2011 Blown GT does not like Texas heat and E85 - how to solve?

Bman331

Established Member
My 2011 had had this issue for 2.5 years. After highway cruising, at tip in it will stumble, then eventually just die for a second, then sputter back to life. It gets worse if I do not stop and let things cool down. Feels like running out of fuel while driving. Multiple tunes, two blowers nd two different motors! Something about hot temps in Texas, E85 and what seems to be the fuel system are a bad mix - never had an issue with 93 octane. Tuner turned off the adaptive learning and thought we had it fixed, but then again today.
Anyone else? Fuel pumps? Injectors? (unlikely I think). How do I troubleshoot?
2011 GT
2014 aluminator 9.5:1
ID 1000 injectors
Whipple 2.9, front inlet
Kooks LTs

Sluggie24

Established Member
I don't claim to know what is causing your problem, but E85 has a high alcohol content and alcohol vaporizes faster than gasoline with higher temps. Is it possible that you are getting vapor pockets in the fuel rails when it gets really hot out?

I wouldn't even know how to check that other than data logging and looking for the forward O2 sensors to suddenly go lean when the hesitation happens. If you know the injectors and pump are good then vapor lock would be the only explanation.

If I were to of guessed correctly and that is causing the problem, then the only way to fix it would be to lower the underhood temp. Just spitballing but an aftermarket raised cowl hood, possibly with some air vents in it, might carry out enough heat to fix the issue.

Or my guess could be way off who knows. lol

Bman331

Established Member
Well I found the problem - sort of "heat" related. This is the connector from the pigtail that connects to the Fuel Pump Driver Module. Three pump system installed by a Dallas shop, and the OEM connections were wired into a Vortech BAP from a previous build. Replaced and rewired and working

Attachments

• Burnt connector.JPG
    Burnt connector.JPG
    39.3 KB · Views: 100

Users who are viewing this thread