2018 Dodge Challenger SRT Demon Explained

mc01svt

100% full natty brah
Established Member
However, Ford could take a current 5.0, offer a 2.9 Whipple with ID1000s and a BAP, tuned for E85 (and with upgraded half shafts), and have a 9-second capable car. Of course it would need a tire, but you could even use the factory 20s from a Premium car. I've seen it done.

its alot more complicated that taking a coyote and slapping a whipple on it for a production. There are stringent durability test requirements, NVH standards and emissions requirements.

it will be interested to see what they come up with. It definitely wont be a built coyote with a blower slapped on top.

SirShaun

Established Member
That's the problem though. Ford, at least, can match Dodge as far as the Demon goes. I'm not personally familiar with GM's offerings and their aftermarket, so that's not an argument for me to make IMO.

However, Ford could take a current 5.0, offer a 2.9 Whipple with ID1000s and a BAP, tuned for E85 (and with upgraded half shafts), and have a 9-second capable car. Of course it would need a tire, but you could even use the factory 20s from a Premium car. I've seen it done.

That's why Dodge is earning near universal praise from real car enthusiasts, because at least they're actually trying. Albeit much more expensive than it has to be, but they're doing it.

It's got a transbrake, and adjustable electronic dampers. The car bone stock goes 9s.

More work than you think has to go into a Mustang to run with a out the box Demon. You pretty much have to replace half the car. Forged motor, power adder with supporting mods, Rear End, Suspension, Driveline, Transmission. You end up at 15-20k pretty quick trying to go deep into the 9s. Sure you can crack 9's rather easy but going deep into the 9's is going to cost you. While still cheaper than a Demon, it's a real hassle, car is down for awhile, it's a lot of money out of pocket.

Pretty sure Dodge gives you everything you need to go be a stop light king, and the ability to drag anything else on the road.

Kiohtee

Established Member
Again, not knocking Dodge for doing this, because it's absolutely awesome and unrivaled (as I just argued for three or four pages), but I think you two are out of touch with just what exactly it takes to go 9s in a Coyote. It certainly doesn't require another rear end, built motor, transmission upgrade, etc. At least, not if you pick the right one to begin with.

But I'll leave the Coyote argument there since that isn't what this thread is about, and just say that Ford can and does have a platform readily available to challenge the Demon, they just don't. And it's a shame.

slow poke

Established Member
Demon -9.65 1/4 mile
Porsche 911 turbo s-10.5 1/4 mile
McLaren 720-10.3 1/4 mile

Guess Dodge's claim is true. Imagine that.

Don't know where you got 10.3 at, it ran a 10.1 on the first run. Also, it's trapping over 140mph. And that's on 93 straight from the lot. It will run sub 10sec.

Demon won't beat this car in a heads up.

Beyond that, since the Demon uses what is essentially after market parts, tune, and weight reduction to achieve hero times. Would it not be fair to allow any other car running against it to use the exact same advantage and have a race gas tune, tires, and weight reduction.

So stock Demon from the showroom no tune, tires, or weight reduction vs. any other stock car

Or Demon with aftermarket shit provided by Dodge vs. any other car with same advantage tires, race tune, and weight reduction

Car would have been a lot more bad ass if it didn't need aftermarket parts to run sub 10. They should have made it lighter and gave it 900hp on 93 from the factory. They took the easy way and just added aftermarket parts and tune.

apache driver

Established Member

Don't know where you got 10.3 at, it ran a 10.1 on the first run. Also, it's trapping over 140mph. And that's on 93 straight from the lot. It will run sub 10sec.

Beyond that, since the Demon uses what is essentially after market parts, tune, and weight reduction to achieve hero times. Would it not be fair to allow any other car running against it to use the exact same advantage and have a race gas tune, tires, and weight reduction.

So stock Demon from the showroom no tune, tires, or weight reduction vs. any other stock car

Or Demon with aftermarket shit provided by Dodge vs. any other car with same advantage tires, race tune, and weight reduction

Car would have been a lot more bad ass if it didn't need aftermarket parts to run sub 10. They should have made it lighter and gave it 900hp on 93 from the factory. They took the easy way and just added aftermarket parts and tune.

KilledbyKenne

Established Member

Stip it 'til you win it, I guess.

Zemedici

Established Member

I think you need a lesson in 'oem vs aftermarket'

The demon comes with all of that shit FROM DODGE. Making it OEM.

The wheels, you buy from dodge, not weld.

So yeah, you can put any wheels on it you want.

That are Ford OEM.

That's the point we're making. Sure you can go faster with aftermarket parts, and I'm sure you can do it cheaper. But that defeats the purpose of 'stock', doesn't it?

Kiohtee

Established Member

I don't know why you have such a hard time grasping the fact that when the Demon made its 0-60 and 1/4 mile time, it was done using 100% OEM parts. Parts that will be included or can otherwise be purchased by/from Dodge. That makes it OEM, not aftermarket. The 720S is a beast of a car. And if that's the car you continually have to lay on as a comparison to the Demon, then I'd say Dodge (with a Challenger mind you), is doing something right. I'd love for someone to compare my Ford/Chevy/Dodge to an almost $300K exotic.

Besides all of that, a company like Ferrrari/Lamborghini/McLaren probably wouldn't result to claiming their car the quickest accelerating/overall fastest anything because that's not what they're setting out to do. Kinda like how you always see a Ford/Chevy/Dodge/Honda/Kia commercial, but never anything for Aston Martin, Bentley, Ferrari, etc. They're in a market where they don't have to pander for sales.

Dodge is just straight kicking the shit out of everyone while they're down and out, or at best behind.

Go Dodge!

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member

Please leave this thread you offer no actual information. Just a bunch of jibberish and whining. The Demon is 100% from the factory and will mop the floor against that or any exotic through the 1/4.

So true.

gofast15

Established Member
Pretty sure Dodge gives you everything you need to go be a stop light king, and the ability to drag anything else on the road.

absolutely not , it will get beat pretty easy on the street by AWD cars like GTR, 911turbo ,Tesla

Kiohtee

Established Member
absolutely not , it will get beat pretty easy on the street by AWD cars like GTR, 911turbo ,Tesla

This I agree with 100%. I don't know why anyone is arguing the Demon as the king of the streets. The Demon is only at home on a well prepped track or from a 40-60 roll with its track equipment (mainly a tire).

AWD cars, especially a Tesla P85D or greater, regardless of how fast said AWD car is, has humbled and will continue to humble, much faster RWD cars on the street when traction is an issue.

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
This I agree with 100%. I don't know why anyone is arguing the Demon as the king of the streets. The Demon is only at home on a well prepped track or from a 40-60 roll with its track equipment (mainly a tire).

AWD cars, especially a Tesla P85D or greater, regardless of how fast said AWD car is, has humbled and will continue to humble, much faster RWD cars on the street when traction is an issue.

Maybe. Most of the street races I've seen the Tesla whipping ass have been 1/8th mile. The Demon has one hell of a top end charge. 140 vs low 120's. And the Tesla wasn't always stock. That goes ditto with the GTR. So stock for stock, heat the DR's it would be a tough call.

I'll never get a Demon, unless someone wants a gently used CTSV coupe and a Charger hellpussy.

Kiohtee

Established Member
Maybe. Most of the street races I've seen the Tesla whipping ass have been 1/8th mile. The Demon has one hell of a top end charge. 140 vs low 120's. And the Tesla wasn't always stock. That goes ditto with the GTR. So stock for stock, heat the DR's it would be a tough call.

I'll never get a Demon, unless someone wants a gently used CTSV coupe and a Charger hellpussy.

I'm not arguing there's nothing that will come around the Tesla, GT-R and/or 911. The 911 will be the hardest to overcome for obvious reasons; it launches and accelerates just as well as the Tesla, but has the balls to continue past 100. I mean, the GT-R does as well, but the 911 is still faster.

There is nothing you can say or do to convince me, though, that the Demon will be a stoplight king. Even fitted with the OEM track gear. A bone stock GT-R, although just as if not more expensive, will embarrass the Demon from a dig on the street.

I recently raced a 2010 GT with 530rwhp from a dig. My car as it sits now (and at the time) has just a PMAS cold air intake and Lund tune ('17 GT with 6R80). I absolutely embarrassed him because of my ability to leave with no drama. That will be the result of the Demon versus anything else, with decent power that doesn't spin, on the street.

The gap a Tesla P100D will put on anything that doesn't sixty in the 1.4-1.5 range in street trim, is literally impossible to make up within a 1/4 mile.

Kiohtee

Established Member
short stop light yes. Full 1/4 would be interesting.

I've seen this guy's P100D, in person, put a gap on some 5.5-5.8-second 1/8 cars so big they couldn't catch him, in a street race (from a dig) marked for a 1/4 mile. Namely at Street Car Takeover (the afterparty event, basically).

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOpdDZoLH9IDJ8IuNZzz2iQ

A Demon won't run 5.5-5.8 stock and if some of these guys couldn't do it, neither will it. You must live on/by some sick ass sticky roads. Lol

Kiohtee

Established Member
not stock.

Wait... What are you even arguing again? Lol

I'm talking about a Demon, dressed in track gear with the race tune and 100 octane, magically appearing beside a P100D/911 Turbo S on the streets, and racing for a marked/agreed upon distance or until it seems the race is clearly over.

I would bet, realistically, 10 out of 10 times the Demon loses in this particular scenario, which is what's being argued.

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
I've seen this guy's P100D, in person, put a gap on some 5.5-5.8-second 1/8 cars so big they couldn't catch him, in a street race (from a dig) marked for a 1/4 mile. Namely at Street Car Takeover (the afterparty event, basically).

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOpdDZoLH9IDJ8IuNZzz2iQ

A Demon won't run 5.5-5.8 stock and if some of these guys couldn't do it, neither will it. You must live on/by some sick ass sticky roads. Lol
Those roads are in YouTube.

I saw the demon commercial and thought the car is ****ing bad ass. But it is sad that cars that were built to be GT cars can beat a car who's sole purpose is to be a quick car in the 1/4 mile. It's street legal, but needs prep to do it and the road has to be decent too.

Kiohtee

Established Member
Those roads are in YouTube.

I saw the demon commercial and thought the car is ****ing bad ass. But it is sad that cars that were built to be GT cars can beat a car who's sole purpose is to be a quick car in the 1/4 mile. It's street legal, but needs prep to do it and the road has to be decent too.

What do you mean "Those roads are in YouTube?" They exist in real life too you know. And most public roads when a street race scenario is encountered, unless organized beforehand, is gonna be pretty shitty and useless from a dig.

I like the Demon and I commend Dodge for executing it. But it won't be a stoplight king like some here tend to believe.

Users who are viewing this thread