2013 Shelby GT500 Stock and Mods

Shhhh

Established Member
No arguing that at all. but was it really worth all the extra money spent?

I just think they are so over priced... I wonder what the profit margin is for manufacturer and dealer. Are we paying for R&D costs here? How much could it possibly cost to build this car?

We all know we can dump 10K into a terminator or a new 5.0 and have the same performance or better.

Its like when DVD players first came out, they cost 500.00, now you can pick them up for 39.99 at walmart.

I understand what you are saying but "overpriced"? Im not sure where you can get this much performance out of the box for so little money. Of course things are going to get cheaper over time though and this car will be bought for 40K in a few years. That can be said with any car. There are older,cheaper and faster cars then the 2013 GT500 no doubt. I just didnt want an older car anymore and its worth every penny. Just all depends how many pennies you have I guess.

Shhhh

Established Member
There are definitely cheaper ways to go faster. Im not arguing with you on that. The 03/04 Cobras are one of those ways(probably the best way IMO). I just wanted a new base car to build off of. Its all good :beer:

Yellow03snake

Established Member

I just think they are so over priced... I wonder what the profit margin is for manufacturer and dealer. Are we paying for R&D costs here? How much could it possibly cost to build this car?

We all know we can dump 10K into a terminator or a new 5.0 and have the same performance or better.

Its like when DVD players first came out, they cost 500.00, now you can pick them up for 39.99 at walmart.

You have obviously not driven anything past an 03 Cobra, I've went through the entire evolution, from 5.0 foxes, SN95s, 03 Cobras, S197 a GT500 and a new 5.0, the cars get better every year.

I'm looking to add a Boss or '13 to my 5.0. There is no way in hell I'd go back to an 03, even if it came with a trunk full of $20 bills. I know most 03 owners think the Mustang stopped improving in 04, but that is simply not the case...

Shhhh

Established Member
thought this forum was called the "time slip bar?" :shrug:

Time Slip Bar
Time slips and Dyno Graphs

My original post had a mix of videos and dyno graphs so I figured Id put it in here since its for dyno graphs as well.

Rick88LX

Established Member

Start simply with material costs nine years later...then all the incremental increases for everything else and take a guess what an equivalent '03/'04 vintage vehicle would cost? Then consider the increased content that a '13 has over the '03/'04 vehicle. Ford isn't getting rich on these cars.
For reference...the tires I bought for my car in '04 now cost 50% more. Consider that everything else is more expensive. Wages, benefits, etc. Bought any copper wire lately? Copper cost was up over 30% about three years ago. The price of fuel is double. See where this is going?

Here's another way to look at it...how much was an '03 Z06 vs. a '13 Z06?

rwboring

Established Member

Yes, yes it is worth the money to some.

its like when terminators first came out how many people bought them new? With inflation of the auto industry it is almost the same cost (base for base) and these cars have a ton of options that the terminators didn't have (seats, nav, glass roof, torsen, electronic suspension, multiple cooling systems, etc).

I just think it is funny how terminators owners are still trying to defend themselves and a 10 year old car.

Don't get me wrong the terminator was way ahead of its time. However you are comparing prices of cars with a 70% addition in stock power.

Another way to look at it is... is a terminator worth it when you could have THIS for much cheaper?

boost4me

Banned
Start simply with material costs nine years later...then all the incremental increases for everything else and take a guess what an equivalent '03/'04 vintage vehicle would cost? Then consider the increased content that a '13 has over the '03/'04 vehicle. Ford isn't getting rich on these cars.
For reference...the tires I bought for my car in '04 now cost 50% more. Consider that everything else is more expensive. Wages, benefits, etc. Bought any copper wire lately? Copper cost was up over 30% about three years ago. The price of fuel is double. See where this is going?

Here's another way to look at it...how much was an '03 Z06 vs. a '13 Z06?

Definitely right there, no arguing that!

boost4me

Banned
You have obviously not driven anything past an 03 Cobra, I've went through the entire evolution, from 5.0 foxes, SN95s, 03 Cobras, S197 a GT500 and a new 5.0, the cars get better every year.

I'm looking to add a Boss or '13 to my 5.0. There is no way in hell I'd go back to an 03, even if it came with a trunk full of $20 bills. I know most 03 owners think the Mustang stopped improving in 04, but that is simply not the case...

Well my history is limited I'll admit that... first mustang was an 03' Mach 1 and only bought that over the Cobra *mistakenly* because there was a 13K difference in out the door price didn't realize how much better the Cobra was. I could have kicked myself... IMO the whole platform went south in 2005, underpowered and overweight (except for the over priced GT500), until the slight new body style came out with the new 5.0.

So right before I bought my terminator I drove a 5.0 last fall. I went on a pretty hard test drive since I new the sales guy at the dealer, we tore it up pretty good. I just wasn't that impressed... I wanted the forged, super charged motor and couldn't afford a GT500. Fortunately I found a virgin RedFire coupe for 20K.

Jroc

Established Member

You sir need to grow up. You are likely a newb to your Terminator, and are letting it blind you as Terminators are fun, entertaining, and fast little cars when modded. Still this car will straight up and down skeet all over a Terminator stock for stock or mod for mod in every conceivable way. Even the 09 GT500 I drove was without a doubt better than a Terminator. This car is not the new Terminator it is the new car that represents what a Terminator was 8-10 years ago. That's like saying the 03/04 Cobra is the new 93 Cobra. Do you realize how much work you would have to do to a Terminator to put down the same #'s he did with bolton, and particularly it's lb-ft.(without going to a shot)

A Terminators platform compares about as favorably against a new S197's platform as a 65 Mustang platform compares against a Terminators platform. Let see how fast randy Pobst can wheel a stock or even TS Terminator around Laguna Sega. He managed a 1:38 in a new GT500 which is pretty damn good. If the SRA on a S197 is a 10 then the IRS in a Terminator is a 5 at best. Hell the SRA(infact the chassis) on my F150 in my sig is better than a Terminators. I just wish I could say the same about it's motor.

There I said it. Terminator owners do not feel that your cars are in the same league as a 2013 GT500. They are fun, and cool ass cars that run hard, but they are well behind what a new aluminum block GT500 is so you should stop trying to compare them to the OP's car. You're built/TS Terminator likely doesn't even match his #'s.

Yes I DD a Terminator for 3.5 years, and I loved it. They are a blst to drive and my car never failed to impress unknowing passengers. I have also driven several stock, and modded Terminators that weren't mine.

Nice #'s OP. I would love to have a 2013 GT500.

Last edited:

HPRacing

SVTP Lurker
Established Member
Whats with all the generalization of 03/04 Cobra owners? I'm fairly certain most have much respect for the GT500. Instead say "Some Terminator owners think (insert opinion here)" and make me happy ;-)

I personally would have loved to get a GT500 rather than a Terminator but they cost $15-20k more just to get into an '07-'08. :shrug:

C6Z06427

Established Member
Great numbers for such little mods but this was on 100 octane though. At around 8 bucks a gallon, you're not definetely using this as a DD unless you got deep pockets :D

Shhhh

Established Member
giggity....

Thanks

...They are fun, and cool ass cars that run hard, but they are well behind what a new aluminum block GT500 is so you should stop trying to compare them to the OP's car. You're built/TS Terminator likely doesn't even match his #'s....

Nice #'s OP. I would love to have a 2013 GT500.

Thanks and like I said before; I had a 2003 Cobra with 656rwhp and its night and day the difference in cars. The 2013 is hands down better.

Great numbers for such little mods but this was on 100 octane though. At around 8 bucks a gallon, you're not definetely using this as a DD unless you got deep pockets :D

Thanks and its an out of the box Lund 100 tune. It will be getting thrown on the dyno for a tune as soon as they make a black upper pulley. I hate the polished look. This car will never see anything less than 100 octane.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread