96 Cobra loud popping in the exhaust at idle

Danas96Cobra

Nasty 96
Established Member
Our basically stock 96 Cobra has been experiencing parasitic voltage loss recently while sitting. It doesn't get driven much lately, but has been running just fine until a week ago when all of a sudden the battery would go flat after sitting for only two days. I dropped in a spare optima battery and it fired up fine, checked the voltage at the battery and it was 14.0v so I figured the alternator was charging it. Well, it was dead again in two days. I got the idea to take the alternator off and have Advance auto check it. It checked fine. So i put it back on and the car runs worse. It idles, but now it pops loudly in the exhaust (turn downs). I pulled the plugs, all were mint except one (#5) that had just slight discoloration. I double checked the plug wires which are four year old ford performance wires and they in the correct order, so I know the firing order isn't off. It pulls perfect vacuum at idle 20". The coils which are original checked ok on primary/secondary. I disconnected the EGR vacuum line and it improved but still popped occasionally. I have no CEL showing. I'm wondering if this is an EGR or IAC issue. BTW the fuel press is around 40# line off. Stock fuel pump I believe.
Any Suggestions? Ideas? It baffles me how removing/reinstalling the alternator caused this.

Users who are viewing this thread