98 cobra electrical help!! please!!!

Alegend123

Established Member
Need help or suggestions folks!! So bout 2 hours ago I'm running down the road nothing real crazy I had my sctx4 plugged in to see data logging gauges and I downshifted to 2nd(coming up to a stop light) my radio dies,speedo goes flat lined and my sct is smoking(literally) damn car smells straight like burnt electrical so I pulled the sct dongle and pulled into gas station the damn sct is actually still smoking I'm like WTF car still running great. I shut her down and refired just to make sure she runs and no problems there but I notice the power door locks don't work either not on the door switches and the key fob doesn't work either... so I fired the car up and ran home she's stilling running great but it's now raining and dark as sh*t so I haven't dug into it. Kinda at a loss as to what the hell happened any suggestion would be appreciated!!

As of right now the speedo,radio,power door locks, and key fob don't work after this may be more but not sure as of now

04DeadShort

SVT Addict
Established Member
What the hell!! I just read about something similar to this happening on a Lightning with a sct tuner. Pull out your owners manual if you still have it and start checking fuses.

Alegend123

Established Member
Day two of straight rain so haven't gotten into it yet hopefully can start to figure it out tomorrow.. luckily the cobra is not a daily driver lol

Alegend123

Established Member
Well rain stopped and appears to only be about a half dozen blown fuses everything is replaced and working again! Not sure what the hell happened but luckily nothing too major destroyed other than my sct tuner with my factory settings on it kinda sucks being out $300ish for a tuner but I guess it could be worse

jgt58

Established Member
Your grounding out dude. Do you have everything wired up solid on your cig lighter or console? When I tried to put a power port in, this happened

1996 mustang cobra... many mods...

Alegend123

Established Member
Checked all the grounds and cig lighter and aux on arm rest everything looks ok and hasn't acted up since so hope it's good to go

Users who are viewing this thread