4.8 in the 2018 GT500 ?

SlowSVT

Established Member
I was reading Ford will be discontinuing the coyote and perhaps the voodoo engine in favor of a new 4.8 V8. This will very likely be a linerless block and the same old bore centers which is not great news for us hot rodders. If the GT500 gets this engine I bet dollars-to-doughnuts it will be twin turbo.

Anyone have something they could add to the rumor mill?

Papaw

Established Member
Somehow it just doesn't make any sense to me. An all new engine just to drop 200cc's? Same bore centers? They could just do that with the current engine.

Recon

Established Member
Hm, what about that article that was quickly taken down that said the GT500 will have the Trinity in it. Maybe with the new 2650 TVS on top?
I enjoyed reading about the possibilities, at first; but now I just want to know what's in the damn thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SlowSVT

Established Member
All speculation of course but it wouldn't surprise me. It is said that Ford will announce the 4.8 at the Detroit Auto show next month and it is slated for the Mustang and F-150 mid 2018. The FPC Voodoo engine is not ideal for boost, it's not likely they will revive the Trinity engine and the Coyote engine is slated to be discontinued which doesn't leave too many options. The 4.8 is suppose to be direct injection.

The problem with all these engine changes in recent years makes it hard for the aftermarket to justify the R&D, tooling and production of performance parts for engines with such short production runs. The days of the V8 in passenger cars are likely to be numbered me thinks the V6 will be the "norm" in performance cars in a few years.

93 347 Cobra

Established Member
Honestly, we'll have no idea until they announce. Ford has been extremely secretive lately and I think it's a good thing to maintain the competitive advantage. The Chrysler boys have been creepily obsessing about Ford's performance products lately. Mustang went blacked out tail-lights Chrysler copied for the Challenger the next model year or two. Ford releases new Raptor, Chrysler teases their own but only in a non-comital way so they can thoroughly benchmark the new Raptor first before committing to timelines. We already know Al O at GM has a hard-on for copying Ford. So much so that he had team Camaro shorten the development window for the new car by omitting redesigning the styling. He tried to rush to market to counter Ford and it's biting GM in the ass in sales.

My point being...the competitors obsess over every move Ford makes trying to copy and one-up them and this is what is driving Ford's secrecy. I don't think there will be a 4.8 in the next GT500 if it is also in the Mustang GT. The SVT top-of-the-line Mustangs have had a unique engine since 1996 and I don't see Ford deviating from that recipe. The new GT500 will have an engine we've never seen before.

snakecharmer

Established Member
I'm just happy to hear that there is some new V8 on the horizon, especially for the F150. I've been fearful they'd drop it entirely since they are pushing the ecogarbage agenda.

SlowSVT

Established Member
I'm just happy to hear that there is some new V8 on the horizon, especially for the F150. I've been fearful they'd drop it entirely since they are pushing the ecogarbage agenda.

It was announced today Ford will be releasing a hybrid Mustang in 2020. Hopefully they will pipe-in the rumble of a V8 and perhaps include the whine of a supercharger on the performance model.

blksn8k

Established Member
Perhaps the hybrid will be the GT500? Many other manufacturers have gone this same route with their top of the line sports models. How about a 4.8L four cam turbo V8 driving the rear wheels with electric motors pulling the fronts?

BTW, has Ford actually stated that the 4.8 will be an all new engine and not just a smaller version of the Coyote?

I have also read that the 4.8L will have both port and direct injection similar to the 2nd gen 3.5L EB.

Since Ford has yet to confirm that there will even be a 4.8L it looks to me like this is all just rumors based on some language in a union contract.

The same thing happened with the rumors about the Ranger and Bronco and Ford has yet to confirm that one either.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
What if the 4.8 is a short deck version of the 6.2? What if the shorter stroke makes it capable of more RPM than the 5.2? What if it is a diesel? Just speculation.

Shaker1

Walkin' on Sunshine
Established Member
Whatever they do, it will PO a bunch of enthusiasts initially.
Each successive generation of GT500 has been better than the last though.
Getting a better weigh distribution and less weight overall would be a good thing. If they can put out a vehicle that outperforms, who cares what displacement or design it is? If they can make it launch like a mofo, even better.

Seems a great deal of emphasis these days is on all-around performance, so pure HP numbers may not be the big thing it has been in the past. Maybe 707HP stock is the high water mark? It is getting kind of ridiculous. I do like the idea of the front wheels helping with traction. but that entails additional weight and complexity.

SlowSVT

Established Member
What ever they do it's likely to become less mod friendly as they are pushing the HP levels higher and higher from the factory and adding more complexity to the car. I think the 5.8 was the high water mark for the GT500 as far as displacement goes. The Terminator came out of the factory with a fairly modest level of tune as did the early GT500's, where they made huge hp numbers at a relative modest cost by anyone who can hold a wrench and engines with long production runs providing lots of sources for spare parts........ not any more! The 13/14 GT500 employed very limited and expensive block making modding a very risky proposition. Good luck finding a Trinity block or even a Voodoo 10 years from now. You can go to a junk yard and pull a 4.6 of 5.4 without any trouble. Something tells me what ever Ford comes out with in 2018 will only be in production for a few years as the engines get smaller and smaller and may eventually go hybrid as the 2020 Mustang is slated for as an option. Who knows the 2022 GT500 maybe an AWD and fully electric which for some may not necessarily be a bad thing. Who knows you may find one of these under the hood in the near future.

Ford%20DOHC%20V6_zpsqbsrpkzk.gif

I may be wrong but if current trends continue ...........

Last edited:

jshen

Established Member
I hope the new administration will relax the EPA standards and allow auto companies to build what the consumer wants.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
I was hoping they would announce something at the NAIAS this week, I'll be going Sunday.
-J

Eatonualive281

Established Member
Ecoboost v8. Makes perfect sense. They have an eco 4 and an eco 6. They are all about the ecoboost branding. Coyote just went direct injection for the new MY. The writing is on the wall. It has been the entire time. End of story.

Users who are viewing this thread