering why the GT500 weighs so much, it might have a little thing to do with the heavy ass S/c'd 5.4, the back seats, and the large proportions, and the fact that the GT500 is built off a cheaper platform which it shares with the 19k v6 mustang. c6 is a purpose built 2 seater all fiberglass sports car, and was built from the ground up with lightweight, etc... in mind. No mustang could ever have that luxury because it'll always be hampered down by its lesser mustang siblings. The use of lightweight/exotic materials like aluminum and such would definitly drive the price up...and i don't know about you but i'd rather have a 3,850lb 450-500hp GT500 with a 40k pricetag than a 3,500lb (assume lighter weight materials used) 450-500hp GT500 with a 50-60k pricetag. No way in hell i'd even consider spending that much on a mustang, and Ford reliazes that which is why they're trying to keep the price under 40k. If you want a lightweight dedicated sports car for 40k, then you should be looking at the Lotus elise, not the GT500 or any mustang for that matter cause all are relative pigs by comparison.

I'm definitly not okay with a weight figure over 2tons, but won't raise hell over 3,850lbs (200lbs more than 03/04 Cobra). Giving the new platform, new more powerful motor, etc...i'm sure it'll still be a nice car.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Vibrant_Sn95 said:
Because it was built off an ancient platform and it's interior was tad bit better than the one in my old 94 GT (which was dated back in 94). The 03/04 Cobra's had a great engine in a not so great cheap package/platform.

Seriously, It's like everyone forgot how old the 03/04 Cobra's platform was (fairmont/fox anyone??). Finally we have a new platform to work with. Yeah, there's a weight gain, but none is commenting on how much more solid the new platform is, etc...

I have no doubt, the GT500 will be a much better car than the 03/04 Cobra. Much like the new Mustang GT vs the previous gen 99-04 GT. The GT experienced a weight gain too, but it's still a much better car than the 99-04 sn95's....same with the GT500 in relation to the previous Cobra's i'm sure.

As for the guy comparing the GT500 to the c6 and wondering why the GT500 weighs so much, it might have a little thing to do with the heavy ass S/c'd 5.4, the back seats, and the large proportions, and the fact that the GT500 is built off a cheaper platform which it shares with the 19k v6 mustang. c6 is a purpose built 2 seater all fiberglass sports car, and was built from the ground up with lightweight, etc... in mind. No mustang could ever have that luxury because it'll always be hampered down by its lesser mustang siblings. The use of lightweight/exotic materials like aluminum and such would definitly drive the price up...and i don't know about you but i'd rather have a 3,850lb 450-500hp GT500 with a 40k pricetag than a 3,500lb (assume lighter weight materials used) 450-500hp GT500 with a 50-60k pricetag. No way in hell i'd even consider spending that much on a mustang, and Ford reliazes that which is why they're trying to keep the price under 40k. If you want a lightweight dedicated sports car for 40k, then you should be looking at the Lotus elise, not the GT500 or any mustang for that matter cause all are relative pigs by comparison.

I'm definitly not okay with a weight figure over 2tons, but won't raise hell over 3,850lbs (200lbs more than 03/04 Cobra). Giving the new platform, new more powerful motor, etc...i'm sure it'll still be a nice car.

Like your thinkin man. Stated alot of things I was thinking. :beer:
I'll take a 200# weight gain over my '04 for a better car with more potential, and be happy to pay under $40k for it. :beer:
Like others have said, I'm waiting for the auto show when I can actually see this car in person. After that, I hope all this BS hype will die down till we actually get production cars and go through all this fun again.
I love my '04 and I have another reason now---it greatly helped our learning curb on the new Shelby.
-J

Last edited:

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Vibrant_Sn95 said:

C'mon, nobody around here wants to listen to a voice of reason!!?? :beer:

They just want to b!tch! :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread