'69 Mustang- Front Rotor Bolt Pattern WTF

CV355

_
Established Member
I was looking at getting wheels and tires for my '69 Mach 1 and noticed that the front bolt pattern is 4.75"x5 instead of 4.5"x5

I assume this is just a front rotor change to get back to 4.5"x5? Rotors, bearing, etc?

Any idea why the front would be 4.75x5?

PaxtonShelby

iamdrab
Established Member
Stock the car would have been 5 x 4 1/2. Either someone put truck rotors and wheels ( and axles in the rear ) on the car or you are measuring wrong.

hotboy1966

Established Member
I was looking at getting wheels and tires for my '69 Mach 1 and noticed that the front bolt pattern is 4.75"x5 instead of 4.5"x5

I assume this is just a front rotor change to get back to 4.5"x5? Rotors, bearing, etc?

Any idea why the front would be 4.75x5?
sounds like somebody swapped on Chevy rotors? Perhaps you have aftermarket disc brake system?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

CV355

_
Established Member
sounds like somebody swapped on Chevy rotors? Perhaps you have aftermarket disc brake system?

It looks like the disc brake system (rotors aside) is stock.

Stock the car would have been 5 x 4 1/2. Either someone put truck rotors and wheels ( and axles in the rear ) on the car or you are measuring wrong.

Front even has 4.75x5 stamped on the wheel. No idea what the heck happened there. It almost looks like the wheel was machined to have slots in the bolt pattern.

Rear is definitely 4.5x5.

I guess I'll tear the rotors out, swap new ones in and see if there is any interference with the calipers. I was told by the previous owner that the spindles were never touched. Just surprised that the shoulder / bearing journal would be the same for a Ford and Chevy rotor...

Attachments

• IMG_1637.JPG
    IMG_1637.JPG
    284.9 KB · Views: 358
Last edited:

CV355

_
Established Member
*Update*

Thankfully the car had original FoMoCo spindles and calipers on it. GM front rotors. Why, no idea.

Ordered a Wilwood front brake kit to replace all that crap anyways. I should just create one thread for the build/rebuild/resto progress. At least it's getting somewhere now that I have a relatively normal work schedule.

CV355

_
Established Member
Well that’s a win! Get ready - the restomod gods will get you next time!

It's getting there... 80% original, 20% resto-mod thing going on right now. Nice little tasteful blend in my opinion.

I tore everything down to the spindles, which have to be machined. The rotors were indeed GM. Everything else was FoMoCo. Weird. I'd say someone just wanted to run GM wheels, which would explain the dual bolt pattern on the rear wheels.

Like, this is the end, Scoob!

Users who are viewing this thread