2013 GT500 Rear Axle Assembly Swap (Entire Assembly from 11-14 GT)

pierce88

Established Member
Guys,

So I was doing some brain storming in preparation for my half my event in Ocala this fall.

Some background my car currently has 3.73 gears swapped in for drag racing (700whp, 10.8@130) which will be far from ideal for the half mile (Have to shift into 5th).

Anyone have any idea if I can use a Rear Axle Assembly from any other 2011-2014 Mustang GTs? These are literally less than the cost of swapping gears in my current 8.8". Also not really worried about breaking anything as the half mile events are basically from a roll and I will be running street tires.

The 3.15 or 3.55 gears are extremely easy to find on ebay and range in cost from $400-$600 which is less than alot of shops charge to swap gears.

Let me know your thoughts but this seams like a MUCH easier alternative to swapping gears in my current axle back and for.

-Pierce

M91196

Established Member
Year for year same other than the differential options(traction lock only option in regular GT) and brake caliper brackets same I believe.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Yes you can swap in a GT 8.8.
You may need to swap the driveshaft flange, and definitely will need the brake brackets swapped.
Funny though, best in my opinion to use the stock rear and brakes (and Torsen?) for mile and build the GT rear for drag use and keep the smaller brakes for 15" drag wheels.
Once you're 8.8 starts whining from the drag use, a 9" swap actually allows you to swap center sections easily, allowing easy gear swaps.
-J

Bad Company

Established Member
If your car came with the Performance Pack option then your rear axle has a Gleason Torsion differential. The other thing that will be different is the inner pinion bearing is larger on a 13-14 GT500, you'll have the earlier smaller diameter bearing in an axle from GT. Also the 13-14 GT500 axle housings have the axle tubes plug welded to the center section for added strength. Your rear caliper brake brackets are different. This was done to allow the use of the larger diameter rotor for the 13-14 GT500s. The brake calipers are identical for a GT and a GT500. This would allow you to either retain the brakes the way they are or as bimini stated swap the bigger diameter brake rotors and calipers to the 1/2 mile rear, while installing the smaller diameter rotor brake caliper brackets and rotors to the drag rear to facilitate installing 15" diameter wheels for a better set of tires suited for drag racing.

pierce88

Established Member
Yes you can swap in a GT 8.8.
You may need to swap the driveshaft flange, and definitely will need the brake brackets swapped.
Funny though, best in my opinion to use the stock rear and brakes (and Torsen?) for mile and build the GT rear for drag use and keep the smaller brakes for 15" drag wheels.
Once you're 8.8 starts whining from the drag use, a 9" swap actually allows you to swap center sections easily, allowing easy gear swaps.
-J

Already have done the BPS Rear brake kit to allow 15" wheels to clear. Have also done 3.73 gears and strange 31 spline axles. Yes the Rear wines like crazy.

If your car came with the Performance Pack option then your rear axle has a Gleason Torsion differential. The other thing that will be different is the inner pinion bearing is larger on a 13-14 GT500, you'll have the earlier smaller diameter bearing in an axle from GT. Also the 13-14 GT500 axle housings have the axle tubes plug welded to the center section for added strength. Your rear caliper brake brackets are different. This was done to allow the use of the larger diameter rotor for the 13-14 GT500s. The brake calipers are identical for a GT and a GT500. This would allow you to either retain the brakes the way they are or as bimini stated swap the bigger diameter brake rotors and calipers to the 1/2 mile rear, while installing the smaller diameter rotor brake caliper brackets and rotors to the drag rear to facilitate installing 15" diameter wheels for a better set of tires suited for drag racing.

Have the performance Pack. My main concern with Bolting it up is would the drive shaft connect without any issues. Didn't know if there was some different lengths with the TR6060 or with that pinion bearing.

-Pierce

Bad Company

Established Member
Looking up the part numbers on Autonation Ford White Bear Lake's website to see if the driveshaft flange is the same for a 2011 GT versus a 2014 GT500 they both use the same flange with part number 5R3Z-4851-A. Knowing this I'd say you'd be able to directly bolt the 8.8" rear axle housing from the early GT with a set of 3.15 or 3.31 gears into your car without issues.

boduke0220

Established Member
Is 5th 1:1 on the TR6060? In my 700whp GT I was doing 159-160 in the 1/2 and my 5th is 1:1, with 3.31 it was perfect!

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
Forth is 1:1. Fifth is .8 for 2007 - 2009, .74 for 2010 - 2012 and .77 for 2013 - 2014

pierce88

Established Member
Looking up the part numbers on Autonation Ford White Bear Lake's website to see if the driveshaft flange is the same for a 2011 GT versus a 2014 GT500 they both use the same flange with part number 5R3Z-4851-A. Knowing this I'd say you'd be able to directly bolt the 8.8" rear axle housing from the early GT with a set of 3.15 or 3.31 gears into your car without issues.

This. That's great news. Can literally get a 3.15 Rear Axle Assembly from an 11-14 GT from the parts farm for $400. It literally includes everything right down to the shocks, springs, brakes, brake lines, upper and lower control arms.

Wouldnt use alot of that stuff but its pretty crazy how cheap they get.

Seems like to swap the entire axle assembly, Move the calipers over (Because who wants to mess with the brake lines), and bolt the drive shaft, upper and lower control arms up. Adjust tune for new gear ratio.

Bet it could be done in 3-4 hours.

-Pierce

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
Bet it could be done in 3-4 hours.
1-2, once the axle is set up. If the axle has the brake brackets, it's just a matter of swapping rotors and calipers. I've considered this route if I ever have mile plans again.

Users who are viewing this thread