2018 MUSTANG COBRA JET CELEBRATES 50TH ANNIVERSARY OF RACING - QUICKEST MUSTANG YET

MG0h3

Established Member
I think there are some real serious liabilities in selling an 8 sec caged race car for street/public road use. AFAIK it doesn't even have airbags, but it wouldn't need them for harnessed, helmeted driver. However that isn't very practical on the street and even a minor accident could prove fatal if your head collided with the roll bar. The CJ was purpose built with drag racing as it's sole focus.

Ok figured that was it.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
I have no problem rolling to the grocery store in an 8 sec caged CJ. Lol.

I wouldn't mind either...I have thought about some creative ways to get the CJ a vin, tagged and 'legal'....In essence you would need to pull some Boyd Coddington shit and commit title fraud, use a VIN tag off another mustang etc..

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
Demon? There’s a thing called a Drag Pak, and fords got some catching up to do.

I don't think Ford has any catching up to do. The Cobra Jet runs 8s straight from the factory. Sevens and lower are just a few tweaks away at the hands of the owners. Everybody knows or should know that Ford is super conservative with their tunes. That Challenger did sound good, though!

GotHemi?

Hell Kitty Nut Swinger
Established Member
Tasca’s car isn’t NHRA legal according to the article.

Bingo

I don't think Ford has any catching up to do. The Cobra Jet runs 8s straight from the factory. Sevens and lower are just a few tweaks away at the hands of the owners. Everybody knows or should know that Ford is super conservative with their tunes. That Challenger did sound good, though!

You’re talking about modifying the cars to the point where they are no longer compliant with the rules. If im not mistaken that challenger is the first and only car to run 7’s in stock eliminator. Which includes the copos and cobra jet.

http://www.nmcadigital.com/2017/10/...a-stock-eliminator-history-on-the-cusp-of-7s/

http://www.dragzine.com/news/geoff-turk-makes-history-first-stocker-sevens/

Last edited:

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
Tasca’s car isn’t NHRA legal according to the article.

Gotcha. I thought that these cars were running much faster than advertised anyways. I thought they underrated them from the factory and they were all realistically running low 8s to high 7s.

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Challenger clearly cheated. It’s black. Absorbs more heat. Black cars are always fast. They generate an acceleration warp above 100mph where the heat leaving the surface mixes with the air the car is breaking causing a supercharging anti drag effect. Look it up, this is 10 year old news that’s been talked about hundreds of times on the internet.

Also, the mustang that ran 7.54 was clearly sand bagging. It’s a 5 second car, you can hear him peddling it at the launch

(Very insightful commentary, no bias.)

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
Demon? There’s a thing called a Drag Pak, and fords got some catching up to do.

FWIW, both the CJ and COPO have run 8.0 at 170. He just barely nosed them, which from what I read is the first time they have been on top after 9 years in it.

This new CJ will likely push that barrier further I imagine.

GNBRETT

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
kind of a silly novelty imo. its one of them cars rich dudes buy to add to their collection. there won't be any hype with a car that can't be registered. shit, even street outlaw cars have Vin#'s.......:rolleyes: and I'm betting this one isn't faster lol

Users who are viewing this thread