6r80 w/3.73 gears 5th gear lockout at WOT?

mnblk5.0

Established Member
when i go to the track and im running WOT my car tops out at 127-130mph.

I have a tune set up for the gear, and have the 3.73 rear gear. I'd like to go faster but it hits redline and just bounces off the rev limit and stops pulling. my rpms look to be at about 6800-7100k or so. (hard to tell as i dont want to keep my eyes on the gauges at that speed)

im pretty sure im in 4th gear? 27in tall tire too. according to rpm and speed calculators. and the car seems to not want to shift into 5th. I can get into 5th and 6th during normal driving on highway just fine.

i really am at the track doing this not doing this on public roads, i go to brainerd intl raceway with a 1 mile long front stretch.

i guess my question is can anyone with an auto and 3.73 gears get the car to shift into 5th at WOT or does it lock you out? also im not pushing that hill descent button on the side of the shifter either.

bunits19714

Established Member
did you consult your tuner to see if he has it so it wont shift into 5th at wot.? and why in the hell do you have 3.73 with a auto (6r80) anyways. unless you 1/8 mile race there is no need for 3.73 gears, and then with a proper converter there is no reason for 3.73 gears.

mnblk5.0

Established Member
the 1/4 mile racing is not my thing. it pulls hard on the track, (road course), I like roll racing and I know im never going to go FI so gears it was. anyway tuner says that there is no reason it shouldn't go into 5th I guess im stumped as to why?

bottle fed 14

Established Member

I have a tune set up for the gear, and have the 3.73 rear gear. I'd like to go faster but it hits redline and just bounces off the rev limit and stops pulling. my rpms look to be at about 6800-7100k or so. (hard to tell as i dont want to keep my eyes on the gauges at that speed)

im pretty sure im in 4th gear? 27in tall tire too. according to rpm and speed calculators. and the car seems to not want to shift into 5th. I can get into 5th and 6th during normal driving on highway just fine.

i really am at the track doing this not doing this on public roads, i go to brainerd intl raceway with a 1 mile long front stretch.

i guess my question is can anyone with an auto and 3.73 gears get the car to shift into 5th at WOT or does it lock you out? also im not pushing that hill descent button on the side of the shifter either.
Why don't you just raise the rev limiter a little bit I rub mine to 7500 RPMs

bunits19714

Established Member
It is probably tune related- mine was locked out of 5th at wot so on the eway at 156 it would hit the rev limiter then I would let off it would shift and then motor up to 160+ I had this in the tune because we were having lock up issue in the 1/4 mile and didn't want it to shift to 5th.(when I was running 3.55's and a 5c ) if you are "tuned" why do they have your rev limiter soooo lowwww???

mnblk5.0

Established Member
right its most likely tune related, but its just something I was trying to figure out if it were normal for this trans to not want to shift into 5th at WOT since its a 0.87(I think) ratio. I was worried if it was a safety thing for the motor to not want to do that or not.

mnblk5.0

Established Member
just had a thought...when i changed my gears to 3.73 i just manually entered them into the sct device and updated the tune. so I'm guessing that it has to do with a commanded shift point and rpm point not being spot on for it to not shift into 5th?

Coosawjack

Established Member
just had a thought...when i changed my gears to 3.73 i just manually entered them into the sct device and updated the tune. so I'm guessing that it has to do with a commanded shift point and rpm point not being spot on for it to not shift into 5th?

^^^You may have just answered you own question here!!^^^

Consult your tuner for a corrected tune for shifts and rev limiter and you should be fine!!:)

Holovacko

Established Member

I had the same issue. It was locked out in the tune. With 3.73 gears, you shouldn’t need 5th gear in the 1/4 mile. Either you have a lot of wheel spin off the line, or your Rev limiter is too low. More than likely, all of your shift points need to be raised along with the limiter.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

gt5.0coyote

Established Member
Hey bud. 6r80 here with 3.73s and no issues with 5th. Sounds tune related. Good luck

Sent from my iPad using svtperformance.com

Users who are viewing this thread