5.4 to 6.0L STROKER KIT!!

bumblebeetuna

Trade: Girlfriend for KB?
Established Member
Hello all-

I want to take the motor that I have now and build a stroker out of it. I have a 2000 L with only 21K miles. Does anyone offer a Stroker kit for these trucks? I have a guy locally that is going to do the work for me and dont really want to buy a brand new built bottem. Pros and Cons of using the Block I have? Also, I wanted this thing to be bulletproof! I-beam rods, ect... I want something that will handle up to 1000-1200 HP if I decided to throw it at it one day :rolling: Would it be cheaper to just piece together a kit or will I have to do it anyways? If so, what parts? ANY IDEAS?? Thanks guys! :pepper:

SM0KESH0W

Boostaholic
Established Member
If you are going to do it, (which I and about 29,000 other Lightning owners will recommend you not to do it) 6.0 Block and assembly Sean Hyland Motorsports $4,700 6.0 block is the only way to go if you are dead set on a 6.0. FYI, it is $5,000 for the rotating assembly. So about $10,000 on just a short block not including assembly cost. There are more reasons to why no to do this, but money alone should answer this question for you. But if you want more reasons why ask away. But to each his own, you may still want to do it.

Or you can just build the motor while using stock displacement or .20 over and have a complete motor built for less than that.

Last edited:

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
Rick at Amazon is building on for Linn I beleive. Might ping them.

OH-MAN

Established Member
I would not want to increase stroke on this motor as it is a long stroke already. It will increase displacement but I would suspect RPM to need to be about the same as a stocker.

One comment about SHM.
STAY FAR AWAY.

swiseuf

Established Member
OH-MAN said:
One comment about SHM.
STAY FAR AWAY.

Couldnt agree with you more.

You would be much better off going with a built SB/LB from one of the the big dawgs, and topping it with a KB or Whipple(if it ever comes out). You could put together a solid, tried and true performer for the cost of an assembled 6.0 short block. You can always sell the stock motor to recoup some of the cost if its still in running condition.

PearlBlue L

Still Around
Established Member
JLP could tell you alot about strokers for the lightning. he has a few customers that use them as their DD's.

SVTFREEK

- GOT BOOST? -
Established Member
SM0KESH0W said:
If you are going to do it, (which I and about 29,000 other Lightning owners will recommend you not to do it) 6.0 Block and assembly Sean Hyland Motorsports $4,700 6.0 block is the only way to go if you are dead set on a 6.0. FYI, it is $5,000 for the rotating assembly. So about $10,000 on just a short block not including assembly cost. There are more reasons to why no to do this, but money alone should answer this question for you. But if you want more reasons why ask away. But to each his own, you may still want to do it.

Or you can just build the motor while using stock displacement or .20 over and have a complete motor built for less than that.
:thumbsup:

bumblebeetuna

Established Member
The problem I have is after you buy the built SB from JLP or JDM, you are stuck with the original SB. Would it not be wise to just use the SB I have and rebuild it to be like a JLp or JDM SB? I want a really really stout block that can handle a hell of a lot of power. Mabey not stroke but .10 or .20 over to just warm it up? Whos components and where do I find them? Pistons? Crank? Rods?(billet I-beam?) Rings?

SM0KESH0W

Boostaholic
Established Member
We are not saying to use the original parts of the shortblock, just use the block.

Buy a complete billet bottom end and you can handle around 1000 rwhp. Most of the other "built" bottom ends from these companies only go to 800 rwhp or so. 200 hp does not sould like much. But at that level of hp, and cost involved you would kick yourself daily if you made 810 rwhp and had to start all over again. To each his own, but if you are trully setting out to make 1000 rwhp or more. You will spend at least $10,000 on getting that done. And that is being conservative.

bumblebeetuna

Established Member
Is there any reason why someone would use a 2004 block over a 2000 block to rebuild?

Does anyone make a rebuild kit that is close to what I am asking for? Most rebuild kist use Manley H-beam rods. I need I-beam. Is this the only thing I would need to change in say the JDM re-build kit? or would I need better pistons, crank, rings?

10,000$ involved in the whole motor or just the SB? I have been looking at the Patriot Performance Stage III for my cylinder heads (1500-2000), a KB(3000) for my charger, and probably a NX 75-125 shot (1200). In all that I think that 10,000-12,000 is a realistic number for a complete motor.

SVTFREEK

- GOT BOOST? -
Established Member
Im not revealing my setup yet but, just my short block is running me at least 12k -15k. :thumbsup:

PearlBlue L

Still Around
Established Member
i spent $8400 on a built engine, labor, dyno tuned and drove out the door from jlp.

i had all new oil components(pan, dip stick, tube, ect...), stage 2 cams, ported heads, cp pistons, h-beam rods, maf entender, new denso it-22 plugs, plus more.

you might want to seriously just give him a call and tell him what you want and see how much he would charge for everything just so you can have a price range to judge everything from.

MonkeysL

Established Member
00Slvrblt said:
The problem I have is after you buy the built SB from JLP or JDM, you are stuck with the original SB. Would it not be wise to just use the SB I have and rebuild it to be like a JLp or JDM SB? I want a really really stout block that can handle a hell of a lot of power. Mabey not stroke but .10 or .20 over to just warm it up? Whos components and where do I find them? Pistons? Crank? Rods?(billet I-beam?) Rings?

send ur stock SB to johnny and he'll give you a core exchange PLUS he'll use all of ur current timing setup and odd'n'ends to save u money and u'll have a great motor. OR sell ur SB to someone on the boards

SM0KESH0W

Boostaholic
Established Member
The only reason I know of why you would want a 2004 block over a 2000 block would be you can still find 2004 blocks with 0 miles on then and you would not have to pay for them to be machined. But if you are going with a stroker kit, you are paying for it anyways..

For the 1000 rwhp you or more that you are trying to achieve, you will not be able to do it on a stock blower nor do I think that it can be done with a KB. If and when (if ever) Whipple comes out with a 3.3 L blower. Add on a $5000-6000 for that. Also for those numbers a stage 2 port and polish head will not cut it. A full race port is the only option. $2,000+ on heads now... Stage 3 cams $800+ Now you are at roughly $20,000

If you are not set on using a supercharger, I would just buy a navi motor and turbo it and you could achieve that 1000 Hp that you are looking to achieve for a lot less money. But to each his own.

I could be off on some of this.. but I am pretty close on most of it...

bumblebeetuna

Established Member
I dont think I am going to stroke it. Just "warm" up the cylinders. I dont want 1000rwhp. I want at the most 800. on the street I want to have around 600-650. A KB will do that with a shot of NX to help it out on the race tune to achieve 800 or more. I have an e-mail into Patriot to see about their stage III heads and cams.

Correct me if Im wrong, the weak link in all the motors are the Rods. The Manley H-beam rods that JLP,JDM,ect use are better but not the best? If I where to send my block to JLP and had him go .20 over with his pistons, rings, crank, bearings, ect and then sent him some Billet I-beam rods instead of what he uses, would that work or would he have to use better components then what he normally uses?

Cooter

Established Member
do yourself a favor and stay away from patriot, spend a little extra and get a whole lot more, ive heard good things about fox lake dont know 1st hand, but i do know 1st hand about patriot

cooter

bumblebeetuna

Established Member
What about Patriot? I heard of a few issues with Patriot but I have heard they have since then got them resolved. Whats the first hand account?

SVTFREEK

- GOT BOOST? -
Established Member
Call Dante, Dantes Modular Performance (619-701-3716) :rockon: . He'll build you a block with any internals you want, and his heads and custom grind cams are the best, ask Jody and his 621RWHP Lightning, he went with Billet rods.

Hes building my top seceret engine :burnout:

IEatGt's

FormerGarageQueenPro
Established Member
00Slvrblt said:
I dont think I am going to stroke it. Just "warm" up the cylinders. I dont want 1000rwhp. I want at the most 800. on the street I want to have around 600-650. A KB will do that with a shot of NX to help it out on the race tune to achieve 800 or more. I have an e-mail into Patriot to see about their stage III heads and cams.

Correct me if Im wrong, the weak link in all the motors are the Rods. The Manley H-beam rods that JLP,JDM,ect use are better but not the best? If I where to send my block to JLP and had him go .20 over with his pistons, rings, crank, bearings, ect and then sent him some Billet I-beam rods instead of what he uses, would that work or would he have to use better components then what he normally uses?

I thought that H beam rods were stronger than I beams :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread