99 Cobra issues.....again....

PotatoC570

Established Member
Good Morning fellas.

The past few weeks have been hectic for me but I finally got some time to work on my car.

I had an issue where code P0340 would show up and my car was only running on half the motor. After wire chasing for days, I decided to pop open the valve cover on the driver side which was not firing at all and you will never guess what I found.

What I found was nothing on the primary cam gear.

Yes, I snapped a timing chain. I was just driving back and forth to work on my rebuild, put about 400 +/- miles on the motor and a pin must have failed in the chain and snapped. Obviously metal shavings galore.

Now, I am going to pick up a whole set and do all the chains, sprockets, guides, and tensoners. What else should I do? I do not want to tear the motor out of the car again because I really do not have a good space to do it all over again. I can keep it in the garage where I have it for the time being but should I replace my oil pump and drop my pan because of all the metal?

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
I would pull the pan to check and see how much metal ended up down there. I'd also cut the oil filter open and look for shavings.

I also hate being the bearer of bad news, but these engines are interference engines. Unless you're running dished pistons there's a chance the valves smacked the pistons. A compression test after the chains are back on will tell you if you got lucky or not.

PotatoC570

Established Member
I would pull the pan to check and see how much metal ended up down there. I'd also cut the oil filter open and look for shavings.

I also hate being the bearer of bad news, but these engines are interference engines. Unless you're running dished pistons there's a chance the valves smacked the pistons. A compression test after the chains are back on will tell you if you got lucky or not.

I do have dished pistons in the motor because I built it for boost. Also I have a terminator gasket kit in which is a touch thicker than the standard cobra.

Can I pull the pan in the car?

gt347mustang

Established Member
Good Morning fellas.

The past few weeks have been hectic for me but I finally got some time to work on my car.

I had an issue where code P0340 would show up and my car was only running on half the motor. After wire chasing for days, I decided to pop open the valve cover on the driver side which was not firing at all and you will never guess what I found.

What I found was nothing on the primary cam gear.

Yes, I snapped a timing chain. I was just driving back and forth to work on my rebuild, put about 400 +/- miles on the motor and a pin must have failed in the chain and snapped. Obviously metal shavings galore.

Now, I am going to pick up a whole set and do all the chains, sprockets, guides, and tensoners. What else should I do? I do not want to tear the motor out of the car again because I really do not have a good space to do it all over again. I can keep it in the garage where I have it for the time being but should I replace my oil pump and drop my pan because of all the metal?

Send it to a shop. If you're lucky you didn't bend a valve and somebody should be able to re time the engine.

PotatoC570

Established Member
Hopefully you find your mistake and fix it this time.
I put on brand new heads, new forged crank, forged rods, and a set of dished cast pistons on. HO oil pump. The only thing that was not brand new was the timing set which was replaced when I purchased the car. I put 20k miles on the car before I the rod bearing spun and snapped my rod.

PotatoC570

Established Member
So you had 400 easy(low rpm) miles on the engine and that snapped the chain?

Yes. I was just cruising down the highway in 5th gear doing about 60, then there was a slight incline and I lost all power. No knocks, not clinks or clanks. Had oil pressure. Not even a code until I shut it down and restarted it. I don't know if the chain itself failed, or if there is a cam issue. I did not touch the heads other than installing them, I bought them reman The car worked great. Ran great. I kept it low not passing 4000 rpm at all. I was on my second oil change of the break in.

It is the luck I have. My Cobra had 90k on the motor. I was driving into town going to work, downshifted into third where I always downshifted and that is when the rod snapped.

Personally, I love my car but it has turned into a complete money pit. I am half tempted to put a 393 stroker or something close to that because I am tired of working on this 4.6l

Users who are viewing this thread