97 Cobra for sale 156k miles/motor 80k

Barnstang

$7500 OBO
Hagerstown, Maryland 21740

1997 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra Coupe 156K miles - Black

Motor replaced at 156k miles with a 98 Cobra motor with 80k miles on it. Runs perfectly. This motor is spotless. Still has the inspection sticker on the back of the valve cover.

Planned mods-3.73 Ford Racing gear set. Bama X4 tuner.

New in the last several months-put the car back on the road
New (correct size) battery, new 9mm Ford Motorsport plug wires-this corrected a miss on cylinder #7-runs like new now. New Motocraft coil paks, New Evap purge valve and purge flow sensor-this cleared CEL fault code for EVAP system. New EVAP charcoal canister and vacuum lines.
New A/C compressor, receiver/dryer/oriface tube A/C line-evacuated and charged-cold A/C again.
New Continental (gatorback) serpentine belt, new tensioner pulley
New drivers side door panel-old one had huge tear in it.
New windshield, new front tires, and front end alignment.
New rear wheel bearings and seals-purchased-install with new gears.

New in the last 12 months
Aluminum radiator, Thermostat, Flowmaster mufflers, serpentine belt, Power window switches (both),
Parking brake cables, Alternator-lifetime warranty
Oil & filter change @ 156k

New in the last year:
Transmission serviced by Hanlon Motorsports.Corrected reverse sticking and replaced first gear syncro.
New throwout bearing & new Pro 5.0 shifter
Drivers door lock actuator, Trunk lid lift struts.

New in the last 3-4 years
Transmission completely overhauled by Hanlon Motorsports
Centerforce Flywheel, pressure plate, clutch disc, Correct Ford clutch fork & pivot ball
Steeda clutch cable, quadrant, & firewall adjuster
Koni sport shocks & Struts, ALL the suspension bushings. Steeda Sport Springs
Rotors, pads & battery.
All brake hoses. Cobra headlight & park light housings. Steeda pedal pads.
Rear end pinion seal, yoke & nut, rear axle seals, Energy Suspension Motor & trans mounts

This is a solid 10 foot car. Mechanically sound. It has small dents on the fenders, more than a few scratches, rear bumper cover has minor damage. Deep scratches on the front bumper cover. 4 inch rust bubble on the left rear wheel quarter panel.
I compounded the car with a power buffer, hand glazed, power buffer polished and hand waxed. It looks great.
Note: Two new front fenders included with the sale. (Will make it much easier (cheaper) to paint later on)

I repaired the left inside frame rail where they all rust out while I had the motor out-cleaned, rustproofed, painted and welded new metal over the hole. Its solid.

The car is mechanically in fantastic shape. Runs and drives like new. Cold AC
Aftermarket radio with flip up screen, bluetooth, and backup camera. All work.
Amp with subwoofer connected and works great. The Amp is mounted to back of fold down rear seat. Has original owners manual pak. Includes binder with all receipts and documentation and SVT certificate-the original one and a new one.
Has 2003 Cobra front seats-camel color. Drivers seat 6 way power adjustable. The original black leather front bucket seats are included.
Has 2003 Cobra 17" replica wheels. In good condition. Some pitting.
Local pick up preferred. Its a solid car. I would drive it anywhere.

Includes 1997 Ford service manuals

Needs: Paint & body work, 2 front tires, windshield.

Attachments

• 97Cobra1a.jpg
    97Cobra1a.jpg
    875.5 KB · Views: 525
  • motor1a.jpg
    motor1a.jpg
    808.9 KB · Views: 492
  • motor2a.jpg
    motor2a.jpg
    524 KB · Views: 511
  • motor3a.jpg
    motor3a.jpg
    537.9 KB · Views: 514
  • 20170920_162840.jpg
    20170920_162840.jpg
    347.9 KB · Views: 458
  • cobraside5a.jpg
    cobraside5a.jpg
    448.7 KB · Views: 506
  • cobrahood4a.jpg
    cobrahood4a.jpg
    524.3 KB · Views: 452
  • cobraside3a.jpg
    cobraside3a.jpg
    552.8 KB · Views: 478
  • cobrasidea1.jpg
    cobrasidea1.jpg
    530.6 KB · Views: 479
  • cobrareara2.jpg
    cobrareara2.jpg
    501.4 KB · Views: 489
Last edited:

Barnstang

Not one inquiry. Im over $10k in this car. What is wrong with it besides the price (which is OBO)
At this point I can afford to keep it and drive it. I just don't have room for it with all the other projects.

IA-SteveB

Established Member
I think the market is very weak for these cars. I've had my exceptional mostly stock 79k '96 Cobra on the market since May at $7000 without even a sniff. I see other Cobras on Facebook Marketplace for thousands more that aren't as nice. Maybe I think mine is worth that given the condition but people just aren't interested. In the end a car is only worth what someone will pay and I can afford to keep it.

Barnstang

Yes I agree. I put the car back on the road and my son and I drive it all the time. It's a blast!
I have a friend that's a serious track racer (race only 2013 cobra) and I'm seriously considering making it a track car and take it to some track daze events. Some high temp brake fluid and a set of track brake pads and tires is enough to start.
I'm just so deep in a car I should have cut my losses long ago. Once I paint it I'll certainly have to keep it. I know it's not a very desirable year but geez everything's been replaced! Some things twice!
Thanks for the post. I appreciate it!

Users who are viewing this thread