A lot of “popping” at idle *video*

Mpoitrast87

Established Member
Can you datalog? This way you can eliminate any other issues that could be contributing to your problem.

You need to verify voltage to the cylinder coil that seems to be dead, make sure that injector is actually working and verify the cam sensor is working correctly as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I’d need to buy the cable that goes to the tuner to the laptop. Also, have no idea how to datalog

TBCobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
Datalogging is easy honestly. There are plenty of YT videos out there that can walk you through it. Your tuner should have come with the usb cable.

Dirty maf sensor? Injector stuck open/running rich?

Mpoitrast87

Established Member
Datalogging is easy honestly. There are plenty of YT videos out there that can walk you through it. Your tuner should have come with the usb cable.

Dirty maf sensor? Injector stuck open/running rich?
Bought the car already tuned. Cleaned maf sensor multiple times. Fuel pressure never bleeds off so thinking injectors are fine

SVTdreamin04

What's a "Termi"???
Established Member
Premium Member
Bought the car already tuned. Cleaned maf sensor multiple times. Fuel pressure never bleeds off so thinking injectors are fine

If it's stuck shut pressure wouldn't bleed off.

And yes, data logging is easy. What kind of tuner are you running?

MG0h3

Established Member
Your car have cats still? That sounds like a lot more than once cylinder is struggling to me

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

SVTdreamin04

What's a "Termi"???
Established Member
Premium Member
If it’s stuck shut wouldn’t resistance be high? And sct x3

Mechanical failure for the most part wouldn't affect resistance. A change in resistance would be related to an electrical failure. Your injector could also be clogged with something.

Keep your focus on the key element here. You pulled all of your plugs and 7 out of the 8 looked the same. So, troubleshooting 101 would lead me done the path of focusing on that cylinder itself. You need to eliminate everything that makes that dead cylinder work.

1. Make 100% certain that injector is working. You need to know for sure it is. Right now we are assuming it is. I myself would not think that until I seen it spray for myself.

2. We need to know that coil is firing off. Have you pulled the plug on the dead cylinder to see if it was wet? If your injector is not firing, the plug shod be dry. If it is and you aren't getting spark, the plug should be wet.

Eliminate these things and then we can narrow it down even more. Process of elimination.

You have eliminated it being a bad coil and a bad spark plug, so eliiminatr the rest of the things mentioned.

MG0h3

Established Member
I agree with above, something isn't right with that cylinder. If the plug isn't wet, you aren't getting fuel there because it def. isn't firing.

Also, did you address the fuel yet? I know its a pita but that does not sound like a single dead hole to me any longer.

Mpoitrast87

Established Member
Mechanical failure for the most part wouldn't affect resistance. A change in resistance would be related to an electrical failure. Your injector could also be clogged with something.

Keep your focus on the key element here. You pulled all of your plugs and 7 out of the 8 looked the same. So, troubleshooting 101 would lead me done the path of focusing on that cylinder itself. You need to eliminate everything that makes that dead cylinder work.

1. Make 100% certain that injector is working. You need to know for sure it is. Right now we are assuming it is. I myself would not think that until I seen it spray for myself.

2. We need to know that coil is firing off. Have you pulled the plug on the dead cylinder to see if it was wet? If your injector is not firing, the plug shod be dry. If it is and you aren't getting spark, the plug should be wet.

Eliminate these things and then we can narrow it down even more. Process of elimination.

You have eliminated it being a bad coil and a bad spark plug, so eliiminatr the rest of the things mentioned.

All plugs dry

SVTdreamin04

What's a "Termi"???
Established Member
Premium Member
Stop running the car and drain that tank. Fresh fuel asap

I somewhat agree with this statement, and personally I would have done that myslef. But, he said he noticed this issue prior to starting it this year for the first time.

Mpoitrast87

Established Member
I agree with above, something isn't right with that cylinder. If the plug isn't wet, you aren't getting fuel there because it def. isn't firing.

Also, did you address the fuel yet? I know its a pita but that does not sound like a single dead hole to me any longer.
I know fuel pressure is good and that injectors are firing. I have a modified stethoscope and I can each one clicking.

SVTdreamin04

What's a "Termi"???
Established Member
Premium Member
Again.....the injector could be clogged. All this stuff you are doing is great....but you still don't know if th3 injector is actually spraying.

MG0h3

Established Member
Whats the story with the camshaft position sensor code? Did you clear it and has it returned. Never heard of these cars jumping a tooth but that sounds very similar to when imports jump one with a belt driven system.

Mpoitrast87

Established Member
Again.....the injector could be clogged. All this stuff you are doing is great....but you still don't know if th3 injector is actually spraying.

Outside of sending injectors to be tested is datalogging the only other way?

Users who are viewing this thread