6R80 swap

Status
Not open for further replies.

Max97COBRAtkd

Established Member
Awesome! I've personally had two auto cobras, one a 4r70w in a twin turbo 01 and one a 4r75w 03 single turbo Cobra. First one used a Baumann Engineering "Baumannator" controller for auto shifting and you could program the u and down shifts to the cruise control buttons. Never used it though.

Really liking the idea of using the AMG paddles as they look great too! This has really peaked my interest.... I may even be able to do this for not much out of pocket by selling all my manual stuff.

Sent from my Pixel using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Max97COBRAtkd

Established Member
I know it sounds good in theory but having gone down that road myself that is not the case.

--Joe
Not sure on the 6R80 swap but I came out even on my last auto swap. It was a built mvb 4R75W with converter, Hurst shifter, trans cooler, lines, etc. It just didn't have a brake. Traded my T56 (26 spline input), single disk clutch, driveshaft, etc. Did everything in my single car garage on jack stands.

If I were to swap this one with a 6R80, I would expect to pay a little bit because I would want the ability to paddle shift and would buy the converter new most likely. But my current setup is a T56, w/26 spline, RXT, and carbon fiber driveshaft. You save a lot when you do it yourself and you look for deals.

Soap

Established Member
Did you buy the 4R/converter used? If so, then that makes a lot more sense. Buying stuff used saves 50%.

--Joe

Max97COBRAtkd

Established Member
Did you buy the 4R/converter used? If so, then that makes a lot more sense. Buying stuff used saves 50%.

--Joe
I did, had it refreshed with new clutches too before install. It was a great trans, first track pass at 550rwhp and a KB 2.2L was 10.6 @ 127. This was on a 17" wheel and M/T ET Streets drag radials (sra car). Current car will remain IRS.

stangfreak

Established Member
Just spoke to mustang magic today. Going to go over the build with them.

Rambro

Established Member
Just spoke to mustang magic today. Going to go over the build with them.
Yes do it! 2.9 plus a bad arse 6r80 will be soo nice. You will probay fall in love with the car all over again. You planning on using stock converter or are you wanting a more racy setup? Ive read even a bone stock 6r80 is pretty stout and the factory converter is decent too, dont know first hand though.

stangfreak

Established Member
The stock 6R is stout. I think once they hit 800rwhp it starts to get iffy. I may just end up getting a built one from PBH. Mike and I are going over everything. He is doing the build as well.

The converter we have in mind is the circle D 3200 -3400 stall. I am basically getting all the stuff from power by the hour and BCA. Those two places have everything.

Mustang magic just did a 6R swap on a GT500

The T56 is cool and all. I get it. But I have owned this car since 03. Im tired of the T56. The clutch. adjust this, that, break in miles. I can't anymore. Plus the car will be stupid fast.

Also getting an e85 tune on 25lbs. Bone stock motor.

saturday when I went to talk about the swap, my buddy was there with his terminator swapped twin turbo notchback. 6 speed. He is trying to break the 6 speed 1/4 mile mustang record. That car has pass upon passes upon passes. BONE STOCK untouched 03 cobra motor and it makes way over 1000rwhp. These motors can take a beating. BAD ASS motor, with a 6R swap? Yea.

vrt03cobra

Drive it Like U STOLE IT
Established Member
I finally have all my parts for the swap. I will be starting this weekend. Ill try to take pics and notes. I will be using 13 f150 2wd 6r80, usshift bauman controller. Should be fun.

Nice, please report back with progress and pictures.

Michael Plackis

Established Member
I should be getting the controller and trans mount next week so it’ll be going in very soon for me as well.
Excited to see how this goes and to share it with all of you.
Paulstang347 definitely post some pics

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Michael Plackis

Established Member
I finally have all my parts for the swap. I will be starting this weekend. Ill try to take pics and notes. I will be using 13 f150 2wd 6r80, usshift bauman controller. Should be fun.

Out of curiosity what are you doing for a shifter and to control gears? Paddles or buttons?

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

paulstang347

Established Member
Im going to be using the B&M shifter made for our year cars. I have an adapter to use the 4r70 cable on the trans. Im trying to not cut the car up if possible.I havent decided if i am going to attempt paddles or just use buttons. I will start a new thread once i get going to track progress.

Intervention302

Established Member
I'm going to strongly consider this when my stock T56 dies (minus RXT and 26spline)

stangfreak

Established Member
I spoke to mike today and he has parts coming in.

I may be ordering all the parts in two weeks. I have to call BCA to get the kit that installs the 99 -04 shifter on a 6R.

Michael Plackis

Established Member
Got my trans controller yesterday. It’s a really nice piece
The attention to detail is incredible. Each wire has its use printed right in the wire insulation.
USSHIFT left little to be desired with these things
IMG_9400.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread