2007 Shelby Weight Problem????

Captain Beyond

Established Member
Vibrant_Sn95 said:
Because it was built off an ancient platform and it's interior was tad bit better than the one in my old 94 GT (which was dated back in 94). The 03/04 Cobra's had a great engine in a not so great cheap package/platform.

Seriously, It's like everyone forgot how old the 03/04 Cobra's platform was (fairmont/fox anyone??). Finally we have a new platform to work with. Yeah, there's a weight gain, but none is commenting on how much more solid the new platform is, etc...

I have no doubt, the GT500 will be a much better car than the 03/04 Cobra. Much like the new Mustang GT vs the previous gen 99-04 GT. The GT experienced a weight gain too, but it's still a much better car than the 99-04 sn95's....same with the GT500 in relation to the previous Cobra's i'm sure.

As for the guy comparing the GT500 to the c6 and wondering why the GT500 weighs so much, it might have a little thing to do with the heavy ass S/c'd 5.4, the back seats, and the large proportions, and the fact that the GT500 is built off a cheaper platform which it shares with the 19k v6 mustang. c6 is a purpose built 2 seater all fiberglass sports car, and was built from the ground up with lightweight, etc... in mind. No mustang could ever have that luxury because it'll always be hampered down by its lesser mustang siblings. The use of lightweight/exotic materials like aluminum and such would definitly drive the price up...and i don't know about you but i'd rather have a 3,850lb 450-500hp GT500 with a 40k pricetag than a 3,500lb (assume lighter weight materials used) 450-500hp GT500 with a 50-60k pricetag. No way in hell i'd even consider spending that much on a mustang, and Ford reliazes that which is why they're trying to keep the price under 40k. If you want a lightweight dedicated sports car for 40k, then you should be looking at the Lotus elise, not the GT500 or any mustang for that matter cause all are relative pigs by comparison.

I'm definitly not okay with a weight figure over 2tons, but won't raise hell over 3,850lbs (200lbs more than 03/04 Cobra). Giving the new platform, new more powerful motor, etc...i'm sure it'll still be a nice car.

I couldn't have said it better myself, bro. :beer:

Skywarp

Established Member
ON D BIT said:
yea the 03 cobras are really light. :bash:
The 03,04 Cobras were heavy cars too but the GT500 takes it to far thats the point. Instead of rectifying the problem it got worse. Lets say the 500 has a max safe rwhp number of 600. Just like the Terminator there are limits. The Terminators pistons are good to 600 and from what I've been seeing the 500 may have crappy rods that might limit capability also. So if both cars are equal in number at the rear tire and the 03,04 weighs less out of the box it can be lightened further. Remember the 03,04 has the IRS and can be swapped out for a lighter solid axle. Everybody seems to forget that. So its quite possible that a Terminator could tip the scales at 3500lbs give or take and still be quite competitive. With the 500 there's no such hope.

Blacknblue

SVT G-Force Tester
Established Member
There is something psycological about crossing the 4,000 pound figure. Sort of like crossing 200 pounds after thanksgiving dinner. All cars are a compromise of many factors. Would the market be willing to spend $5,000 more for a car that weighs 200 pounds less?

Comparing a Cobra to a Z06 (or even a C6) is apples and oranges. They accelerate and handle differently no matter what you do to them. Both are a blast to drive.

broeli

Established Member
Terminator said:
For 200lbs, NFW!
500lbs, absolutely.
Same here. Considering the Shelby will cost 5k+ more than the 03/04 Cobra it should already incorporate the 500lb weight loss though :D
It'd definitely be worth it if it came with lightweight aluminum panels, lightweight Recaros, etc. I'm sure 500lbs would be tough to lose no matter what though with the heavy ass 5.4l.
200-300lbs would be fairly easy and not all that costly though.

01L2Cobra

Banned
Vibrant_Sn95 said:
Because it was built off an ancient platform and it's interior was tad bit better than the one in my old 94 GT (which was dated back in 94). The 03/04 Cobra's had a great engine in a not so great cheap package/platform.
And the GT500 is better how? The platform is just a modified Mazda3 with even some of the same suspension parts. The interior seems to be out of a Mazdaspeed6. Plus its 2 F*ing tons with horrid weight distribution all for $40-45K+.

01L2Cobra

Banned
Blacknblue said:
Would the market be willing to spend $5,000 more for a car that weighs 200 pounds less?
You know what is funny? How the Miata can get weight reduction in the bumpers, hood, trunk lid, and engine and still cost the same after all of that.

Last edited:

AkronCobra

Established Member
01L2Cobra said:
And the GT500 is better how? The platform is just a modified Mazda3 with even some of the same suspension parts. The interior seems to be out of a Mazdaspeed6. Plus its 2 F*ing tons with horrid weight distribution all for $40-45K+.
+1 Ford should change the name to LSC.

broeli

Established Member
01L2Cobra said:
You know what is funny? How the Miata can get weight reduction in the bumpers, hood, trunk lid, and engine and still cost the same after all of that.
I agree. Everyone talks like doing lightweight measures is super expensive. For manufacturers to do it isn't very costly. The added cost is the difference in cost of materials only which is minimal in bulk. There are MANY cars that are improved on with lightweight materials year after year. The Mustang seems to be one they simply don't bother with though. The Evo for example comes out with lighter weight pieces each year it seems...door beams, roof, trunk, etc. but the price remains the same or very very close to the same. Hell the '06 Evo came out with more hp, better/bigger compressor housing turbo/10.5 hotside, lighter trunk, Mivec variable cam timing, redesigned front bumper, different upholstered seats, ACD, front lsd, etc. but the price is virtually the same!
Just look around at other manufacturers and their "preformance" cars..alot of them do it year after year without significant added cost. I used the Evo because I know more about them and what has been done better than I do some other cars.
Ford didn't jack up the prices of the 05 GT 5-10k over the price of the 04 GT..why are they doing it with the Shelby over the price of the 04 Cobra? The new platform isn't an excuse, the motor isn't a good excuse, the solid rear certainly isn't a good excuse. I guess it is the Shelby name.. :nonono:
People expect more out of 40-45K car. If it was 30-35k like it should be I doubt there would be so much complaining.

beabout

Established Member
1. If you like it buy it.....

2. When SVT decided to use the Heaton again I lost interest.

3. For the kind of money it will cost you, if you consider dealer marke up, I am not going to buy one.

4. Face it guys, vetts are faster... and handle better.

FuzzyBuffalo

Established Member
A friend of mine called SVT a couple of months ago and they said the coupe's would go for $45k and the vert close to $50k and that Ford was not going to let the dealers markup the price. Though I don't know how they can stop them? Oh they also said that Shelby was going to sign the hood of the first couple of hundred.

Evil_Merlin

Got VTEC?
Established Member
01L2Cobra said:

And the SN9x Mustang is just a modified Falcon.

The engine in the Corvette is an ancient pushrod engine.

Moron.

01L2Cobra

Banned
Evil_Merlin said:
The engine in the Corvette is an ancient pushrod engine.
Yea and it doesn't take the aid of a power band-aid like a SC to make 400 or 500hp stock. Not to mention its smaller and lighter than the 4.6DOHC.

Last edited:

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
Miata Love said:
And that my friend is why I will never buy one.

really? i thought it was because the vette is too expensive. and it is too fast. and it handled too well. was well, out of your league. :eek: after all the vette is everything that you want the gt500 to be.

Miata Love

Banned
ON D BIT said:
really? i thought it was because the vette is too expensive. and it is too fast. and it handled too well. was well, out of your league. :eek: after all the vette is everything that you want the gt500 to be.

Actually I think the Corvette is a bargain for 45k. It may be too fast but I never go around flooring my cars anyways so it wouldn't matter if it is. I mean I'm not the Bandit you know? I just like taking corners fast and for that the Corvette is perfect. My only problem with it is the technology that went into it is too old (pushrods, leafsprings, 6liters...etc) and it doesn't have a backseat. It's a good car though.

Evil_Merlin

Got VTEC?
Established Member
01L2Cobra said:
Yea and it doesn't take the aid of a power band-aid like a SC to make 400 or 500hp stock. Not to mention its smaller and lighter than the 4.6DOHC.

What the HELL does it matter if Ford uses a supercharger or not?

If you remember correctly the 2000 Cobra R made 400 Horsepower (it was underrated at 385).

This is SUCH a typical ricer statement.

Superchargers and turbo's ain't bandaides, and the only people that think they are, are people that get beat by cars with them.

Evil_Merlin

Got VTEC?
Established Member
ON D BIT said:
and chevy is still using those damn leaf springs in the rear. :poke:

Yep, you don't hear people complaining about that now do you?

Nope. It's OMG Ford is using a Solid Rear. It doesn't matter that the solid rear outperforms the existing IRS in the Cobra.

Users who are viewing this thread