97 Cobra short block power

Eddie

Good morning all,

This might be lengthy, but I'll try to keep it short. I have a 97 Cobra with a stock motor and a Vortech V1. The engine has 27,000 miles on it. I have been considering getting a short block or rebuild the block to make more power; however, I have seen individuals make 470, 480, even 500 on a stock motor with no issues. That said, are people just lucky to have made that power or is it truly the tune that saves the engine and allows it to make that kind of power with no issues. Everyone (mostly) agrees that 450 is the max for these engines, but I'm not too convinced that be the case. So questions time; knowing the mileage of the engine, knowing that it is not a track car, and knowing that at the most it might be driven on Friday and Saturday for a miles and not always in boost or pegging the rpms at 6500, would anyone go with a smaller pulley, make a bit more power, and not worry about the motor going? Thanks for the responses.

nomoretickets

Established Member
The problem with going to 450+ hp w/ boost on these cars is that the pistons and rods and hypereutectic alloys so they tolerate all of about ZERO detonation. More boost more timing (i.e. making more power) increases the risk of detonation. The tune is absolutely CRITICAL in maintaining any semblance of reliability at 450+. At that level, some form of charge cooling is also pretty much a requirement (intercooler, aftercooler, etc.). To reduce the risk of detonation, you would probably want to look at a water/meth kit or e85. However, all this really does is reduce the risk of detonation. It only needs to happen once though to just obliterate one of those pistons or rods. Those you see who are going well above 450rwhp on the stock bottom end are likely running a very stable tune from a highly reputable tuner, and some combination of all the supporting mods to reduce the risk of detonation. They are also probably not driving the car a whole bunch or that hard. The other thing is that once you go past 450, the stock T45 becomes a weak point, as will the rear end if you are ever launching the car on sticky tires.

Greasy on here has a 97 with similar miles to yours, pushing 450ish through a paxton, FMIC, and solid tune, and has been running for years. Hopefully he can chime in with some input.

04DeadShort

SVT Addict
Established Member
Been running a Vortech S-trim on my stock engine 98 for over 6 years now with 10psi pulley (3.33). I fabbed up a air to air intercooler from cx racing years back to help keep intake air temps down, changed the fuel pump, injectors, mass air, and delete the IMRC's. Car made 448hp/357tq to the dirt. I daily drive mine and hit 18-21 mpg's. Most of the time it see's 5psi, to pass someone or something of that nature. Every once in awhile I'll run it to red line and it see's 10-11psi. I change my plugs and fluids and regular intervals. No issue at all here. My engine is a reman with about 40k miles on it now.

HiPlains

Established Member
450 rwhp max unless you build the motor. Otherwise, you are on borrowed time even with a good tune.

I had a built motor and blew the living snot out of it at approx. 450 hp, although it had some issues. It's getting a complete rebuild, all forged internals, ported heads ...expecting 575-600rwhp. And a tranny upgrade as well.

bullitt_11

Established Member
Staying below 450 is probably the safest option. However, plenty of people have been at 500 with zero issues. Me being one of them. Plenty of people have also sent a rod below 500. A lot of it is how much you trust your tuner.

For reference mine made 492 rwhp on 18 degrees of timing. It saw plenty of track time and 7k rpm shifts for 2 years with zero issues.

BOTTLEFED5

booost+spray= me
Established Member
I ran 480+ for 2 years,then switched to e85 and ran 550+ until last year when i pulled motor and i was not nice to it at all lol 100k mile shortblock

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

greasy

SVT Noob
Established Member
500 RWHP here and no issues for over 3 years. The car is not daily driven and probably gets driven around 3K per year, but when it is out she does get flogged on!

Due to the concern of potential detonation I try to run half 93 and half 100. Car is still Rick solid......knock on wood.

Last edited:

1996MysticSnake

Established Member
505 @ the wheel here on 14 degrees of timing and no issues. I shift at 6200 to help keep it together. Also spray a little meth to prevent donation.

Been running like this for about 3 years and multiple track passes. Broken everything so far except the motor lol

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

eliel65

Established Member
im running mine at 680hp turbo car running e85 only... 50k stock short block beating on it to 7k rpm... tuned by chris groove at the dyno edge abq...

1996MysticSnake

Established Member
im running mine at 680hp turbo car running e85 only... 50k stock short block beating on it to 7k rpm... tuned by chris groove at the dyno edge abq...
You can't be serious?

Never heard of a stock motor taking that kind of power

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread