3.08 Gear

RichM1983

Established Member
My car has 308 gears....supposedly. The previous owner had them installed. Based on the calculations above I do believe that I do have 308's because I shift into 3rd and I'm going right above 90. Only mods are a Bassani exhaust, 2.8 pulley, CAI, and a C&L MAF. I don't like it because your flying by the time your deep into 3rd. Where I live I NEVER need to go 100+ and I'm basically doing that before I get out of second. Seems like a waste to me to have such tall gears and a 5th and 6th gear that is already over-driven. My first mod will be 410's

My car was the daily driver for its previous owner. He did a lot of interstate travel in Va so he swapped them for gas mileage I suppose.

Also...I guess if you were making 600+ horsepower it might be fun.....but I'm probably barely over 400.

Last edited:

mach1033

Established Member
My car has 308 gears....supposedly. The previous owner had them installed. Based on the calculations above I do believe that I do have 308's because I shift into 3rd and I'm going right above 90. Only mods are a Bassani exhaust, 2.8 pulley, CAI, and a C&L MAF. I don't like it because your flying by the time your deep into 3rd. Where I live I NEVER need to go 100+ and I'm basically doing that before I get out of second. Seems like a waste to me to have such tall gears and a 5th and 6th gear that is already over-driven. My first mod will be 410's

My car was the daily driver for its previous owner. He did a lot of interstate travel in Va so he swapped them for gas mileage I suppose.

Also...I guess if you were making 600+ horsepower it might be fun.....but I'm probably barely over 400.
At your power level you would be correct. Once you start getting in the mid 600's to 700 and above then thats where the tall gears would benefit us. 373's would be a nice gear for your set up. 410's and your 1st gear will be a distant memory.

mach1033

Established Member
Just dropped off my rear this morning to get the new gears installed. I stayed with the 3.55's Al. I think the 3.55 is a great all around gear.

Damn looks like it will just be me doing it then. Maybe I will go down to a 278 and go 80 mph in first :D

RichM1983

Established Member
At your power level you would be correct. Once you start getting in the mid 600's to 700 and above then thats where the tall gears would benefit us. 373's would be a nice gear for your set up. 410's and your 1st gear will be a distant memory.

Thats exactly what I'm looking for.....:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread