9” rear conversion advice

Beercules

Established Member
Don't forget about Mark Williams.

I have a currie 9" with s-trac.

If you go with strange, I think you can go through summit for free shipping.

I've heard at least one member who tried the moser but the bracketry didn't fit quite right. Currie does, I'm sure strange does.

The s-trac is advertised as stronger than the locker. People on yellow bullet say they've blown out true tracks and switch to the s- trac due to superior metal and twice the side gears. IIRC it also has a pre-load to kinda act like Ford clutch style at the hit. You do need non- synthetic lube or it will wear wrong.

You need a new drive shaft. I've asked about a metal extension for one side so I could use the original shaft, they said it would introduce vibrations/eccentricities which would be dangerous. Maybe DSS has other news? If so, I want one.

Call strange, good knowledge people.

Also use the metal core rubber gasket... reusable. Original company sells on summit (felpro or someone like that). Also just noticed currie also sells them.

The brake mounts just bolt on to the ends, I have a feeling you'd need to deal with wilwood to make sure they fit.

UCA- you need another end for it that BMR sells.

Panhard- need a relocate kit which I think is what I had to clearance a bit for the stock stock reservoir.

Sway bar- you likely already have the relocate kit for slicks.

Let me know if I can help.

Just starting the research but want to get it ordered by end of week.

How many guys here have swapped to 9” rears?

I’m done with the 8.8 whining after any drag use, looking to swap and be done, so please don’t try and make a case for the 8.8, I’ve built this twice and not spending another cent on it.

I’ve used Strange in the past, I plan to use 12.88” rear Wildwood brakes that work with a specific 16” Bogart I want to run, so no need for brakes, just the bolt in housing for my 2014.

Car already had a Magnum XL swap with an aftermarket CF driveshaft, I assume I will need a new DS?
Any chance this DSS shaft can be used with an adapter?
I already run a BMR big bearing UCA and their LCAs, I believe they make the same UCA for 9”?

Any help appreciated.
-J

Beercules

Established Member
Strange also invented the 9" for Ford way back.

Thanks guys. I run 33 spline Moser axles and an Eaton Tru Trac now so I’m planning on 35 spline and a locker most likely on the 9”
Definitely not a spool,this car is street strip and once it runs the number, I’ll keep refining the street side of it.
I need to confirm the rear brakes with Wildwood and Bogart then I’ll call Strange and order a complete unit. Currie has me interested in their 2-day turn around but it’s hard to argue the Strange Cobra Jet history.
Off to research 9” diff options.
-J

Vi_king500

Established Member
31381259_10214922721655377_3793579548373680128_n.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread