6.2 F-150 vs Ecoboost F150

ITS STOCK

Established Member
ford master tech here.

eb has some issues already. front timing covers leeking, vct sticking, on and on. front trans pump seal leeking, burns up trans. some is to be expected. most complain about loud engine noise due to the injectors firing off at 2,000 psi.

so far no 5.0's or 6.2's i have seen in the shop for any engine issues.

also, i would never own a 5.4 3v way too many problems with them, most are due to lack of maintence though. same with 6.0's

SVTORANGE

Established Member
Diesels are fly by wire, I have no throttle body at all.

But i must agree it is BS that Diesel Gas cost more than premium fuel, it is ridiculous BUT I love my truck and would not trade it for gas at this point. Unless they come out with a Denalli with a blown 427 Vette motor:beer:

Boss002

Established Member
That was actually closer than I thought for a stock to stock comparison...

But hands down if they were both tuned the eco boost world rock its world in a race...

Mach828

Established Member
What gears did each truck have? I'm surprised no one has brought that up. It is a huge factor in whether or not this race is a good comparison.

mc01svt

100% full natty brah
Established Member
Diesels are fly by wire, I have no throttle body at all.

But i must agree it is BS that Diesel Gas cost more than premium fuel, it is ridiculous BUT I love my truck and would not trade it for gas at this point. Unless they come out with a Denalli with a blown 427 Vette motor:beer:

actually some of them do. Its used as a restriction to pull in egr even though the engine is under boost.

mc01svt

100% full natty brah
Established Member
That was actually closer than I thought for a stock to stock comparison...

But hands down if they were both tuned the eco boost world rock its world in a race...

there isn't a single tune/exhaust/cai out for ecoboost that produces verifiable significant gains in the quarter mile or dyno.

the bullydog is said to "feel faster" but no time slips yet or dyno numbers.

the fastlane tune was proven to be complete :bs:

5.0 trucks with bolt-ons are already in the 13s and getting similar mileage to eco trucks.

Last edited:

mc01svt

100% full natty brah
Established Member
Then you haven't been on the F150 forums much. The EGOboost guys get their butts hurt if someone says their truck is not as fast as a 6.2L. This is the first video I've see where the trucks were comparable (both SCREW and 4x4). Comparing a all wheel drive Harley to a FX2 is not comparable. Good try!

a supercab FX2 with 6.2L, 3.73s and 18in wheels would be in the 13s stock. Unfortunately ford only offers the 6.2 in the $50,000 niche trucks (raptor, lariat limited, platinum and harley). :nonono:

JPKII

Established Member
Single Barrel Sirs
For the price of the Eco I would have expected a significant improvement in gas mileage. IMHO, another failed experiment of trying to get everyone to buy into this "green" technology which, again IMHO, is nothing more than a marketing ploy.

My 2011 Tundra with the 5.7L, 4wd, crewmax at 6320 lbs (with me in it) and a 3" leveling kit on the front averages 17.3 MPG with a near even mix of highway and surface streets. On long highway runs I'll touch 18 MPG regularly. Aside from leveling kit it's stock down to the filter.

konradr

Ford Mustang
Established Member
I am not a big fan of the Econo boost engines. I think that all the recalls on them will be their demise.

Dusten

Established Member
For the price of the Eco I would have expected a significant improvement in gas mileage. IMHO, another failed experiment of trying to get everyone to buy into this "green" technology which, again IMHO, is nothing more than a marketing ploy.

My 2011 Tundra with the 5.7L, 4wd, crewmax at 6320 lbs (with me in it) and a 3" leveling kit on the front averages 17.3 MPG with a near even mix of highway and surface streets. On long highway runs I'll touch 18 MPG regularly. Aside from leveling kit it's stock down to the filter.
So your mileage is worse, and you can't tow as much, but yours is better?

I am not a big fan of the Econo boost engines. I think that all the recalls on them will be their demise.
What recalls? I've had mine a year, i have 21000 miles and have had zero recalls. ITs been to the dealer twice for a door rattle and a weird downshift that a reflash fixed.

My94GT

Established Member
really interested to keep reading these reviews as ill be buying either an eco boost or a new tundra in the next few months. i can say ive driven both trucks and like both of them so far, both will fill my needs. i think in the end it may come down to price im offered for either truck.

19935.slow

Established Member
there isn't a single tune/exhaust/cai out for ecoboost that produces verifiable significant gains in the quarter mile or dyno.

the bullydog is said to "feel faster" but no time slips yet or dyno numbers.

the fastlane tune was proven to be complete :bs:

5.0 trucks with bolt-ons are already in the 13s and getting similar mileage to eco trucks.

Said earlier my friends ran high 14's stock and a 14.2 with a filter, stock intake set up, and a muffler, stock pipes before the muffler; it just dumps after the muffler. More than half a second is great gains for the little money in mods.

mc01svt

100% full natty brah
Established Member
Said earlier my friends ran high 14's stock and a 14.2 with a filter, stock intake set up, and a muffler, stock pipes before the muffler; it just dumps after the muffler. More than half a second is great gains for the little money in mods.

so he gained 50+ hp with a filter and stock muffler? :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread