4.6 aluminator which oil ?

MG0h3

Established Member
Man you find one on a shelf somewhere or what?

Some builders will tell you to break in with conventional before switching to synthetic. Id probably just run the factory 5-20 blend. What I still put in mine.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Oil weight has a lot of factors including temps, conditions of the engine and very importantly bearing clearances and tolerances inside the engine. I worked with my machine shop to determine 10w30 was best for my engine in the summer based on the clearances he machined within bearing gaps etc.

Since you didn't build that engine did it come with any documentation or paper work with suggestions?

jrgoffin

Been around...
Established Member
Jrgoddin: why did you go with this weight oil ?

I went with the Shell Rotella for break-in since it has a higher level of the anti-wear additives Zinc and Phosphorus (common in diesel oil). At a minimum, a 30-weight oil is ideal for these engines, and was the norm when the modular engines came out, but a 40-weight is perfectly acceptable as well. Even with the 3V HP/HV pump, oil pressure is perfect. Being a long-time user of Mobil1 oil, I decided on the European 0W-40 since it is one of their better products.

By the way, the switch to 20-weght oil was a benefit to CAFE standards, but it works. Some reading on that subject here:

http://www.terminator-cobra.com/engine.htm#Oil_filter

nxhappy

Established Member
viscosity should be determined by outside temperatures as well.

for brand, Amsoil will be THE best. Either that, or mobil 1. For that motor I would say 10w30 or 10w40 full synthetic ... (first 500 miles run dino oil)

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Last summer was the first year running Amsoil ss 10w30. I run e85 and this helps the no e85 smell I was getting on the dip stick with royal purple hps 5w30.

Recon

Established Member
Subbed I'm interested in hearing opinions. Just bought a new 3V aluminator. I'm thinking an amsoil breaking in oil then 5W-30 Amsoil SS.

Sent from somewhere in the Twilight Zone.

nxhappy

Established Member
amsoil is the shit. I may be biased, but their lab results prove to be outstanding ....

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Last summer was the first year running Amsoil ss 10w30. I run e85 and this helps the no e85 smell I was getting on the dip stick with royal purple hps 5w30.

Every engine I've run E85 the oil stinks like E85. You're saying Amsoil ss has no E85 smell on it? That's curious.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Every engine I've run E85 the oil stinks like E85. You're saying Amsoil ss has no E85 smell on it? That's curious.

I honestly can't smell any. Maybe it's there, but very faint? I have a very good sense of smell.

hotcobra03

Established Member
Oil is big debate..

To me there are many parts that need oil..thinner I would assume is better on flow..

Than change Chang change..

Ours has many miles using basic castor 5/20 with stp oil treatment. .

Strange our tundra has dual overhead also ....uses 0/20

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
I honestly can't smell any. Maybe it's there, but very faint? I have a very good sense of smell.

I've run amsoil 530 the past two years and have no odor of ethanol at change time (and ethanol is pretty darn distinct). But, I'm not putting a lot of miles, either. Maybe 1500 miles for a year. I've run Mobil one XP 530 the other 3 years and there was an ever slight smell, but not much. The amsoil is zero odor.

Also, something strange I've noticed with amsoil versus Mobil one...I was dumping the catch can at least once a year on the Mobil one....on the amsoil hardly any accumulates at all. I didn't dump it this year, nothing in there.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I've run amsoil 530 the past two years and have no odor of ethanol at change time (and ethanol is pretty darn distinct). But, I'm not putting a lot of miles, either. Maybe 1500 miles for a year. I've run Mobil one XP 530 the other 3 years and there was an ever slight smell, but not much. The amsoil is zero odor.

Also, something strange I've noticed with amsoil versus Mobil one...I was dumping the catch can at least once a year on the Mobil one....on the amsoil hardly any accumulates at all. I didn't dump it this year, nothing in there.

With the royal purple I could smell ethanol on the stick with 700-800 miles.

Users who are viewing this thread