5 speed 2V - gears question

SVT69

nWo 4 Life
Established Member
I recently got a hold of a 03 cobra IRS. I have a 03 GT that I will be swapping the IRS into. I currently have 4.10s and it annoys me on the highway. I was always planning to go down to 3.73 whenever the opportunity presented itself. Well, now I have the IRS which comes with 3.55's stock. My question is would it be worth it to swap the 3.55 to 3.73? It will cost me $600-$700 for the gear swap and I'm leaning towards the idea that it won't be that much of a difference to justify the cost? I plan to throw a Vortech blower on it aswell.

You guys help is appreciated!

scottydsntknow

Established Member
Nope, put the money towards tearing all that 15 year old rubber out of there and replacing with FTBR stuff. I just got an IRS and omg the original rubber and the cross links were absolutely f*cked.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
If you're doing a lot of highway, definitely keep the 3.55. 3.73's would be nice, but if you are just commuting/ driving around 99% of the time, its not worth it. The money could be much better off spent elsewhere in the car.

Cody4V

Established Member
If you're doing a lot of highway, definitely keep the 3.55. 3.73's would be nice, but if you are just commuting/ driving around 99% of the time, its not worth it. The money could be much better off spent elsewhere in the car.
The 373 gear is still street able and really allows the motor to show you it's true potential. If you can pull some a car link in the 60' chances are they won't catch in the 1/4.thats what the gear is for.

Sent from my [device_name] using the svtperformance.com mobile app

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Keep the 3.55. Theyll be fine. As stated do the Full tilt kit and add some power. The irs with 3.55 will make your gt feel slower.

scottydsntknow

Established Member
Lol I still have the 3.27s in my IRS but I'm waiting till the car gets over to me (we are moving to Europe) in a month and then see what my driving environment is over there. Beauty of the IRS is that you can just get a pumpkin already done with the gears you want shipped to you and swap it out in a few hours.

I will say making a 6500rpm pull to 110mph in 3rd is fun lol.

Users who are viewing this thread