6.2 F-150 vs Ecoboost F150

CanuckSnake

Established Member
Sure Ecoboost is good now but wait until warranty ends in a few years and guys have to replace $2000-3000???? turbos. I'll take a big V8 any day.

ScottinSSMD

gotta 996TT too!
Established Member
I love my eb. Quick response, fun to drive and the fx4 interior is top notch. Only moss the growl of the v8, but that's what the gt500 is for.

Kellyo77

keep calm and chive on!
Established Member
I love my eb. Quick response, fun to drive and the fx4 interior is top notch. Only moss the growl of the v8, but that's what the gt500 is for.

Agree. I really am happy with my EB F150. Tons of power. It gets no where near what the advertised mileage is though. I get 15mpg mixed driving. And I drive like an old man.

19935.slow

Established Member
2011 Ford EcoBoost F-150 picks up 90rwhp with Fastlane's tuning - YouTube

90rwhp with Tune and downpipe from Fastlane on the ecoboost.

Pretty sure that truck ran like a complete turd after the tune at the track.

I go with my friend in his eco truck on road trips all the time. Get's 21 mpg's on the highways and about 19 in the city. Truck is compy, has tons of leg room, and awesome for long mile trips.

As far as the race I don't know why people are mentioning spool. It's to tiny stock turbos. If you sneeze on the gas pedal they are at full spool.

Rick88LX

Established Member
I've got 6200 miles on my '11 Supercrew EB 4x4 (3.55 gears and 33" BFGs) and I get about 14-14.5mpg with 100% city driving and 17-20.5mpg with 100% highway driving (depending on speed/conditions). The electronic throttle is very sensitive to input and you can very easily kill your fuel economy with an agressive right foot. Using cruise control a lot really seems to help as well (and keeping your speed down).

Towing-wise, my buddy has the same truck and he's towed a 26' enclosed trailer with a 2012 Boss in it 350 miles each way and got 10.9mpg one way and 10.6mpg the other. It does a very good job with the trailer (as good as any gas powertrain I've seen), but still isn't like a diesel.

Dusten

Established Member
I love the ecoboost, but I still thiink I'd get the 6.2. 6.2 with a whipple=bad a$$ Does anyone have any real world towing fuel economy on the two?
My 3.5 Ecoboost towed my lightning over two different mountain passes and averaged 12.6mpg on the total trip, but when doing 65 on flatish ground i was seeing 13.2mpg.

My brother has an ecoboost with a Bully dog tuner ( tuner only) it added 40 hp and 55 ft lbs, 87 octane tune, it's a ton of fun. It's a super nice truck, v good milage and quick.
thats the first tuner i've seen, even Livernois told me they haven't got the tune down just yet.

IMO - Give me a 2500HD Duramax Diesel, its great on gas and hauls ass plus can pull 18K :banana::banana:

PICT2105-2.jpg
and the added maintenance and fuel costs that are almost .70 a gallon where i live, no thanks.
I had a diesel, and got rid of it.

Comparing a $60k truck to a $38,000 is not particularly accurate
Mine stickered at 48k

This is going to make all of the EGOboost guys on the F150 forums cry.:poke:
Both are going to respond well to intake and tune. Ford really has the drive by wire jacked up on the stock 6.2L tune. The throttle blade is only allowed to fully open at rpms over 4500. Tuners can fix this and make them A LOT more responsive.
Not really, this is the first test i've seen where the 6.2 beat the ecoboost. But for a motor almost twice the size and with 51 more hp, it should be faster.

Here is a quote from pickuptrucks.com
The only opportunity Ford gave us to drive the 6.2 was in a drag-racing scenario with the F-150 Harley-Davidson truck, where we measured a zero to 60 mph time of 7.15 seconds – three-tenths of a second slower than the EcoBoost-powered F-150 FX2.

2011 Ford EcoBoost F-150 picks up 90rwhp with Fastlane's tuning - YouTube

90rwhp with Tune and downpipe from Fastlane on the ecoboost.
it ran 14.4 with and without the tune... fastlane didnt do shit there.

Sure Ecoboost is good now but wait until warranty ends in a few years and guys have to replace $2000-3000???? turbos. I'll take a big V8 any day.
you mean like diesel trucks do? People bitch and and moan, a 6 cyl isn't made to work, turbo's are terrible with towing, direct injection is stupid.

But 6 cyl direct injection turbo diesels have been around for how long? Grow up...
Pretty sure that truck ran like a complete turd after the tune at the track.

I go with my friend in his eco truck on road trips all the time. Get's 21 mpg's on the highways and about 19 in the city. Truck is compy, has tons of leg room, and awesome for long mile trips.

As far as the race I don't know why people are mentioning spool. It's to tiny stock turbos. If you sneeze on the gas pedal they are at full spool.
Its not lag most people feel, its the drive by wire not letting you slam the throttle open, the new diesels are the same way

R1Lello

Established Member
I'll keep my dinosaur 2007 FX2 4 door 5.4L - It's paid for !!! and I live close to work so who cares about milege, and it's trouble free to date.
NewBoss22s006.jpg

Last edited:

PROCHRGD01

Established Member
Not really, this is the first test i've seen where the 6.2 beat the ecoboost. But for a motor almost twice the size and with 51 more hp, it should be faster.
Then you haven't been on the F150 forums much. The EGOboost guys get their butts hurt if someone says their truck is not as fast as a 6.2L. This is the first video I've see where the trucks were comparable (both SCREW and 4x4). Comparing a all wheel drive Harley to a FX2 is not comparable. Good try!

BIG LUV

Established Member
I'll keep my dinosaur 2007 FX2 4 door 5.4L - It's paid for !!! and I live close to work so who cares about milege, and it's trouble free to date.
NewBoss22s006.jpg

After 70,000 miles they have tons of problems. I have spent over $7k on my '06 in the last 2 years on new coils, plugs, alternator, and electrical issues. I have 110k miles on it and just ordered a new '12 Lariat 4x4 with the 6.2.

R1Lello

Established Member
After 70,000 miles they have tons of problems. I have spent over $7k on my '06 in the last 2 years on new coils, plugs, alternator, and electrical issues. I have 110k miles on it and just ordered a new '12 Lariat 4x4 with the 6.2.

Oh please.........I'll be sure to post my problems when I reach 70,001. C'mon, you think they are all programmed at the plant to give problems at 70K ? what kind of statement is that? I know someone with a 5.4 F150 with 252,000 kms........no problems but needing tires. Not being smart but bottom line, EVERY manufacturer has a service dept.....even Porche and Lambo's. Good luck with your '12 but don't for a minute tell yourself it will be problem free.

SVTPete83

Established Member
I had an 04 4wd lariat and put 110000 on it. Not one problem with it with the exception of a rear sliding window motor going out at 14k. It was the most reliable vehicle I ever owned. 70k... Ok...

CanuckSnake

Established Member
My 3.5 Ecoboost towed my lightning over two different mountain passes and averaged 12.6mpg on the total trip, but when doing 65 on flatish ground i was seeing 13.2mpg.

thats the first tuner i've seen, even Livernois told me they haven't got the tune down just yet.

and the added maintenance and fuel costs that are almost .70 a gallon where i live, no thanks.
I had a diesel, and got rid of it.

Mine stickered at 48k

Here is a quote from pickuptrucks.com

it ran 14.4 with and without the tune... fastlane didnt do shit there.

you mean like diesel trucks do? People bitch and and moan, a 6 cyl isn't made to work, turbo's are terrible with towing, direct injection is stupid.

But 6 cyl direct injection turbo diesels have been around for how long? Grow up...

Its not lag most people feel, its the drive by wire not letting you slam the throttle open, the new diesels are the same way

If you think your going to get the same kind of reliability(especially after 160,000 miles) out of your Ecoboost than you would a cummins you got another thing coming. Its a wimpy gas engine compared to an industrial inline 6 that was built and designed for a life of work:bash:

BIG LUV

Established Member
Oh please.........I'll be sure to post my problems when I reach 70,001. C'mon, you think they are all programmed at the plant to give problems at 70K ? what kind of statement is that? I know someone with a 5.4 F150 with 252,000 kms........no problems but needing tires. Not being smart but bottom line, EVERY manufacturer has a service dept.....even Porche and Lambo's. Good luck with your '12 but don't for a minute tell yourself it will be problem free.

I was not trying to be negative, I love my truck. That is why I spent he money to fix it out of warranty, but I have several friends with the same trucks and all have had similar issues to mine once they crossed the 70k mile mark. I'm not saying that at 70,001 you'll have problems, every truck is different. Ford did have issues with coil packs and spark plugs snapping off in the heads in the 5.4's. I'm buying another Ford so obviously I'm a fan.

Dusten

Established Member
If you think your going to get the same kind of reliability(especially after 160,000 miles) out of your Ecoboost than you would a cummins you got another thing coming. Its a wimpy gas engine compared to an industrial inline 6 that was built and designed for a life of work:bash:

I don't plan on owning it outside warranty, so why would I care? My last 3 new vehicles have all fine away before 50k miles but yes, I believe the ecoboost will be extremely reliable to 150k. There are no reason to indicate otherwise.

Users who are viewing this thread