2017 Inspection; MAC

sdoo500

Established Member
Is there any hope at all for passing with an o/r mid pipe?

Really don't want to bring the car back to stock to get a sticker. I'm already a few months over due unfortunately and don't want to put it off too much longer.

I can do stickers at work, the guys here will pass me for whatever they can but to my knowledge there's nothing they can do if the monitors are reading not ready. Tint and stuff isn't an issue, but they said they couldn't get around the monitors being not ready. I think I had three reading that when we plugged it in.

Buckwheat 1

I like Blm junk in my butt
Established Member
Well thankfully I haven't gone that far yet. I still have my stock mid, I could throw on and go back to the catted tune. I would think that wouldn't be an issue. My tune is from last year if I recall. I'll reach out to Lund and see if he's got any info on an updated tune. Can tuners update their tunes to make it comply with this new check?

I'd much rather just get a hi-flow catted mid and utilize the 02 sensors properly if it'll avoid the headache of future inspections. I'm assuming the state just wants to make sure you're following emissions strictly.

And yea the shop inspector told me he could have caught it beforehand. But I didn't really care at the time. It's whatever. It's not the end of the world. Just want to attack it the best/easiest way possible and move on with my life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The right tuner is the answer. I am not sure if my tuner has the same rules as fight club.

FromGTtoSVT

can't believe I am still here
Established Member
Is there any hope at all for passing with an o/r mid pipe?

Really don't want to bring the car back to stock to get a sticker. I'm already a few months over due unfortunately and don't want to put it off too much longer.

I can do stickers at work, the guys here will pass me for whatever they can but to my knowledge there's nothing they can do if the monitors are reading not ready. Tint and stuff isn't an issue, but they said they couldn't get around the monitors being not ready. I think I had three reading that when we plugged it in.

I have a Mac Prochamber ( no cats ) and I pass just fine

A good tuner ( Pete @ Performance Dyno ) can get you straight

hRnYg0aTw33d

Established Member
everyone ive talked to from up here raves about Pete and ive really been contemplating bringing my car there. maybe ill just get by this inspection and take the car up there to have the tune more dialed in with my o/r X.

bigdog93lx

Gallons per mile
Established Member
I just came back from a MAC service center too. Except I failed the visual inspection because I have 2 highflow catalytic converters instead of the OE 4 cats. He said I can either switch back to the stock midpipe or provide/ find the CARB Executive Order number for the performance part.
I think this should be stamped on my exhaust somewhere but my car is low enough where there is no way he could see it.
I might send an email to Lethal Perf. where I bought the exhaust 12 years ago and see if they know the CARB EO #.

In 2019 I won't have to worry about this BS.

hRnYg0aTw33d

Established Member
I just came back from a MAC service center too. Except I failed the visual inspection because I have 2 highflow catalytic converters instead of the OE 4 cats. He said I can either switch back to the stock midpipe or provide/ find the CARB Executive Order number for the performance part.
I think this should be stamped on my exhaust somewhere but my car is low enough where there is no way he could see it.
I might send an email to Lethal Perf. where I bought the exhaust 12 years ago and see if they know the CARB EO #.

In 2019 I won't have to worry about this BS.

What center did you go to? Im surprised they give you a visual inspection. How did the visit go overall? Any other issues? Im going to use my stock mid and re-enable my catted tune. After i get through im going to performance dyno for a new tune.

bigdog93lx

Gallons per mile
Established Member
I went to the center in Beverly on park street. It was an ok experience. I didn't get any crap about my tint or drag radials.
I feel like it is a complete waste of time though. Especially since I have cats just 2 high flow instead of 4. You would think that the visual inspection would just be that I have cats period.
I asked him if everything else is fine because I don't want to come back and forth any more than I need to and he said everything else is good...

We'll see what actually happens.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Tifosi2003GT

Established Member
Get a 4 bank chip and dial in the monitors at will.

This is the answer to every post...lol I just did this to my Cobra w/ evap shut off, rear o2 monitors off and no egr system... Worked like a charm and now I'm good to go!!! R.I is every 2 yrs hahaha!!!

bigdog93lx

Gallons per mile
Established Member
Not really sure what I'm going to do. From everything i'm reading no Long Tubes or after market mid-pipe with or without CATS is legal. Not sure if I can request a exhaust sniffer instead or request a 1 year hardship extension. Since the cost to go back to stock will probably cost 2k with parts and labor.

A.T

Established Member
For the people that don't know yet, there is a new inspection program coming out in October. There are going to be cameras in the shop along with a handheld to document visual problems. I just might inspect mine before then.

Buckwheat 1

Established Member
For the people that don't know yet, there is a new inspection program coming out in October. There are going to be cameras in the shop along with a handheld to document visual problems. I just might inspect mine before then.
The camera has been at a lot of shops
all ready I believe. I have been going to one shop for a very long time. A camera was all ways there going back to when they had a Dyno for pollution check.

A.T

Established Member
The camera has been at a lot of shops
all ready I believe. I have been going to one shop for a very long time. A camera was all ways there going back to when they had a Dyno for pollution check.

A lot of shops say they have cameras there, to keep people out of the shop. If the shop has cameras, it's for their own use. The state hasn't had cameras in the shop before to monitor the inspections.

Buckwheat 1

Established Member
Y
A lot of shops say they have cameras there, to keep people out of the shop. If the shop has cameras, it's for their own use. The state hasn't had cameras in the shop before to monitor the inspections.
At the inspection station in Brockton the camera is right on
the inspection terminal on the computer. You may be correct.

03' White Snake

Established Member
My brother had to go to MAC a few yrs ago, they went through everything on the car. Told him it was ok to go back for inspection.... ended up fining the inspection station for passing the car with dark tint. They setup the shop to see if they would pass the car with known dark tint.

Also, bring the car to Pete after your done with the MAC center. You won't have any emissions issues during inspection anymore.

Mpoitrast87

Established Member
All about who you know, you know a shop that does inspections you're golden.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
Not true at all. I work at a dealer and my would wouldn't pass no matter what the inspector did. Every sensor needs to be working.

Mpoitrast87

Established Member
Also, for those who have gone to a MAC center. What happens if you don't get anything fixed? My car wont pass and Im deff not putting the emissions stuff back on with only a year left to go before its not required. What im afraid of is getting another rejection then going to a MAC center and having them pull my reg or something for not wanting to fix anything.

Users who are viewing this thread