6R80 swap

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael Plackis

Established Member
I’m waiting on my crossmember and driveshaft but I should be installing in about 2 weeks.
Very excited and I flipped through the instructions again and it is fairly easy. I’m just trying to decide where I want to put the controller itself. I know you put yours in the glove box but I am trying to think of a decent location where it’s still in sight

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

paulstang347

Established Member
I agree. Ill be courious to see where you mount yours. I will prolly want to see mine at all times as well. Or mount up the labtop and use data log to watch.

Michael Plackis

Established Member
I have a few ideas I just have to get in the car and see. When I spoke with USSHIFT they said they’re working on a gear indicator as well. Once that’s available I won’t need to see it anymore but until then the controller will have to be used to see what gear you’re in. It will also show trans temp and multiple other gauges you can change in the programming

Will.i.am

For the flexplate I found a coyote SFI one should be good. Trans cooler can come from a newer mustang or aftermarket and PBH sells a kit to use AN fittings from the trans to the cooler.
And I got the driveshaft with measurements from someone who has a 6R80 in a new edge behind a 2v. I should have the trans in by end of May and I’ll have a lot more of the smaller details worked out by then. There’s a few things I haven’t figured out yet. I only need the controller and crossmember before I have it in the car. I’m not sure if I’m allowed to link another forum on here but there’s another very informative one. If I’m allowed to link it I will but if not just PM me and I’ll send you a link to it. They put it in a 3v but it still has a lot of info about tuning it

Can you share the driveshaft measurement you have, hate to get mine all together then wait another month for a driveshaft..

Michael Plackis

Established Member
So from paulstang347 we learned you can just use an 11-14 manual one piece driveshaft. Ford racing part # M-4602-MGTM. Driveshaft shop also carries one but the ford racing one should be sufficient and its aluminum as well. I was very happy to hear that as it will save people a lot of time and money. I actually got a message from driveshaft shop that they’re having a shortage of 3.5” ds tubing so all I have left to order is the driveshaft and I’ll be ordering the 11-14 one piece as well

Will.i.am

So from paulstang347 we learned you can just use an 11-14 manual one piece driveshaft. Ford racing part # M-4602-MGTM. Driveshaft shop also carries one but the ford racing one should be sufficient and its aluminum as well. I was very happy to hear that as it will save people a lot of time and money. I actually got a message from driveshaft shop that they’re having a shortage of 3.5” ds tubing so all I have left to order is the driveshaft and I’ll be ordering the 11-14 one piece as well

Cool thanks for the Info!

andrewrj

Established Member
You guys are my heros. Just picked up my 6r80 and started buying parts. You posted up that driveshaft just in time! Thanks. Any vendors on here sell that Ford racing shaft?

Michael Plackis

Established Member
I’m not sure. I think there’s one dealership but I forget the name. I got them from one of my local ones and they do 30% off. Idk how far away you are but they also ship. Honestly your best bet is American muscle with the forum coupon because they have free shipping

paulstang347

Established Member
Google the shaft part number and there is a ford dealer Don Wood thats selling them below 600. Thats where i got mine. Super fast shipping as well.

Midnight_Cobra

It's an Atomic Serpent!
Established Member
Just installed mine. Very straight forward and easy to do. Got all my wires right at computer.

How'd you splice into them, clamshell connector?
I'm gathering information on this swap for now, but I'm interested. I'd rather de-pin the ECU and redo the connection so I don't botch the original wiring.

Michael Plackis

Established Member
For anyone who wants to use an F150 trans PBH sells both brackets needed to use a truck trans with a stock shifter. $90 for both and saves a bunch of time fabbing up your own

holiks03cobra

Established Member
I'm gonna be doing this swap and was wondering if anyone has part #'s for things like; flexplate and bolts, plate that goes between the motor and trans, bolts for trans to motor, shifter cable, etc? Just want to make sure I get the right parts. I will be using a trans from a 13 f150 5.0

Michael Plackis

Established Member
Sorry haven’t been here in a while.
The part numbers are:
DriveShaft: M-4602-MGMT
Flexplate: M-6375-A50C
Backing Plate:AC3Z7007A
The backing plate is the thing that goes between the trans and motor. I think ford calls it the flexplate spacer or something weird but that’s the part number. For the driveshaft and flexplate you should just order it from American muscle with the forum discount code. It worked out cheaper for me than from the dealer

Michael Plackis

Established Member
Oh and I have everything coming this week and it’ll be going to the shop this weekend or Monday next week to be installed. So I should have the car back and running by next weekend

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread