aftermarket oil cooler setup ?

mach32qc

hello guys,

im placing parts together to make an eaton swap on my mach1 and i first tought the 2003-2004 cobra oil cooler was too expensive for an used parts so i decided to replace it with aftermarket parts.

I need to specify that im a noob with oil cooler setup

I bought a plate to put on the engine block on ebay (moroso 23681 style) that goes where the oem oil cooler unit should be. Also bought a mishimoto oil cooler kit with a thermostatic sandwich plate included (MMOC-UT). Seems to me that it will be impossible to use this sandwich plate since it is made to fit where the oil filter mount to (would be on the oem oil cooler), parts that i dont have. I still need a remote oil filter piece. Is there a remote oil filter piece available that the sandwich plate could fit on or this kind of things dont exist? Can i just not use the thermostatic sandwich plate in the setup and expect good results or oil will stay too cold? (cooler is a little 10 rows)

Any help would be welcome, i searched a lot on the subject and dont find the specific infos that could help me

98_Undertaker

Established Member
I bought the mmr block adapter, the transdapt filter adapter, fittings, cx racing cooler and hoses, haven’t got around to installing it all yet but it will probably be my winter project.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

mach32qc

I bought the mmr block adapter, the transdapt filter adapter, fittings, cx racing cooler and hoses, haven’t got around to installing it all yet but it will probably be my winter project.

So you would run your setup without a thermostat?

There is a nice thermostatic remote filter piece available (as shown below) to put a Thermosthat on the plumbing (by improved racing) but its $$. I wonder if this is a must.

Remote Engine Oil Filter Mount with Thermostat, 185°F, -10AN | eBay

Dave.O

Established Member
I used a mmr trax pack kit with a 210' remote filter mount / thermostat from improved racing. You should also install real oil pressures and temp gauges/ sensors while you are in there

mach32qc

I used a mmr trax pack kit with a 210' remote filter mount / thermostat from improved racing. You should also install real oil pressures and temp gauges/ sensors while you are in there

Ill probably end up using a piece from improved racing as well. Maybe if i find good feedback on the brand greedy i could use one of theirs remote filter/thermostat just to save a little. (link below)

Im planning to do oil gauges as well

Greddy Thermostatic Oil Sandwich Plate Adapter -10 AN Fittings 12401114 4580347653313 | eBay

mach32qc

For future reference this is what the Maddogperformance "MOROSO 23681 style" plate look like.

https://www.zupimages.net/up/18/31/vky5.jpg

Was cheaper than moroso and mmr and quality seem not bad.

Note that the included in / out fitting for the oil are 10 an to 12an (black) For my application with the mishimoto 10an i needed them replaced them and ive done it with (blue) edelbrock/russel 660370 10an to 10an.

These 660370 might not be the best choice as they are too long because both side are same lenght and would have needed one shorter side (no big deal to modify)

Last edited:

mach32qc

viewer.php

Dave.O

Established Member
I went with improved racing for the same reason I tend to lean toward maximum motorsports, the access to install, trouble shooting and tech support is second to none

Modular Racing

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Here is a pic of the MMR kit and link:

Ford Modular MMR TraX Pack Oil Cooler kit 4.6 Mustang GT / COBRA [439159] - $499.99 : Modular Motorsports, Home of the Worlds Fastest Modular Engines

MMR TraX Pack Oil cooler System This kit adds a High efficiency Oil cooler for ALL 1996 -10 Models and remotely mounts the Oil filter to any location. With this cooler both Oil temps and Water temps dramatically decrease and engine reliability and HP go up! Kit includes all items shown. Some modification to the rubber lower radiator hose may be required. Black Braided Line Included. A must for Road racing, Mile long events, Performance street driving and Drag racing etc. Cooler can be mounted in any position or location that sees airflow (airflow does not need to be direct but is suggested for optimum cooling) Fits all 96-2010 applications.

* Fits all 4.6 / 5.4 Engine Blocks

CONNECTIONS: ALWAYS CONNECT OUT to IN and IN to OUT- NEVER CONNECT OUT TO OUT or IN to IN - this will result in ZERO oil pressure!!!!!

439159_.jpg

mach32qc

Here is a pic of the MMR kit and link:

Ford Modular MMR TraX Pack Oil Cooler kit 4.6 Mustang GT / COBRA [439159] - $499.99 : Modular Motorsports, Home of the Worlds Fastest Modular Engines

MMR TraX Pack Oil cooler System This kit adds a High efficiency Oil cooler for ALL 1996 -10 Models and remotely mounts the Oil filter to any location. With this cooler both Oil temps and Water temps dramatically decrease and engine reliability and HP go up! Kit includes all items shown. Some modification to the rubber lower radiator hose may be required. Black Braided Line Included. A must for Road racing, Mile long events, Performance street driving and Drag racing etc. Cooler can be mounted in any position or location that sees airflow (airflow does not need to be direct but is suggested for optimum cooling) Fits all 96-2010 applications.

* Fits all 4.6 / 5.4 Engine Blocks

CONNECTIONS: ALWAYS CONNECT OUT to IN and IN to OUT- NEVER CONNECT OUT TO OUT or IN to IN - this will result in ZERO oil pressure!!!!!

View attachment 1505970

Your kit was interesting too, but no thermostat included. Would have been nice with a thermostated remote filter included. AS it is now, it have the same problem as the mishimoto kit i went with (that as one but that doesnt fit), need to buy extra pieces to make it work, if one want to have a thermostat on his setup.

Last edited:

2000GTSTANG

Established Member
Is that a B&M cooler in the MMR kit? Looks identical.

Also, does anyone with an oil cooler have some before and after temps of either oil and/or coolant? Im interested in how much cooler the engine may run with an oil cooler in place.

Users who are viewing this thread