2013 EcoBoost Explorer Vs. 2010 Sti (Dig Race)

JPKII

Established Member
Single Barrel Sirs
impressive for a drag strip,

yea its actually quite hand full to launch a STi correctly, well trap speed shows which is more capable for straight line, but in the real world condition (non of that fantasy glued road) dig on public street with even skilled driver, i think the STi might have the upper hand, show room factory bone stock, for the drag strip it will favor the cobra more since it has more power, rolls for sure the cobra is gonna win. but every other performance test you can think off after that, the cobra loses pretty bad

+1 on that. I had my 03 Cobra and 05 STi at the same time. Yeah, the cobra, on drag radials, 8 lbs lower, LTs & off road exhaust, was an absolute beast. In a straight line. Couldn't stop for shit. Couldn't turn for shit. If we had inclement weather the best place for the Cobra was in the garage. Now when we have storms or blizzards I am absolutely itching to get the STi out and flog the shit out of it. For the slight loss in straight line performance with the STi to me it was worth it.

KenB

Established Member
1302.jpg

SVTlove

USAFR Recruiter
Established Member
if you use the launch control feature the accessport the STi takes off like a bat out of hell. it didn't look like the driver in this video did that. he just rolled out of a stop and punched it, which takes the takeoff advantage right out of the STi, then you simply match the ecoboost power for power in a straight line. no surprise on the result. my STi is no world beater from a roll that's for sure.... put on a twisty road, or dirt, snow, or rain and it is the funnest car ever!

ChiSVT

SVT 4 Life
Established Member
Both cars have intake and tune. Forgot to add that in, my bad.

Well tune on that ECOBOOST = more boost.

Correct if I'm wrong, but a BC is required on the STI to accomplish the same.

"Tune only" equates to so much more on newer turbo cars. If the Explorer is a low 13 second car it shouldn't be running way by bus lengths against an STI. Not to take away from your kill, but, it shouldn't..:shrug:

ChiSVT

SVT 4 Life
Established Member
impressive for a drag strip,

yea its actually quite hand full to launch a STi correctly, well trap speed shows which is more capable for straight line, but in the real world condition (non of that fantasy glued road) dig on public street with even skilled driver, i think the STi might have the upper hand, show room factory bone stock, for the drag strip it will favor the cobra more since it has more power, rolls for sure the cobra is gonna win. but every other performance test you can think off after that, the cobra loses pretty bad

Nah. With equal drivers the STI is a dog that will get passed like it's standing still after it's initial launch. We are talking about a car that traps 10mph faster out of the box, unless the driver in the Cobra spins through 3 gears it should be rape.

Bolt-on Cobra 18inch street tires vs. Bolt-on + boost STI. Cobra even lets him steal the hit from a dig and runs him down.

[youtube_browser]ZrP8l8NaZ9g[/youtube_browser]

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread