98 cobra vortech boost ?

craigjames46

Established Member
i have a 98 cobra with a v2 s trim stock 3.60 pulley 42 pound injectors 300 lph fuel pump and aderson power pipe why is this car making 13pounds of boost on this stock pulley car made 464 hp 441 tourqe at 5 grand the power pipe giving me that much tuner said if i go too 6800 im gonna be around 500 wheel hp and 13 psi whats goin on

ZeroDCX

Established Member
Boost sounds really high for a S-Trim with a stock 3.6'' pulley @ 5k RPM. Are you sure you're not running an upgraded SI-Trim, T-Trim or TI-Trim? The V2 does have an increased step-up ratio resulting in building more boost sooner than the V1 series, but it should not be this significant. The Anderson Power Pipe also adds to boost increases. Research has shown approximately +2 psi dependent on temperature.

Are you running an oversized damper?

SVTPete83

Established Member
Oversized damper would be my guess as well. No way you should be pulling 13psi on the stock pulley.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ZeroDCX

Established Member
Agreed, the OP should be seeing 8-10 psi depending on temperature and inlet configuration.

craigjames46

Established Member
Oversized damper would be my guess as well. No way you should be pulling 13psi on the stock pulley.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
idk what a damper is but all my pulleys are stock so is the one on the blower i got the blower used

craigjames46

Established Member
Boost sounds really high for a S-Trim with a stock 3.6'' pulley @ 5k RPM. Are you sure you're not running an upgraded SI-Trim, T-Trim or TI-Trim? The V2 does have an increased step-up ratio resulting in building more boost sooner than the V1 series, but it should not be this significant. The Anderson Power Pipe also adds to boost increases. Research has shown approximately +2 psi dependent on temperature.

Are you running an oversized damper?
its a stock v2 s trim too my knowledge it does have the stock 3.60 pulley on it all my pulleys are original too my car besides the water pump pulley that i had too change

craigjames46

Established Member
how can i tell if the damper has been changed idk no much about super chargers this is my first car I'm doing but i do know its a stock 3.60 cause i ordered one too swap out and when i took the blower off too change it was the same size lol

ZeroDCX

Established Member
When we refer to the damper, we're referring to the crankshaft pulley or harmonic balancer. The stock damper size is 6.5. If you have an oversized damper, it will spin all pulleys and idlers faster with each complete rotation than the stock sized damper. Therefore the blower pulley spins faster and produces more boost without a blower pulley change.

From everything that I've read:
10% Overdrive is approx. 4psi increase
15% Overdrive is approx. 6psi increase

At 5000 RPM you're only spinning that blower 31,145 RPM ... No where near max impeller RPM.

Impeller RPM = Crank Pulley Diameter x Step Up Ratio x Engine RPM /
Supercharger Pulley Diameter

Again, are you sure you're just running the regular V2 S-Trim? It seems really strange. I would call Vortech with the serial number and see what they can tell you about the unit.

craigjames46

Established Member
well my car has the stock crank pulley from ford i put the 3.80 pulley on it and the car is still makin 10 psi

craigjames46

Established Member
When we refer to the damper, we're referring to the crankshaft pulley or harmonic balancer. The stock damper size is 6.5. If you have an oversized damper, it will spin all pulleys and idlers faster with each complete rotation than the stock sized damper. Therefore the blower pulley spins faster and produces more boost without a blower pulley change.

From everything that I've read:
10% Overdrive is approx. 4psi increase
15% Overdrive is approx. 6psi increase

At 5000 RPM you're only spinning that blower 31,145 RPM ... No where near max impeller RPM.

Impeller RPM = Crank Pulley Diameter x Step Up Ratio x Engine RPM /
Supercharger Pulley Diameter

Again, are you sure you're just running the regular V2 S-Trim? It seems really strange. I would call Vortech with the serial number and see what they can tell you about the unit.

craigjames46

Established Member
i gave them the number and its a regular v2 s trim the guy didn't have any answer on it he said that the power pipe must be giving the extra boost no with the 3.80 pulley its at 10 psi

Shake&Bake

1998 Triple Black Cobra
Established Member
I have the 3.33 pulley, Meth Injection and Powerpipe and currently at 13 pounds of boost, 500 RWHP. I don't see how a 3.6 pulley could hit 13 pounds. Something is a miss.

ZeroDCX

Established Member
OP: what's your exhaust system consist of? Factory logs with factory exhaust?

I'm under the assumption that you're trying to discern whether his exhaust is causing a restriction? I thought about that too, but the OP stated he's making 464 hp 441 ft/lb @ 5k RPMs, so I ruled that out.

Users who are viewing this thread