Alternator cooling mods, heat shield and ducting

I never claimed that I had the cure for this problem, it was my way of addressing some of the believed to be contributing factors to the said problem.
Opinions are like belly buttons or other parts of the human anatomy, everyone is entitled to at least one.
If these threads frustrate you to the point of ridiculing or finding the efforts of others annoying you can either contribute in a more positive manner or don't bother at all.
Over the many years of owning high performance vehicles I've tried numerous things to address various problems, some were successful, some were not.
But the bigger point I'm trying to make here is that I tried.
You seem to look at a glass as being half-empty, while I look at it as being half-full.
BTW, you never did answer my question about being proactive or reactive.

As far as people who don't drive their vehicles enough, that's their choice, but I would feel better knowing that I have made some improvements that are sound in theory than doing nothing at all if and when I am driving my Cobra. It may be a gimmick to you, but I believe it's a positive contribution to known problem.

Listen...if you guys don't want to drive your cars on here...then by all means don't.

But some of you guys make threads, SUGGESTING to people that you have a 'fix' for their alternator issues. Which you simply do not.

Please drop the babe in the woods routine with me.

You guys know exactly what you are trying to suggest to people with these air duct threads. And you can't substantiate your claims because you guys don't even put a substantial amount of miles on your cars.

And YEA that bugs me big time. When you guys don't even subject your cars to the daily abuse of a dd seeing all seasons, then want to hold up a 'fix.'

And that's what you guys are trying to do. just don't have the balls to actually say it, but then want to flame me when I call you guys out on what you posting on here.

I'll tell you what...cause I'm a fair guy...get back to me when you get 42k out of your OEM alternator with your air ducts...and I'll eat crow.

cause I got 42k out of mine, in rain, sleet & snow and seeing dd duty and never had an air duct hooked to them. In fact I bet I could have gotten more if I swapped out my 2.6 pulley for a 3.0 and overspun it a little.

That's the simple point I'm trying to make. I'm on my 3rd alternator. Its not like I haven't looked at this issue myself.

Tractionless1

Established Member
Its not an issue of appreciating pics or anyone's work on the weekend.

Its an issue of the fact that none of these things offer any kind of substantiated proof that we're looking at an air issue, causing the failure of alternators.

I mean if some of you guys never even bother putting any serious miles, in daily driving, then how can you try and sell people that you just need an air duct and you're good to go?

To date, in daily driving, real world activity, the most I ever got out of an OEM Ford alternator, is about 42k. That's all year round driving. No air duct, nothing.

I simply don't like when people, who never put any serious miles on these cars for whatever fears, try selling people on reasons for alternator failures, that can't be backed up.

In fact, I think a real solution to getting longevity out of these alternators, for the upper only guys is a 3.0 vs. a 2.6 pulley, and for the upper/lower guys is the proper sized alternator pulley based on the combos.

Don't attempt to sell people on your gimmick weekend projects, when you don't have any miles to back up the claims. That's just feeding false hope into guys. Its not an attack on your efforts or ingenuity. Its an attack on declaring you have it figured out when you can't even hit the miles stock alternators can hit, with all this jazz...

Never did I or anyone else say it was a fix. Quit reading between the lines to make an argument that is unwarranted. Congrats on your 42k non ducted alternator, you got a good one and I'm sure you realize their hit and miss. FYI I ran a 4" pulley on mine, so I don't need your pulley ratio lecture. Although I'd like to see your rational for putting a 3" in place of a 2.6" and how it would overspin the alt., because you're dead wrong!!! A larger alternator pulley would underspin the alt., IE slow it down to help it run cooler. When you can grasp that I'll let you lecture me.

Not selling anyone on anything and couldn't care less if no one does it. If you think the reported voltage gain due to cooling effect is worth the 10 mins it takes to run the duct, do it. If not don't I really don't give damn. There is zero negatives in attempting the project other than a $15 duct and the time it takes most to take a dump.

No reason to hate on us that have choices and don't have to drive our cars. For some of us it's not our first or for that matter second, third, fourth, fifth, sixth, or in my case seventh mode of transportation. :p

Last edited:

timbo3282

Established Member
b009.gif

b008.gif

Do you not drive in the rain? I can't imagine the alternator would appreciate being soaked in a rainstorm.

On my 91 LX 5.0 I had ram air and the air box was full of water if it rained.

Tractionless1

Established Member
Do you not drive in the rain? I can't imagine the alternator would appreciate being soaked in a rainstorm.

On my 91 LX 5.0 I had ram air and the air box was full of water if it rained.

Not a daily driver and when I've gotten caught in the rain there is zero evidence of any water etc. on the alternator. FWIW the duct isn't a garden hose, is covered top and bottom by the bumper cover, and I never drive in anyone's mist (not even in the dry). My fully open hood vents don't even let much water in either, takes about 5 mins. to clean up water spots.

b002.gif

Wicked46

Under Pressure
Established Member
A buddy and I were talking about alternator cooling the other day... Has anyone tried to relocate the regulator to keep it away from the heat?

Tractionless1

Established Member
A buddy and I were talking about alternator cooling the other day... Has anyone tried to relocate the regulator to keep it away from the heat?

Nations offers a remote regulated unit as does Billet Tech. I believe runs a Billet Tech. with remote regulator, other than that I haven't seen anyone else. I have seen a handful of owners running the Nation's units, just can't recall any names. I run a std. Billet Tech and can't get it to run below 13.8v no matter what I do. Typical range is 13.8-14.7. :banana:

b_dike

Established Member
Original alt bit the dust a 75k. Replaced it with a remanned unit and cooling duct. Been fine for last 8k. I know these aren't the miles the original alt made, but it's on its way. It just takes some time, and no I don't drive my car everyday.

Tractionless1

Established Member
Original alt bit the dust a 75k. Replaced it with a remanned unit and cooling duct. Been fine for last 8k. I know these aren't the miles the original alt made, but it's on its way. It just takes some time, and no I don't drive my car everyday.

Good info. and thanks for sharing. By the way no one in their right mind expects you to drive it every day, no worries. :thumbsup:

03sonicblu

going 4 broke
Established Member
wanna make a spare and sell it?
what thread bolt and size?

Alternator job isn't fun, and is wosre when its 110+ degrees so I procrastinated on doing a cooling mod until now. Stocker made it 40k, Ebay 160 about 3k. I have a spare waiting for when it goes again.

The regulator is about 4" from the exhaust port #5. This is an unhappy place to be. I added a heat shield between the Alt and exhaust, above the oil filter. The shield uses the forward bolt hole and is located between the 2 holes
DSCF0001_zps195c9206.jpg

First I made a template out if flashing, then transfered to 1/8" aluminum.
DSCF0003_zps49bdb848.jpg

View from top
DSCF0014_zps23c1da87.jpg

3" Duct from left fog light vent goes to the lower left front side of the alternator to feed it cooler air.
DSCF0010_zpsf05308b4.jpg

:beer:

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Heat, and inappropriate pulley/(torque) will kill an alternator.

Turbo Cobras lose alternators as much and more so than sc Cobras.

I went through the stock alternator and a ford racing one within 55,000 miles. (The replacement lasted about 5k miles.)

The issue was heat. I had engine bay temps exceeding well past 175°. Most alternators die around 150°.

On my new turbo system we had the entire hotside and full exhaust heat coated. It's not wrapped. Just jetblack coating.

After dyno pulls, I can go and grab the down pipe. It's like 100-110°. Tops, probably less.

I haven't lost the newest alternator yet. I think it will last a long time.

I want to build a heat shield for it and coat the shield in jetblack coating. I think that would basically make the alternator location a non issue. Mine is nestled in the valley.

Additionally, jetblack coated air filter shields would probably make for much more efficient "cold air" intakes.

With all my coating, my fuel lines never get hot any more, which run close by the exhaust. My inlet air temps hover in te 40-60° range, but it's a custom turbo car.

In general, tackle heat, and tackle torque. You can't under drive or overheat an alternator and expect it to last

Users who are viewing this thread