94-98 SRA Swap drag wheel B/S

TheGateKeeper

Established Member
Sorry if this is the wrong section.

I know there's about a million threads on rear wheel backspacing, but I couldn't find any that cover new edges with the 1.50" shorter 94-98 rear axle. I recently did this SRA swap in my 01 Cobra and decided to go with this axle because it was already built. It came with Springs, single adjustible shocks, moser axles, 3" threaded studs, eaton 373s and posi (which has those carbon clutches that dissolve & needs rebuilt) ...but that's not a big deal ...and also already had a girdle. So I figured HELL, I could even go with a deeper wheel and bigger tire with the shorter setup. So I grabbed it.

Now that I have it all installed in the car and can see the .75" on each side with my 03-04 17s, I'm not too sure just how deep (or how small) the backspacing should be. I'm almost to the point of ordering one of each to try and send back the one I can't use.

Wheel sizes I'm trying to decide between are 15x10s with a 5.50" backspacing or a 4.50" backspacing. Both zero offsets so the rim has as much dish as possible. That was my main idea behind this shorter axle. Not only does it look much more aggressive but there's more tire room as well.

I am definitely going to be running sticky tires and even though I trust a nice 1" hubcentric spacer whenever I drive it on the street, but I'm also on regular nitto NT555's and the car will just roast those all day long.
I'd never even consider trying it with drag radials...so that's out.

What setup would you straight track guys go with?
I guess what I'd really like is to see pictures of smaller backspaced rear wheels on new edges and the specs like axle length or year/rim & tire sizes/spacers & size or no spacer...etc

Attached pics of the car. It has the 1" spacer with stock 03-04 wheels and they sit in just a little compare to the IRS. You can see directly below in my sig the difference.
IMG_3559.JPG

Last edited:

TheGateKeeper

Established Member
Heres a pic from last year with the same rear tires and wheel +1'' Spacer setup. This is exactly where I like to have the wheel/tire in relation to the wheel well.

15x10/4.50BS or 15X10/5.50BS

image_zpsrknlrrzt.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread