2013 gt500 rear break noise

kwarnerjr

Established Member
So my 2013 gt500 has been plagued with a rear break squeak. The squeak is a revolution (squeak-squeak-squeak) as the wheels are turning over. Also the squeak occurs when I am completely off the brake then amplifies when I lightly press the brakes. The sound disappears after more applied pressure. I recently replaced both pads and rotors with OEM replacements and the sound disappeared for a month. Unfortunately the sound is back and acting the same way. I'm concerned about a slightly bent axle? Any thoughts??
Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

nxhappy

Established Member
if the pads/rotors are new I doubt there is a problem...some brakes just squeek if the contact pad on the outside isn't lubed

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
Agree with both above. I would check axle runout first. Then it has to be a caliper piston sticking or actually sprung.

Tom

paluka21

Established Member
I have the same issue with my car. I couldn't find anything amiss with the brakes, so I'm guessing it could be an axle even though I've never launched the car hard.

hostile500

Established Member
I have had the same issue with my fronts doing this same thing. you can either take them off clean the brake pads and scuff them up again or put an aftermarket pad on. I went with the HAWK pads and the problems went away. I replaced everything and found the same.

paluka21

Established Member
OP, do what I'm about to do and jack the rear of the car up and spin the rear tires. If you have a bent axle you will see it with a wheel(s) wobbling.

kwarnerjr

Established Member
OP, do what I'm about to do and jack the rear of the car up and spin the rear tires. If you have a bent axle you will see it with a wheel(s) wobbling.

Tried that, couldn't decide if I saw a wobble because I was looking for one or if there actually was one. I am going to have the dealership probe the axle/brakes and see what they say.

kwarnerjr

Established Member
Took it to the dealership and after a process to prove the existence of a squeak they measured the runout and determined that the axle was not straight. Under warranty but the replacement axle is on back order until 2/17.

Imatk

Established Member
Took it to the dealership and after a process to prove the existence of a squeak they measured the runout and determined that the axle was not straight. Under warranty but the replacement axle is on back order until 2/17.

Glad you found the problem... don't you love it when you have to prove a problem when asking for warranty work?

If you weren't under warranty they probably would have found noises you didn't even know you had :)

paluka21

Established Member

I may have to push the same thing because I have the exact same squeak.
Problem is, the problem will come right back with Ford axles. With the weight of these cars, the just can't stand up when adding all the power to the equation.

kwarnerjr

Established Member
Update:

Finally got the rear axle installed after a month of back order waiting. While the car was at the dealer I got a call informing me that there was a delay because none of the techs had done the job before on a GT500 (apparently the GT doesn't have cooling lines running to the diff). So that was a little unsettling but it is what it is and they eventually got the guidance to finish the axle install.

I got the car back and to my surprise they had driven it 10 miles. I was shocked so I went and asked why. They told me that with drivetrain mods they drive a little further to ensure there are no issues (Bs answer but fine). I figured there was no point in pressing the issue so I left. When I got back in the car I then noticed that they went 10 miles and used 1 gallon of gas. Simple calculation of 10 mpg...as we all know the car of driven normally should fall 14+ in the city. Safe to say I was ticked off. Went back and ripped the manager a new one. Moral of the story, f**k dealerships.

Side note:
My amplifier for the rear sub died. It was draining the battery when parked. Just something for 13' owners to look out for. Part is 300ish + labor.

Imatk

Established Member
You should get a dash cam. That takes care of any shenanigans... and if there is ever a question you just go to the footage.

Users who are viewing this thread