• Welcome to SVTPerformance!

400 miles / 1 year Since Last Oil Change: Do I Need to Change It For Storage

Discussion in 'The Greasy Spoon' started by ShelbyGT5HUN, Dec 7, 2017.

1. ShelbyGT5HUN

ShelbyGT5HUN Well-Known Member Established Member

Hello,

I changed my oil last November 2016, and the car sat until Spring. I only got to drive it 400 miles this year, and now it's time to mothball the car. I bought gas Jan 2017, June 2017, and just filled up Dec 1, with Shell V Power, and Sta-Bil, in preparation for Winter.

Car is a GT500, and I used Ford's synthetic oil. I do not plan on driving the car until April, so the big question is, do I need to change the oil? My thinking is change it in the Spring, so it's ready for next year, versus changing it now, when I won't be using the car. I know some oil companies recommend changing it every year, if the mileage limitation is not reached, but 400 miles seems like I'll be wasting fresh oil here.

Opinions? Thanks!

2. Zemedici

Zemedici I like jeans that sparkle Established Member

I would change it just based on time, and for some peace of mind. And oils cheap

3. SVOGT302

SVOGT302 Premium Member Premium Member

Me too....

Zemedici likes this.
  4. ShelbyGT5HUN

ShelbyGT5HUN Well-Known Member Established Member

Well the car is land locked. We got snow, and the roads are salty. Looks like I'll wait til Spring anyway. Needed to take it to the Stealership, as I cannot work on the car myself.

5. RDJ

RDJ ZERO shits given Premium Member Established Member

THIS!! I used to put my car up for 11 months of the year while I was a contractor in the sand box. First thing I did when I got home for vacation is take it in for an oil change and tire rotation

Zemedici likes this.