98 4r70w interchange

Billgluckman

Established Member
Recently bought a 98 gt for cheap and not wanting to put much into it. I’ve been told the crown Vic 4r70w is not interchangeable. Does anyone know the differences? It seems odd that Ford would make big differences between the mustang and crown Vic drivetrain parts.

Sluggie24

Established Member
As far as I know the passenger car 4r70w transmissions from 97-03 are all basically the same but some might have different tailshaft housings. (Easy enough to change) 04 used a different part inside for speed sensor to read.

The only thing I can think of that might also be different would be gear ratios in the planet but I'm not sure about that.

Billgluckman

Established Member
As far as I know the passenger car 4r70w transmissions from 97-03 are all basically the same but some might have different tailshaft housings. (Easy enough to change) 04 used a different part inside for speed sensor to read.

The only thing I can think of that might also be different would be gear ratios in the planet but I'm not sure about that.

That makes sense to me. We actually just had a crown Vic roll up at work. When the lift is free I’m gonna try to measure the trans and take some reference pics to compare with my mustang.

Billgluckman

Established Member
Idk if anyone has experienced this but the trans slips only when it wants to shift gears.

If I put the car in 1st gear and shift up manually it never slips. I’ve never had this problem

Users who are viewing this thread