4th Gear Synchro Problem

Canman2531

Established Member
I switched from the 10-spline to a 26-spline input shaft when I changed my clutch. I spent a lot of time making sure the shims and end play were perfect, but now the trans grinds anytime I try to shift into 4th gear other than from a very slow speed.

I talked to Tremec--and a shop that Tremec recommended--and they both guessed it was a problem with the 4th gear synchro. As it turns out, 4th gear is right where I was messing with the input shaft, so this makes sense.

Once the transmission is out, what do I need to do (if the synchro is the problem)? Is this something I can address without taking the whole transmission apart? Can I work from just the open end where the input shaft is? What parts do you think I need to get? I’ve included a diagram from Tremec.

Thanks again everyone.

Trans%20Diagram_zps4fl4rlec.jpg

Canman2531

Established Member
When I changed input shafts, the 4th gear blocker ring did fall out. I didn't think much of it at the time, but I put it back how it fell out (I think). Should that have been able to happen? Could I have reinstalled it wrong? Would that create the problems I'm having?

Four Door SVT

Established Member
No. Everything pulls off the other end. You can replace the bearing and input tube from the end you pulled

Users who are viewing this thread